PDA

View Full Version : Nicanor to race Saturday

098poi
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Just did a quick search and this popped up. Should be a great day.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2009/03/25/nicanor-entered-march-28.aspx

matthewsiv
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Will be tough to beat.

phatbastard
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
it's surely not the race they intended when mapping his season

Doc
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I really want to like this horse, but all the Pretty Pony People have soured me on him ... I have a lot of admiration for his connections, though.

Bruddah
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I really want to like this horse, but all the Pretty Pony People have soured me on him ... I have a lot of admiration for his connections, though.

BINGO! You said it Bruddah! Thanks for expressing the thoughts on my mind. I doubt I would have said it that well, or as nice. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
McPeek's horse could be tough.

joanied
03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Nicanor is obviously not going to be another Barbaro (his dam just had another full brother born on 3/10)....but, I hope he turns into something special...
Saturday he breaks his maiden:ThmbUp:

miesque
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Thats pretty much my sentiment with the addition of the word nauseating.

rjorio
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I was hoping to see him stretchout on turf.

Robert Fischer
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I was hoping to see him stretchout on turf.

good point. A mile is almost too short for Nicanor, which is why I liked his 7furlong race last time so much.

If you are a Nicanor fan, you should basically want him to repeat his last effort. - Show early speed and settle in. Maybe you see some signs of getting a little stronger. If some one beats him it doesn't really matter, if he ever turns out to be a half-decent horse it will be in the 9 furlong range.

Another extended sprint - and that is what a mile at gulfstream really is (nevermind calling it a route), can serve to sharpen his speed a little if he is progressing.

I would love to see 1 1/8th on the Keeneland poly track or the Grass.

he will be tough to bet saturday. 9/5 morning line and expected to drop.

The McPeek horse (Glittermans Cartel) in here could be anything, I liked how they ran him up near the pace on the turf. He showed tactical speed out of the gate, settled into a nice cruise along a moderate pace, and came home fast to get nosed out. It was a good education. If they thought he was much better on the turf he wouldn't be coming to the dirt now. At 6-1 like his ml, he is the play, however you are probably going to see him around 3-1.

May be more of a race you just watch if you can't confidently toss Nicanor.

joanied
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM

if you really want to like this horse...then ignore the 'Pretty Pony People' ...that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face...why allow others to dictate your likes & dislikes...
I have been enjoying following Nicanor (adore his connections)...does that put me in with the Pretty Pony People?

CincyHorseplayer
03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about following a horse like this.

I'm not an owner,trainer,groom etc,but I can see the fascination with any horse for any reason if you like horses.I do.In fact what disgusts me is the "Horses are a slim piece of paper" mentality.I like this game because we bet on animals and can read their personalities thropugh past performances and in the paddock or post parade.Nothing stimulates me about a turn of the card or roll of the dice but some seem to have that point of view regarding this game.

To each their own.I personally like all aspects of this game.

GlenninOhio
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM

A "pretty pony" post from the Bloodhorse Nicanor blog page.

The good news is maybe this attracts new fans to the game.

Oh, my gosh, good luck sweet Nicanor in this important race of your lifetime.

smooches and hugs sweetie

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2009/03/25/nicanor-entered-march-28.aspx#comments

Doc
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
A "pretty pony" post from the Bloodhorse Nicanor blog page.

The good news is maybe this attracts new fans to the game.

Oh, my gosh, good luck sweet Nicanor in this important race of your lifetime.

smooches and hugs sweetie

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2009/03/25/nicanor-entered-march-28.aspx#comments

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I can't stand this kind of stuff!! :ThmbDown:

joanied
03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
GleninOhio & Doc...

I guess you guys are just hard as nails handicappers....and have no 'soft' spot in your hearts for the horses....which, IMO, is kinda sad...but hey, to each his own, different strokes for different folks...
if folks following Nicanor bothers you...don't pay attention to it:faint:

Good :ThmbUp: luck li' brother...go, Nicanor, go:jump:
:) :) :)

Tee
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Big Top - big price tag, bit of pedigree power. See what he shows on the track Saturday.

Doc
03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
GleninOhio & Doc...

