PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like a nice gig...

sq764
04-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Pays to know people:

• The United States awarded California-based Bechtel Corp., one of the world's largest engineering, construction and development companies, a multimillion dollar contract for reconstruction in Iraq, the U.S. Agency for International Development announced Thursday. The contract provides $34.6 million for initial construction and allows for funding of up to $680 million over 18 months. The funding is "subject to congressional authority and availability," according to a USAID statement. Riley P. Bechtel, the company's chairman and CEO, was appointed in February to the President's Export Council -- President Bush's advisory committee on international trade

Lefty
04-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Well, this co. certainly prob. best qualified. They built Hoover Dam here in Nev. Lottsa Americans gonna be employed at good wages.
Guess Bush coulda awarded it to some small co. that didn't like him.
At least he ain't taking money from criminals for pardons, or chasing women around the oval office. Looks like he's getting the job done with the very best people.

sq764
04-18-2003, 02:34 PM
...with a few doobies to mellow him out along the way..

Suff
04-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Bechtel is a "Construction Manager"........The company does'nt even own a shovel. They have hundreds of Subs that perform work for them. They build Power Plants and other huge civil engineering jobs worldwide. This Contract is "Chicken feed" to them. They're Big Jobs....Run in the 10's of Billions range.

The Bechtel Brothers are from California....and Huge Republican Boosters and Supporters. Never the less....They are probably the Most experienced and Talented Construction Managers in the world. I believe they were awarded the contract to put out some of the Oil Rig Fires that Saddam started in 1991. They're probably the right company for the Job in My opinion. And since I've been affilated with Construction and Unions for quite sometime. This time...My opinion might even mean something.:p

BillW
04-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Another point of reference in this discussion: We need to look at the progress in Afghanistan. That reconstruction took a more politically correct path and from what I hear they are going to get started "any day now".

At some point we need to get things done and not screw around. These people need help, not an intro to UN-101.

Bill

ljb
04-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Bill , could you explain in a little more detail what you mean. A more politically correct path.
jut curious,
ljb

BillW
04-18-2003, 10:47 PM
ljb,

Trying to please everyone and losing sight of the need for immediacy.

doophus
04-19-2003, 12:21 AM
This is same company that hired a super-attractive lady who happened to know BC very well. Her hometown is Pine Bluff, Ar. She was sent to Beijing by Bechtel; she didn't want to testify in the BC stuff.

BTW, no contest; she's the best looking BC honey I've seen yet.

Lefty
04-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Sufferin, from all your prev. posts i'd say you were knowledgeable in all forms of construction indeed. In this case, your knowledge takes precedence. Good post.

boxcar
04-20-2003, 05:04 PM
From what I've read and been listening to, the consensus is that Bechtel is basically the only really qualified firm in the U.S. for this reconstruction job -- and that basically there are very few qualified firms in the world to handle a job of this magnitude. However, the megabytes of irony is that one of these companies is based in France! (Unforunately the name of the company escapes me at the moment.) What a riot. Right from the git go, France gets shut out. Gotta love it.

Boxcar

ljb
04-20-2003, 06:08 PM
So who was responsible for this "trying to please everyone and losing sight of the immediacy?
Just curious,
ljb

Tom
04-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ljb
So who was responsible for this "trying to please everyone and losing sight of the immediacy?
Just curious,
ljb

I bet it's "THEM!"

Suff
04-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Sufferin, from all your prev. posts i'd say you were knowledgeable in all forms of construction indeed. In this case, your knowledge takes precedence. Good post.

Lefty...Thanks.

I was Goint to steer clear of this but what the heck. Usually I stick to Horse Racing...But with the War an all...I was posting more than usual in Off Topic. I'll share a few things with you about this Bechtel Contract....

The guy that facilitated this whole thing for Bechtel was George Schultz. The same one that was Secratary of State for Reagan/Bush. He's on the Board at Bechtel. But he was educated in the Northeast with Degrees from Princeton and MIT. He also taught at MIT... and while there became Friendly with Republicans in Massachusets.

The Reconstruction of Iraq is being managed by a very non-descript agency of the Federal Govt called "The United States Agency for International Development". This was the agency that awarded Becthel the contract to Manage the rebuilding of Iraq.

When GWB2 was elected President he appointed The Massachusetts Governer the Ambassador to Canada. His Name was Paul Celucci. While Governer ,, Celluci's chief of Staff and Secratary of Finance and Administration was a guy named Andrew Natsios.

I'll give you one Guess who Heads the "The United States Agency for International Development"

Yup.....Andrew Natsios

http://www.usaid.gov/about/bio_asn.html

This agency has special Privilidges that allow it to not report in great Detail its Budget to congress. It works closely with the National Security agency and the CIA on many International Development projects. It also uses its international Presence to further the USA's interests abroad.

Although the Army Corp of Engineers or even the GSA could have and maybe should have Managed the Rebuilding....GWB2 is using this agency.

Make no mistake about it,,,,plenty of Cronyism going on with teh awarding of this contract to bechtel.

As I said,,,Bechtell is a qualified contractor,,,But Perini or even Modern Continental could handle this Job....But thier Contacts are Democratic.

on another Note....I worked for Modern Continental for Two years. I worked on the Bunker Hill Bridge. The largest cable stayed Bridge in the world. Its an engineering Marvel. It jut opened last week......It will be the Skyline you see whenever you see Boston in the Future.....

Lefty heres a picture....Tell me this Baby aint Pretty,,,,,

http://www.bigdig.com/thtml/f011502/img010.htm

PS....off in the right hand Corner you will see a monument that looks like the Washington Monument in D.C. ....Thats the Bunker Hill Monument. I live just Below that on the left. I live...and grew up,,,Just about a mile,,,Mile and half from this Bridge. Pretty Cool huh!!

Lefty
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Sufferin' yep, i'm plenty impressed. That;s one beautiful bridge. But then again, that's what happens in politics. Republicans as well as Democrats are more apt to take care of their supporters.
But, if Al Gore had won the election your company might've got the contract for rebuilding all the things the terrorists tore up because Al Gore wouldn'tve had the guts to do the job that Geo. W. did.
But, that's one damn fine bridge and I can understand your pride.
Good job.