PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hambleton

shoelessjoe
03-28-2009, 06:59 AM
In the 2nd edition of Pace Makes the Race that Tom and Dick Schmidt wrote Tom wrote about a software program that Michael Perry did for him.Basically it used the TPR formula to come up with a 1st and 2nd fraction and also incorporated running style position.It sounded like an interesting concept and I wondered if this was ever put out on the market.

RonTiller
03-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Michael Perry wrote several programs for Tom, starting with (I believe) Win Formula. Then Michael wrote ThoroVision with Bill Burns and by that time, Michael had his plate full with his own program, so there wasn't much movement with Tom's programs after that.

He did write a program for Tom called TPR 95 (after Windows 95), and it had both Tom's TPR and Jim Cramer's RsPos information in it; Tom had been using both for several years. The program used our data files and Michael Perry, as always, did a very good job with it. This was around the time the 2nd edition of TPR came out, so that was probably the program he was referring to.

Several of Tom's long time customers and friends used it but it was never really marketed and kind of just disappeared over the course of time. Not sure why. By that time, I don't think Tom was interested in supporting a program - he just wanted to handicap and bet.

I doubt there's a person alive who even has a copy of it anymore, not even Tom. I don't know whether Dick Schmidt was involved with that project or not - if he was, he might have more information

Ron Tiller
HDW

shoelessjoe
03-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply.Yes that's it,Tom wrote how when he moved to Vegas he became really good friends with Cramer.

Partsnut
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi Ron,

Your post brought back fond memories of a good friend and a great guy.

I used to sit with Michael at the Las Vegas Hilton.
He mentioned that he was a that time helping with the animation that was in The Sartin programs.
I was there when he started developing his own software with Bill Burns.

Here's a screenshot of tommorows 1st race at AQU.
I may be the only living person that has the software you are referring to.

shoelessjoe
03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Parts,The one Ron is referring to has the horses positions.Jeff

Partsnut
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Jeff,

Is this what you mean?

shoelessjoe
04-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Parts,No.Like Ron said this program had Jim Cramer positions incorporated in it and used data from HDW.Jeff

RonTiller
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Partsnut,

That looks like Tom's and Michael's Win Formula program. It used (uses?) BRIS data files. Tom used that program for several years, in addition to a really slick modeling program Michael wrote for Tom.

Tom is still in Las Vegas and is still handicapping but I'm pretty sure he doesn't frequent BBS sites like this. Otherwise, he could give the definitive answer.

This sure does bring back many fond memories.

Ron Tiller
HDW