PDA

View Full Version : PP's for the Florida Derby are out and its a 3 horse race on paper!

onefast99
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Quality Road, Theregoesjojo and Dunkirk are the high Beyer horses in this race. Pletcher added another Dubb horse, Europe(a maiden), who was bought for 2.6m and LaPenta has a horse who just broke his maiden going in this race. I would have to say that after looking at this field West Side Bernie would of been my 3rd choice had he not opted for the Lands End last weekend. Not a very tough field after the first three and anyone looking for a longshot here better have a real good arguement for it!

Relwob Owner
03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Quality Road, Theregoesjojo and Dunkirk are the high Beyer horses in this race. Pletcher added another Dubb horse, Europe(a maiden), who was bought for 2.6m and LaPenta has a horse who just broke his maiden going in this race. I would have to say that after looking at this field West Side Bernie would of been my 3rd choice had he not opted for the Lands End last weekend. Not a very tough field after the first three and anyone looking for a longshot here better have a real good arguement for it!

I gotta say that I like Theregoesjojo....seems like the longer they go, the more he is going to catch up with Quality Road......

W2G
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
This is a compelling and important race with plenty of intrigue, but mostly uninteresting from a wagering perspective.

supercap
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Zito is constantly throwing horses in over their heads, when he wins he is the almighty, but no one ever says boo when he does something stupid like this. His argument will be he needed a 1 1/8 to figure it out. Can you imagine if the average trainer entered this horse , Good lord he would be second guessed here to China. Maybe Zito has no say where they run ,is Lapenta calling the shots with these horses?

point given
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I liked this horse when he broke his maiden and thought he might progress, but he threw in a clunker last out. The visual memory is still there and I hope he can outrun his longer odds in here.

W2G
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Dutrow has stated he will only run DTS if one of the favs drops out. We'll have to see what he really does, but the Wood appears to be more likely.

rjorio
03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Dunkirk and Quality Road have both shown great talent in their limited performances, but Quality Road has yet to go two turns ,and the huge effort Dunkirk exhibited could result in the dreaded bounce. What's wrong with Zito taking a shot?

CincyHorseplayer
03-26-2009, 04:34 PM
All 3 favorites are coming off big efforts.2 huge ones off layoffs.

I think it's funny that the talk is about putting a "Rabbit" in here to help out the closers.Unless a horse is an uncontrollable speed horse or a quitter,which I think QR is neither,a rabbit will actually help a tactical speed horse more and hurt the closers.

I envision a strung out field with QR sitting just off the pace by as many as 2 lengths.The fast pace will leave the closers stranded with too much work to do.I've seen this scenario countless times.And looking at the GP races from yesterday,it was all day speed favoring.

The big question is who will regress,if anybody,and how much.Overall though I think the likely pace scenario helps QR and hurts the closers.

I doubt there will be any likely scenario worth betting on though.Definitely not to win.I think anything less than 4-1 on any of these 3 is an underlay.I might take a shot in the exactas if the combinations on QR-DK or TGJJ pay $25 or more.

Either way I am excited about this race.

sam i am
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
depending on the odds, I might use Toby the Coal man under the 3 logical contenders. a little heaver w/ Q Road and JoJo. I think the top 3 will take all the $.

OTM Al
03-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Given the post draw for this rabbit, he's going to have a rough time getting out front in the first place unless they just gun him like a sprinter and hope he can get over. They really should just scratch him as with such a green horse, this is an accident waiting to happen. At 2.6 million, I really don't think its worth the risk, though I would say the same for a far cheaper animal.

CincyHorseplayer
03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Al I see Casey's On Call from the 3 hole jumping out and grabbing the lead.If Pletcher's rabbit gets up there it'll be a dream trip for any of the horses sitting just off it.

I think the only way QR loses this is he bounces off that big layoff effort and/or he gets too headstrong coming out of the 1st turn thinking that's the only one and burns himself out.

Again any of these under 4-1 are underlays IMO.