I guess you guys are just hard as nails handicappers....and have no 'soft' spot in your hearts for the horses....which, IMO, is kinda sad...but hey, to each his own, different strokes for different folks...
if folks following Nicanor bothers you...don't pay attention to it:faint:

Good :ThmbUp: luck li' brother...go, Nicanor, go:jump:

Who said I didn't have a soft spot in my heart for horses? I just find "smooches and hugs and kisses" way, way over the top.

onefast99
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Who said I didn't have a soft spot in my heart for horses? I just find "smooches and hugs and kisses" way, way over the top.
Doc, your one funny fellow.

joanied
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM

OK....hey Doc...smoochies, hugs :kiss: and kisses :kiss: to you...nothin' wrong with going overboard sometimes:jump:

Seriously though...that type of thing is probably being posted by young gals in love with horses...ya gotta give 'em a break:)

Have a good one, you old softy;)

Doc
03-27-2009, 06:23 PM
You are probably right about the young girls, Joanied. Your last post made me feel so guilty, I grabbed my Labrador Retriever, told him I loved him, and gave him a big kiss right on the lips (hope he wasn't eating anything funky out in the yard!). He didn't like it much.

joanied
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
You are probably right about the young girls, Joanied. Your last post made me feel so guilty, I grabbed my Labrador Retriever, told him I loved him, and gave him a big kiss right on the lips (hope he wasn't eating anything funky out in the yard!). He didn't like it much.

hey Doc...now I feel bad I made you feel guilty...but, if it made you kiss your Labby...then that's a good thing!! We have a Black Lab and another pooch (mixed breed, a rescue), in fact I've never been without dogs in my life...and I kiss them everyday. I don't kiss my horses...but I used to kiss all my foals, when I had them.
By the way...Labs are always eating something funky:lol:

Have a good one:kiss:

Watcher
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Ran 2nd again... is the Gulfstream feed down for anyone else? I'm going through TwinSpires.

jognlope
03-28-2009, 03:24 PM
miss it, rats, by a minute, out betting on 6th race at big A now.

Quagmire
03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Ran 2nd again... is the Gulfstream feed down for anyone else? I'm going through TwinSpires.

TwinSpires GP feed down for me as well Watcher.

Robert Fischer
03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
He ran 2nd , beaten a short margin by the McPeek horse ...
If you are a fan of Nicanor, it was a positive effort. He honed his speed with another extended sprint. Another good solid race like his 2nd race. However he didn't show any great talent and he was badly over-bet. If he is well placed, he can continue to build momentum.

good point. A mile is almost too short for Nicanor, which is why I liked his 7furlong race last time so much.

If you are a Nicanor fan, you should basically want him to repeat his last effort. - Show early speed and settle in. Maybe you see some signs of getting a little stronger. If some one beats him it doesn't really matter, if he ever turns out to be a half-decent horse it will be in the 9 furlong range.

Another extended sprint - and that is what a mile at gulfstream really is (nevermind calling it a route), can serve to sharpen his speed a little if he is progressing.

I would love to see 1 1/8th on the Keeneland poly track or the Grass.

he will be tough to bet saturday. 9/5 morning line and expected to drop.

The McPeek horse (Glittermans Cartel) in here could be anything, I liked how they ran him up near the pace on the turf. He showed tactical speed out of the gate, settled into a nice cruise along a moderate pace, and came home fast to get nosed out. It was a good education. If they thought he was much better on the turf he wouldn't be coming to the dirt now. At 6-1 like his ml, he is the play, however you are probably going to see him around 3-1.

May be more of a race you just watch if you can't confidently toss Nicanor.

Watcher
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
iMMW-8tYhSw

Living Flame
03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Oooooooooh...Poor wittle Wicanor :kiss: ...Poor widdle ting :kiss: ...Did my bestest boy finish 2nd again? Oh yes he did! Well he whud a much better boy than that nasty ol' nag who beat him! Shame on him!

Our little fella will weally kick their butts next time he races! He gonna be gweat runner! Faster than the wind! Oh yes he will! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Our bestest widdle boy will show them! Even Secretariat lost sometimes!

