PDA

View Full Version : EARTH HOUR

ArlJim78
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Saturday Night, 8:30 - 9:30 PM,
All around the world you're supposed to turn off your lights during this time to draw attention to global warming and to show support for a treaty to limit greenhouse gases.

My house will be lit up like a Christmas tree, thermostat set to 80, windows open, oven on, whatever I can plug in and turn on.

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
All around the world you're supposed to turn off your lights during this time to draw attention to global warming and to show support for a treaty to limit greenhouse gases.

My house will be lit up like a Christmas tree, thermostat set to 80, windows open, oven on, whatever I can plug in and turn on.
Suppose if nothing else the fuse box will get a test .

Tom
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm running every light and appliance I have, and am even borrowing some!
I'm taking a dozen spray cans outside and emptying them into the atmosphere.

I am using only plastic bag from the grocery store.

I have saved up 100 dead batteries and am throwing all of them into the garbage.

I am not recycling a thing - it all goes to the landfill!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.........YOU CAN'T STOP ME! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

cj's dad
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM

I bet some city Police Dept's love this idea !!

Watch crime spike !!

cj's dad
03-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Suppose if nothing else the fuse box will get a test .

MB - FUSE BOX ??? - you're showing your age !!

PS to Suff:

Notice the difference between you're and your ?

ArlJim78
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
emptying spray cans into the atmosphere.:lol:

I didn't think of that one, thanks for the idea Tom.

keep' em coming.

I look at it as doing my part to stimulate the local power company.

ddog
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Well, no matter, for you do realize that IF(it won't) happen on a massive scale and/or on a small but concentrated scale, you will run the risk of brownouts(yes , in fact brownouts) or worse.

If the nuts that came up with this idea had any idea how the electrical grid operates , they would know this is not smart.

ArlJim78
03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
how many trip and fall accidents will happen with people wandering around in the dark? "Oh sorry about that Grandma, we're observing earth hour".

how many careless kids will accidently set fire to their houses playing with matches and lighting candles?

how many homes will be burglarized by guys just waiting for the lights to go off?

you watch, it will happen somewhere.

rastajenk
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
But not in America. Canada, maybe, or Europe. You know, those enlightened places.

Remember the northeastern brownout a few years ago? No looting in America, just people helping people. Looting in Canada. You can look it up.

Tom
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
But not in America. Canada, maybe, or Europe. You know, those enlightened places.

How can you be enlightened with your lights turned out! :lol:

ddog
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I would love to see some local utility take one of their substations out of action and say , there we are saving the planet, we will only allow this area to have power 6 hours a day.

Maybe fema could declare it a disaster area and bring in the solar panels and windmills via the stimulus and let "the people" get into the "green economy".

Show how it's done!

:lol:

rastajenk
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
In those Orwellian paradises, anything can happen!

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2009, 12:12 PM
:lol: At the end of the hour , power-up , massive surge , grids boil , another blackout . :lol:

Greyfox
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Could be fun watching harness horses race in the dark.
Imagine the results that would be posted.
Oh, I forgot the tote lights would be off too.

ddog
03-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Remember the northeastern brownout a few years ago? No looting in America, just people helping people. Looting in Canada. You can look it up.

crap and all the while the solution to crime in the country is not more police or better judges or better parents , NAW, just shut off the power.

Darn it , why didn't I think of that one????

Quick shoot this off to bama , it may dovetail with the greenies that support him.

:jump:

toetoe
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Mama's got a fuse box;
Daddy never sleeps at night.

Please light off firecrackers, leave all appliances and lights on HIGH ... the works. The thought that Mayor Oscar Notsucha Goodman has signed off on this fraud, in the name of all Las Vegans, is pistifying in the extreme.

Here's the partisan cant from World Wildlife Fraud, Earth Hour and their lemmings:

"We can make a positive impact in the fight against climate change."

"... make a bold statement about climate change."

