PDA

View Full Version : Alysheba Dead

sandpit
03-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Very sad news from the KY Horse Park:

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10087471&nav=menu203_2

DJofSD
03-28-2009, 10:53 AM
It's always sad to have to put a horse down.

I hope Randy Moss passes on to the viewing public this news.

I know traditional media has prepared obits for people but I wonder if the racing community does that for horses?

MickJ26
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Very sad news from the KY Horse Park:

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10087471&nav=menu203_2

Rest in peace, Alysheba, one of the great legends of the sport.

toetoe
03-28-2009, 11:49 AM
That was a special Derby. I loved Bet Twice, but when Alysheba recovered from his near-fall, then rallied to win, it was compelling tee-vee. Also, Jack Van Berg crying in the winner's circle was wonderful.

joanied
03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
My eyes :( teared up as soon as I saw the headlines...Alysheba had to be one of America's most popular horses...and a true champion...that Derby win was an awesome testament to class & courage.

Rest in Peace 'ol hoss.

ranchwest
03-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I was at LAD to see Alysheba win the Super Derby. I think that was the biggest wager I ever placed and included the exacta.

I also hit the exacta with him on bottom in the Breeders Cup.

Thanks, Alysheba. You were a great horse and a great horse to watch.

Living Flame
03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Damn, my friend and I were planning a trip to go see him. Very sad, he may have been the last ( or one of the last) of the nearly great ones.:(

joanied
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Damn, my friend and I were planning a trip to go see him. Very sad, he may have been the last ( or one of the last) of the nearly great ones.:(

Bummer you didn't get there to see him. I didn't know he had some sort of neurological thing going on...he looked so damned good when he arrived at the Park. I wish he'd gotten more time there to enjoy his senior years...but at least he was home.
:( Me too.

jognlope
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Pat Day's favorite ride, I heard him say once.

jognlope
03-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I must be wrong about Pat, must have been McCarron...

eastie
03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
that race in the classic was awesome. Waquoit was the best mudder I've ever seen, and in top form. Seeking th Gold ran terrrific and Alysheba still beat them both....stone cold runner.

strapper
03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Loved Alysheba! He was probably not given his due in the annals of the Turf. I'll never forget him since he was my last good priced winner of the Derby even though I never got the bet down in those prehistoric pre-OTB days. My entrusted sources both failed to place my wager of $5 to win so I got diddly! Anyway, I know Jack VB shed a tear over his passing for this truly was his BIG HORSE in a lifetime of thousands of steeds. Alysheba RIP.

Shemp Howard
03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Best horse ever to break his maiden at Turfway Park:ThmbUp:

slew101
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Waquoit's 3rd in that race was incredible since he dueled with another horse right out of the gate, I think Slew City Slew, and still held the lead until mid stretch.

that race in the classic was awesome. Waquoit was the best mudder I've ever seen, and in top form. Seeking th Gold ran terrrific and Alysheba still beat them both....stone cold runner.

mannyberrios
03-28-2009, 07:32 PM
:1:My eyes :( teared up as soon as I saw the headlines...Alysheba had to be one of America's most popular horses...and a true champion...that Derby win was an awesome testament to class & courage.

Rest in Peace 'ol hoss.I bet him in that race. Very sad, rest in peace

Hajck Hillstrom
03-29-2009, 12:04 PM
....Derby winner, and will probably remain my favorite as a result. What made the win even sweeter was that I declared him the Derby winner after Alysheba's fast closing 3rd place finish in the `86 BC Juvenile.

Without question, the finest physical specimen I ever saw step on the track. When Alysheba was in a post parade, it was unusual not to see him on the muscle with that neck bowed. His example would be one I would use to display the body language of the winning race horse, and I'm sure it has been used many times over.

Another champion has passed, but the sport is better because of him, and when my memory fades, I will still remember those blue and white checked silks of Chris McCarron pulling Alysheba up from his knees midstretch on that first Saturday in May of 1987.

R.I.P. son of Bel Sheba. You did your daddy, Lt. Stevens, proud, and you were the finest horse that the great Jack VanBerg ever trained. Legendary status is an understatement.

DanG
03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Bob on the HTR board put together an excellent tribute post to Alysheba if anyone is interested…

http://www.homebased2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8968