Awwwwww Waw Waw. He just needs a nice wittle blankie and lots and lots and LOTS of sugar cubes!:kiss: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Robert Fischer
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
*rolls eyes*

joanied
03-28-2009, 04:20 PM
TwinSpires GP feed down for me as well Watcher.

We have Dish Network...all race feeds are working.

Watcher
03-28-2009, 04:23 PM
It's back up now, went down for about 20 minutes or so.

joanied
03-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Oooooooooh...Poor wittle Wicanor :kiss: ...Poor widdle ting :kiss: ...Did my bestest boy finish 2nd again? Oh yes he did! Well he whud a much better boy than that nasty ol' nag who beat him! Shame on him!

Our little fella will weally kick their butts next time he races! He gonna be gweat runner! Faster than the wind! Oh yes he will! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Our bestest widdle boy will show them! Even Secretariat lost sometimes!

Awwwwww Waw Waw. He just needs a nice wittle blankie and lots and lots and LOTS of sugar cubes!:kiss: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:rolleyes: geeze!!

He ran a good race...just got beat by a better horse...he seems to be getting a little stronger and he'll break his maiden next out...I hope.

Living Flame
03-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Uh....It was a joke. You know, ha ha? :confused: :blush: I like Nicanor too. Er...I like all horses. If I didn't, I'd, ya know, get into car racing - like everybody else it seems. :rolleyes:

joanied
03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Uh....It was a joke. You know, ha ha? :confused: :blush: I like Nicanor too. Er...I like all horses. If I didn't, I'd, ya know, get into car racing - like everybody else it seems. :rolleyes:

OH:blush: My bad...we've had some sarcastic posts here lately....guess my radar is set too high:faint: ....good to know you like Nicanor...kinda obvious you like horses...cause you ain't watching NASCAR...barfo:ThmbDown:

So, here ya go: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jognlope
03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
don't understand the love for his brother ..... oh well poor liddle thing doesn't get it.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Uh....It was a joke. You know, ha ha?Don't worry...some of us picked up on your humor the first time around...:ThmbUp:

Doc
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Don't worry...some of us picked up on your humor the first time around...:ThmbUp:

Yes, chuckled all the way through it ... :jump: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

joanied
03-28-2009, 08:32 PM
PA & Doc....I know who you are referring to...I was a little slow on the uptake there....don't rub it in:)

jognlope
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah what happened to my sense of fun?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_44.gif

Tom
03-29-2009, 12:06 PM
:rolleyes: geeze!!

He ran a good race...just got beat by a better horse...he seems to be getting a little stronger and he'll break his maiden next out...I hope.

If not, all is not lost...Finger Lakes opens in two weeks. ;)

Doc
03-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I just couldn't resist ... here's a comment posted today on The Blood-Horse's Nicanor blog. After you read it, you may be looking around for a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, or maybe a shot of scotch:

Nicky you silly little bugger, don't you know you're supposed to be doing your job. We all have jobs to do and you need to get serious about yours. My job is to love you, support you, and want the best for you. Your job is to get out there, trounce those other horses and show them who's the boss!. Have your fun of course, but run like the wind, because we know you can. Having said all this, I want you to know, you looked awesome out there. You're so grand looking and obviously have your familys talent, so love, it's time to do the big deed. Enjoy your trip, new sights and all and then get down to busines. Pay attention to your rider, your trainer and above all follow your heart. You were born to run and run you can. Demand more apples, carrots and mints if you must but get down to business darling, the world is watching and waiting with great anticipation. You're the man Nicky, you're the one! By the way, did I tell you that you make my face hurt from smiling so much?
Dona 29 Mar 2009 2:34 PM

miesque
03-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I just couldn't resist ... here's a comment posted today on The Blood-Horse's Nicanor blog. After you read it, you may be looking around for a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, or maybe a shot of scotch:

Nicky you silly little bugger, don't you know you're supposed to be doing your job. We all have jobs to do and you need to get serious about yours. My job is to love you, support you, and want the best for you. Your job is to get out there, trounce those other horses and show them who's the boss!. Have your fun of course, but run like the wind, because we know you can. Having said all this, I want you to know, you looked awesome out there. You're so grand looking and obviously have your familys talent, so love, it's time to do the big deed. Enjoy your trip, new sights and all and then get down to busines. Pay attention to your rider, your trainer and above all follow your heart. You were born to run and run you can. Demand more apples, carrots and mints if you must but get down to business darling, the world is watching and waiting with great anticipation. You're the man Nicky, you're the one! By the way, did I tell you that you make my face hurt from smiling so much?