"... largest climate event in history." :lol: Oh, the hubris. Bigger than Mt. St. Helens ? What the ... ? :confused:

I gotcher bold statement. IT AND YOU FOLKS ARE FRAUDS !!!

A related group, Inhabitat, while not quite so zealous, still came up with this gem in their mission statement:

"... contemporary design merely imitates the classic modernist aesthetic without any of the [I]idealistic social agenda that made modernism such a groundbreaking movement ..."

Lefty
03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
toe, Oscar is a dim, after all.

boxcar
03-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, no matter, for you do realize that IF(it won't) happen on a massive scale and/or on a small but concentrated scale, you will run the risk of brownouts(yes , in fact brownouts) or worse.

If the nuts that came up with this idea had any idea how the electrical grid operates , they would know this is not smart.

No conservative would ever accuse tree-hugging, Mother Earth goddess worshipers as being intelligent. Useful Idiots very likely, but low on smarts.

Boxcar

BlueShoe
03-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Aw phooey,was not aware of this absurdity,and now it is too late,or is it?I know what,I will throw out all those funny,twisted looking light bulbs that they keep giving me;the ones that I refuse to use.In fact,this weekend think that I will go out and buy a few hundred of those old nasty energy burning bulbs,enough to last the rest of my life.

dav4463
03-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I will turn on all lights, air conditioner or heater, raise windows, let the water run, pull my car up and let it idle with the A/C on and the windows down, drink water from plastic non-recyclable bottles, turn on my stove, take a long, long shower,,,,,,,,,,,what else can I do in protest?...like that spray cans into the air suggestion! :ThmbUp:

Earth hour is the stupidest thing I've seen in quite a while. Fluff over substance is big with these people. It's all or nothing.

Why not just educate people on how to conserve energy without telling you how evil you are for using your air conditioner? Conserve when you can, but don't go overboard to the point of major inconvenience. People are stupid.

boxcar
03-28-2009, 10:00 AM
People are stupid.

And the outcome of this last election proves this.

Boxcar

Tom
03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Just got back from a cattle auction.
Bought me a cow, and we are both having CHILI for dinner tonight. :eek:

I hear CNN is covering the hour live.

toetoe
03-28-2009, 11:47 AM
That is one exception --- turn OFF C.N.N. :D .

boxcar
03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
That is one exception --- turn OFF C.N.N. :D .

What!? Tune out the Communist News Network? :eek: And from where are you going to get your daily dose of propaganda, misinformation and disinformation? You, sir, need to "volunteer" for some community service to get your head screwed on straight.

Boxcar

BombsAway Bob
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I bet some city Police Dept's love this idea !!
Watch crime spike !!
Here in the quaint city of Fitchburg,MA., our Mayor & City Council decided to save money we're shutting off two out of every three streetlights... (Except for downtown, which has no stores open after 6pm, anyways.)
After the massive Ice Storm in Dec., when many city residents were without power for a week or more, local Pols figure we won't notice. Should be fun when it warms up at night!

Snag
03-28-2009, 08:41 PM

As I remember the birth rate spiked about 9 mo's after the brownout. I guess that was your "people helping people" thing. You can look it up.

dutchboy
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Good news from Afganistan. 98% of the people complied with no energy used during earth hour.

Bad news from Afganistan. 98% of the people do not have do not have access to electricity 100% of the entire year.

2 Billion people on earth do no have access to any electricty during the year. Too bad the liberal wacko's never check the facts before they dream up stupid ideas like earth hour.

Rookies
03-28-2009, 10:14 PM

I'M CALLING BULLSHIT !

Prove it !

dav4463
03-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Is earth hour over? Can I turn off my air conditioner? It started getting cold with the a/c on and the windows open. I had to turn on my stove and open the oven door! I'm glad earth hour is early. It would be hard to sleep with all my lights on.

highnote
03-29-2009, 02:51 AM
About a year or two when most of the eastern US lost power for several hours, it was actually kind of nice driving around our town at night without seeing any light pollution. For the first time, I got a sense of what it must have been like to live around here 200 or 300 years ago.

