PDA

View Full Version : Unsual info in an old American Racing Manual

Doc
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I whipped out my 1975 edition of The American Racing Manual and found some unusual data ... they used to print every licensed jockey's Social Security number! I was really surprised ... especially since many of these guys are still alive. For instance, Tony Black, who rode last year, is listed. I wonder what the purpose of printing those numbers was. Now with identity theft so rampant the publication of this info today could be a dangerous thing.

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Your post probably doesn't help matters . :D

LIH
03-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow,

Now I have looked thru, and read ALOT of ARM's, and I am going to go and get out my old books, and check that out. I can't believe I have never noticed that before. That is just insane. Ah, I miss the good ol days when your social security number could be printed in a book, and no one would think twice about it.... the world we live in.

Interesting Doc,

LIH

kenwoodallpromos
03-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe they needed the info sent in for IRS purposes.

takeout
03-28-2009, 06:12 AM
I whipped out my 1975 edition of The American Racing Manual and found some unusual data ... Wow. I never realized that either. (I used to get them for some of the trainer and owner stuff.) Just looked at the one for ‘90 and they were still doing it then.

Remember when they used to put everyone’s # on the front of the tax forms when they mailed them out? Doesn’t seem like all that long ago that they stopped doing that. ??

JohnGalt1
03-28-2009, 09:18 AM
In the 70's Indiana used the SS# as your dirver's license number.

I hope they've stopped doing that.

LIH
03-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Come to think of it, when I first got married, our personal checks had SS# AND phone number on it. I remember calling them, upset, saying,,"get me a new order, PRONTO".

Just goes to show how times have changed.

Fingal
03-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Used to get mailings from the Union with the SS number right above the name & address. And the suits at the local couldn't understand why we complained until they found a new way of having an ID number on the mailings.