:lol: I just really hope the girl that posted that is under the age of 10, but seriously the only real problem I have with that stuff is I have a daily limit of how much I can take and unfortunately I went through a period where I was forced to read way too much of that in a given day and as such I unfortunately have a lower threshold then I once did. The real reason those sorts of comments get to me is that the vast majority do not have what I consider to be real hands on horse experience other then perhaps some riding in summer camp or a trail ride here or there so they make horses in their minds into these cute stuffed animals sorts of fuzzy pets that exists simply to be coddled when in fact horses were technically put on this earth as beasts of burden and for most of history did a tremendous amount of work. They don't see how badly horses can treat each other at times in a herd or how many injuries can occur while out just in the pasture with the herd completely unrelated to racing or whatever sport or riding endeavor they are utilized for. I played polo for 15 years and polo is one equine discipline where you are always dealing with multiple horses at the same time because you need a string of horses to play a game with and as such a you have a lot of horses together be it in a field as a herd, butt to butt on a trailer, tied up in a line at a game, ponying several at once when exercising them and to top it off most of these are high strung Thoroughbred mares. I can tell you that of all the horse injuries I had to deal with over the years, the number that were either self inflicted or inflicted by other horses far outnumbered those that occured while playing polo or even exercising or stick and balling. In addition, lest anyone think I am just a cruel, heartless individual, the big joke among the other polo players I played with was that after they died they wanted to come back in a second life as one of my polo ponies since I treated mine so well with the best food, supplements, treats and treatments (or spoiled rotten however you want to look at it).

joanied
03-29-2009, 04:46 PM
If not, all is not lost...Finger Lakes opens in two weeks. ;)

Ah, come on now, Tom....be nice:)

joanied
03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey Doc... Now, that IS over the top...I think some folks need to get a life:faint:
I hope that stuff like that IS being written by young gals that love horses, regardless of how much they know or don't know about them...they just become love sick over a special horse...but, I gotta agree...this would almost make me barf :eek:
I never read blogs...and I especially don't have the time or patience to read stuff like that...meaningless crap...but, since I do beleive in 'to each his own'...if folks feel the need to express themselves this way...let'em have at it...it ain't hurtin' anyone...
actually, maybe I am guilty, in a small way, of being too sentimental about horses...on my web site (which is coming down in August...no time to mess with it anymore) I have a poem I wrote for Foolish Pleasure...so maybe if you read it, you'd want to barf too...although, it's hardly a 'gooey' poem.

But, yeah...you're right...most of that type blog is just nauseating (spelling?)

Now....just for the hell of it...go kiss:kiss: your Labby again:D

joanied
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
:lol: I just really hope the girl that posted that is under the age of 10, but seriously the only real problem I have with that stuff is I have a daily limit of how much I can take and unfortunately I went through a period where I was forced to read way too much of that in a given day and as such I unfortunately have a lower threshold then I once did. The real reason those sorts of comments get to me is that the vast majority do not have what I consider to be real hands on horse experience other then perhaps some riding in summer camp or a trail ride here or there so they make horses in their minds into these cute stuffed animals sorts of fuzzy pets that exists simply to be coddled when in fact horses were technically put on this earth as beasts of burden and for most of history did a tremendous amount of work. They don't see how badly horses can treat each other at times in a herd or how many injuries can occur while out just in the pasture with the herd completely unrelated to racing or whatever sport or riding endeavor they are utilized for. I played polo for 15 years and polo is one equine discipline where you are always dealing with multiple horses at the same time because you need a string of horses to play a game with and as such a you have a lot of horses together be it in a field as a herd, butt to butt on a trailer, tied up in a line at a game, ponying several at once when exercising them and to top it off most of these are high strung Thoroughbred mares. I can tell you that of all the horse injuries I had to deal with over the years, the number that were either self inflicted or inflicted by other horses far outnumbered those that occured while playing polo or even exercising or stick and balling. In addition, lest anyone think I am just a cruel, heartless individual, the big joke among the other polo players I played with was that after they died they wanted to come back in a second life as one of my polo ponies since I treated mine so well with the best food, supplements, treats and treatments (or spoiled rotten however you want to look at it).