It's nice to be able to see the stars at night when standing in the middle of a city.

Ideally, our town would use street lights that reflect less light up into the air. I think they have street lights like that in some European cities.

RichieP
03-29-2009, 04:05 AM
About a year or two when most of the eastern US lost power for several hours, it was actually kind of nice driving around our town at night without seeing any light pollution. For the first time, I got a sense of what it must have been like to live around here 200 or 300 years ago.

It's nice to be able to see the stars at night when standing in the middle of a city.

Yes!
Other thing I noticed right away were seeing a lot of kids and their parents OUTSIDE playing and talking. Sounds weird but I don't see that anymore with the advent of computers and the "net".It was kinda nice and the sense of a real "neighborhood/community" was filling the air.

La Dolce Vita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYUSdX-Rps

hcap
03-29-2009, 05:39 AM
Just got back from a cattle auction.
Bought me a cow, and we are both having CHILI for dinner tonight. :eek:

I hear CNN is covering the hour live.I think most of you anti-Earth Hour high-fivers are having a cow and not chili.

Carry on.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-have-a-cow.htm

"If you don't believe you have the energy to throw a temper tantrum, have a hissy fit or erupt into a conniption fit, you could still have a cow instead. The expression "have a cow" is said to have originated in the 1950s......"

Hissy fit is about right.

boxcar
03-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I think most of you anti-Earth Hour high-fivers are having a cow and not chili.

Carry on.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-have-a-cow.htm

"If you don't believe you have the energy to throw a temper tantrum, have a hissy fit or erupt into a conniption fit, you could still have a cow instead. The expression "have a cow" is said to have originated in the 1950s......"

Hissy fit is about right.

I think we're having a Mocking Party more than anything else, 'cap. over such utter stupidity. After all, no intelligent person participated in this farce or was forced to, so there was no reason to have any fits or cows. Sorry to see that you were such a wallflower and that you have such a tough time recognizing what a moronic idea little ol' "earth day" was. Have you considered cleaning out all the pollutants residing between your ears to help you see things more clearly?

Boxcar

Tom
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
hcap was Homecoming Queen for Earth Hour.

boxcar
03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
hcap was Homecoming Queen for Earth Hour.

Wonder if he hooked up with Barnette Frank the Banking Queen at that little soiree? :D

Boxcar

Tom
03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I remember when it was Earth DAY.

I bought a pair of Earth Shoes and tipped over.

BlueShoe
03-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks to Tom and Box for an early Sunday laugh.Doubt if the Libs will get the sarcasm,the little darlings will still think that if they use one less piece of toilet paper the planet will be saved.On a serious note,while it is certainly wise to practice conservation of resources and practical environmentalism,most of the screwball ideas of the ecofreaks and tree huggers are a waste of time and accomplish nothing.

toetoe
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM
hcap,

Do you wholeheartedly support it, just tolerate it, not care either way ? WHA WHA WHAT ?

dutchboy
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Earth Day is April 22nd, 2009

Earth Hour was an additional event.

To save energy Duke University plans to burn the panties their men's b'ball team was wearing Friday night for heat.

I remember when it was Earth DAY.

I bought a pair of Earth Shoes and tipped over.

Tom
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
See how close I follow this foolishness? :lol:

Tom
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT !

Prove it !

It gets confusing.
You call them looters, down here, they are community organizers.

boxcar
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
What's next? Earth Week? Earth Month? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

dutchboy
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Wag the dog.

dav4463
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Ideally, our town would use street lights that reflect less light up into the air. I think they have street lights like that in some European cities.

I grew up in West Texas out in the country. It is amazing how many stars you can see. The Milky Way is incredible and some city dwellers probably never have seen it! I had a telescope when I was a kid and had a blast with it; looking at the moon, stars, planets, and even peeking into a neighbors house about a half mile away!

