PDA

View Full Version : UltimateDefrag

DJofSD
03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Any one use UltimateDefrag (http://www.disktrix.com/ultimatedefrag_about_long.htm) ?

I'm interested in any comments -- good, bad or indifferent.

TIA

headhawg
03-27-2009, 01:20 PM
This is my defrag program of choice. It works better on drives that are not multi-partitioned as you have the option to move programs/folders/files to the outer tracks for best performance. But obviously that doesn't work as well with a drive with more than one partition because -- as far as I can tell -- it limits the positioning on the outer tracks to whatever the partition limits it to, not the entire disk itself.

Another nice feature is the ability to move rarely accessed files to the inner tracks thus freeing up the outer tracks for more frequently used files.

I am assuming conventional hard drives are what you have because you should never defrag SSDs.

Now, just to play devil's advocate, Maximum PC did a lab test of a few defragmenter programs a few months ago and found that there was an insignificant increase in performance after defragmenting. Their conclusion was that today's drive mechanisms are so fast that the movement of the read/write heads across the platters does not cause a significant slow down.

I still defragment because psychologically I feel that things are running optimally then. I just don't defragment as often as I used to.