Miesque....
I agree, as I said in my post to Doc...this blog entry is way over the top...and like you, hope a 10 year old wrote it... but, I don't see what it has to do with wether or not folks that post blog entries like this one KNOW anything about horses, except maybe to trail ride or take a few riding lessons...it hasn't anything to do with how they get hurt or behave within a herd, or anything you mentioned...these are just folks (I hope young gals) that love horses and happen to fall for one particular horse to follow...race horse, show horse, don't matter...fact is, if they know nothing about horses, they can still have a passion for them...hell, I was raised on the streets of Brooklyn...didn't have anything to do with horses, but for some reason...I loved them and all I wanted to do was be around them...which didn't happen until I was out of high school...my point being, knowing horses and loving them is two different things. I will totally agree...horses can be a pain in the ass...if there's a way to get hurt, they'll find it;) ....but, again, you can love something without knowing much about it.
Don't you agree on that much?
:)

Doc
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey joanied, you know I grew up as a horse-crazy kid ... was always pissed off at my parents for not buying me a horse, but now as an adult I know that they are expensive! One of the worst days of my life was when my father and grandfather took me to Belmont Park to see The Great Match between Foolish Pleasure and Ruffian - I was so heartbroken when Ruffian broke down that I cried for 2 days - my mother thought there was something mentally wrong with me (well, there is ... LOL!) but I do know what it feels like to get emotionally attached to a horse. Yet I would never write something so off-the-wall as the blog post I put on this thread, and if I did write something like that, I certainly wouldn't want the world to see it. Aside from the Nicanor crazies, another group I have a problem with are the Smarty people ... there are some forums where all they do is follow Smarty's progeny as they fail to win, again and again, and are seemingly obsessed with this pursuit. I liked Smarty as a racehorse, but I find myself hoping he flops as a sire just to spite these looney tunes.

joanied
03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey joanied, you know I grew up as a horse-crazy kid ... was always pissed off at my parents for not buying me a horse, but now as an adult I know that they are expensive! One of the worst days of my life was when my father and grandfather took me to Belmont Park to see The Great Match between Foolish Pleasure and Ruffian - I was so heartbroken when Ruffian broke down that I cried for 2 days - my mother thought there was something mentally wrong with me (well, there is ... LOL!) but I do know what it feels like to get emotionally attached to a horse. Yet I would never write something so off-the-wall as the blog post I put on this thread, and if I did write something like that, I certainly wouldn't want the world to see it. Aside from the Nicanor crazies, another group I have a problem with are the Smarty people ... there are some forums where all they do is follow Smarty's progeny as they fail to win, again and again, and are seemingly obsessed with this pursuit. I liked Smarty as a racehorse, but I find myself hoping he flops as a sire just to spite these looney tunes.

Hey Doc...me too...I asked, pleaded for a horse, but knew it would never happen...I did ride the ponies at a park near where the Verazzono-Narrows Bridge is now:D Maybe one of my best days was when my parents moved to Elmont...and I saw Belmont Park for the first time...I knew then, that I'd be working there one day...see, "there are no foolish dreams":ThmbUp:
Needless to say, I was there the day of the Match Race too...only I was rubbing at Belmont...I can't imagine what it must have been like for a kid to see that breakdown...maybe the good thing about that was it happened on the backstretch, so it wasn't up close.
Like I said, I won't read those blogs...it does make ya cringe...but, I won't root against Smarty babies because there are loonies that follow their every move...if these folks feel the need...let'em have at it...and maybe some of them will make it to the races somewhere...which would be a good thing.