Marshall Bennett
03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
I grew up in West Texas out in the country. It is amazing how many stars you can see. The Milky Way is incredible and some city dwellers probably never have seen it! I had a telescope when I was a kid and had a blast with it; looking at the moon, stars, planets, and even peeking into a neighbors house about a half mile away!
Still have my old 4" Edmond refractor I bought about 35 years ago . About once a year I'll pack it up and drive about 7 miles down a farm road nearby and set it up on a moonless night (The moon is cool , but its light wipes out most of the night sky ) . The view is almost breathtaking , even without the telescope . We'll spend perhaps a couple hours indulging ourselves and go home . What is really cool is that for at least 2 hours , you seem to escape everything here on earth , all the bad stuff , the tension , the bullshit , and find what I consider ultimate peace . Btw , try a Winter month , you're looking away from the light of our own galaxy ... really deep space . On a Summer night , look into the plane of the milky way , billions of stars you can see with the naked eye , really cool !

dav4463
03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Still have my old 4" Edmond refractor I bought about 35 years ago . About once a year I'll pack it up and drive about 7 miles down a farm road nearby and set it up on a moonless night (The moon is cool , but its light wipes out most of the night sky ) . The view is almost breathtaking , even without the telescope . We'll spend perhaps a couple hours indulging ourselves and go home . What is really cool is that for at least 2 hours , you seem to escape everything here on earth , all the bad stuff , the tension , the bullshit , and find what I consider ultimate peace . Btw , try a Winter month , you're looking away from the light of our own galaxy ... really deep space . On a Summer night , look into the plane of the milky way , billions of stars you can see with the naked eye , really cool !

I just may take a little road trip late tonight!

Marshall Bennett
03-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I just may take a little road trip late tonight!
Was gonna say " look out for the Mean Green out there " but forgot , spring break is over ... so enjoy !!

Lefty
03-31-2009, 01:01 AM
I heard ALGORE forgot to turn off his lights during Earth hour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
03-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I heard he did turn off the spotlights on the trees lining his driveway.
Which begs the question, why does he have them to begin with?

As Mr. Rogers used to say, "Can you spell FRAUD?"

boxcar
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I heard he did turn off the spotlights on the trees lining his driveway.
Which begs the question, why does he have them to begin with?

As Mr. Rogers used to say, "Can you spell FRAUD?"

So that he could con everyone into believing that he was a responsible greenie by turning them off. :D

Boxcar

BlueShoe
03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
The eco-freaks are still going to get us.Tomorrow all of our computers are supposed to crash,or something like that.A nasty worm called Conflicker C is to be released on April Fools Day.No joke,this worm was featured on 60 minutes Sunday night.Usually fire up the system early in the am to check things and get the early scratches,but just might hold off a few hours Wednesday.Do recall what a bust Y2K was,so perhaps this will turn out to be the same.If anyone knows who the bad guy is there is a quarter of a mil reward for fingering the evil fellow.

Lefty
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I just read about the configer worm. I just had to reformat my harddrive because I picked up a worm. Cost me $177. I hope i don't have to go through that again.

Tom
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
There is a patch at MS for this.

1st time lasix
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM
report four weeks ago in journal science showing more evidence of global cooling.....sure isn't getting as much coverage. Truth----global temperatures have been lower for eight straight years. Oceans have shown the same moderate trend lower. This global warming hoax isn't true just because people repeat it!

Tom
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
The guy is a disgrace and a fraud.

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.861/pub_detail.asp

dav4463
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Was gonna say " look out for the Mean Green out there " but forgot , spring break is over ... so enjoy !!

Have you seen the football team? They aren't so mean anymore!

BlueShoe
03-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Have just the job for Mr. Gore,for which he is highly qualified.The United States should appoint him as our permanent ambassador to Antarctica.His official duties would then consist of watching the icebergs melt and engaging in diplomatic dialogue with the penguins.Would feel a bit sorry for the penguins though;after awhile am sure that they would find his meaningless chatter just as tedious as we do.