PDA

View Full Version : Wood Memorial

W2G
03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
For others like myself who simply can't wait, PPs are now available on NYRA.com for Wood nominations: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-AQU-20090404-481935

Probables are reported to include Al Khali, Just a Coincidence, I Want Revenge, Imperial Council, Mr. Fantasy, and West Side Bernie (will he really go here?). Possibles include Lime Rickey, Danger to Society, and Hello Broadway.

FlyinLate
03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
For others like myself who simply can't wait, PPs are now available on NYRA.com for Wood nominations: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-AQU-20090404-481935

Probables are reported to include Al Khali, Just a Coincidence, I Want Revenge, Imperial Council, Mr. Fantasy, and West Side Bernie (will he really go here?). Possibles include Lime Rickey, Danger to Society, and Hello Broadway.

Any chance you know the probables for the Illinois Derby?

W2G
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Any chance you know the probables for the Illinois Derby?

No, sorry. The biggest names pointing to that race are Papa Clem and Musket Man, as far as I know.

FlyinLate
03-24-2009, 12:38 PM
No, sorry. The biggest names pointing to that race are Papa Clem and Musket Man, as far as I know.

I believe Papa Clem is now being geared for the Arkansas Derby due his travel complications from Cali to LA. They don't believe its worth shipping him that far again as they believe it affected him too much.

joanied
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I took a look at the probables...I'm going to wait for the exact feild before I make my picks...some of the probables...well...probably shouldn't be in the Wood and hope they opt out.
But with the 'big names' that are in...it's going to be one hell of a great race:jump:

draynay
03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I took a look at the probables...I'm going to wait for the exact feild before I make my picks...some of the probables...well...probably shouldn't be in the Wood and hope they opt out.
But with the 'big names' that are in...it's going to be one hell of a great race:jump:

Imperial Council is the horse to beat in this race. His last was a mere workout. He will look like a different horse next Saturday. ;)

hencicleva
03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Not entirely related question, but does anyone know how crowded Aqueduct gets for this race. I'm thinking of travelling up from Virginia with my nine yr old daughter (racing fanatic) to go see it.

miesque
03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Not entirely related question, but does anyone know how crowded Aqueduct gets for this race. I'm thinking of travelling up from Virginia with my nine yr old daughter (racing fanatic) to go see it.

I attended Wood last year and the dining room was pretty full and I think it may have even been completely booked. Incidentially I was also traveling up from VA as well.

Stevie Belmont
03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Anywhere between 10 and 15 thousand would be a good number these days.

DRIVEWAY
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
It will be interesting to see West Side Bernie in the Wood. The Lane's End was nothing more than a experimental prep. They moved him early to deal with track bias. That backfired and he got caught in a fog of kickback.

However, as a conditioning race, it should set him up for an improved performance in the Wood. A return to his normal style and the dirt surface should allow him to show what his true potential is.

An in the money finish secures him a reasonable post position draw in the Derby.
A poor performance makes the conections return to the drawing board.

Looking forward to watching the Wood this year.

Bruddah
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
It will be interesting to see West Side Bernie in the Wood. The Lane's End was nothing more than a experimental prep. They moved him early to deal with track bias. That backfired and he got caught in a fog of kickback.

However, as a conditioning race, it should set him up for an improved performance in the Wood. A return to his normal style and the dirt surface should allow him to show what his true potential is.

An in the money finish secures him a reasonable post position draw in the Derby.

Driveway, you may be correct but I think his entry to the Lanes End was more for need of Graded Stakes earnings than a late season experimentation on Poly Crap. (JMHO) His Northern Dancer pedigree is another concern for me. again (JMHO)

Good luck :ThmbUp:
Bruddah

joanied
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Imperial Council is the horse to beat in this race. His last was a mere workout. He will look like a different horse next Saturday. ;)

Never over look a Shug horse at Belmont. IC is one of the horses to beat...and no doubt he'll put in a huge run in deep stretch. He very well may win this one....but, IMO...we have a wide open race concerning the top 6 or 7 horses in the field. Dunkirk may have a rabbit...and that may help him (I don't like it when a trainer throws in a rabbit...all's fair, but it bothers me)...any of the 'big boys' can win this, and I haven't decided on my pikcs yet...I'll sure be looking to see how Pioneerof the Nile does on dirt, and if I Want Revenge is the real deal...but, I do let my heart get in the way (sorry,draynay)...and I'd love to see Freisan Fire win...might be a tough one for him, I know.
The rest of the field...also rans...although I see D Wayne has one in there...hmmmmm...ya never know with Lukas.
:)

LIH
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Hencicleva,

THere are plenty of seats to be had, unfortunetly, as the track never fills to capacity these days. Alot of the grandstand seating on the third floor is sadly in disrepair. It's still cold Wood Memorial time as the wind whips off of Jamaica Bay with intensity. First floor you want to stay away from generally with your nine year old daughter, even in the clubhouse, as there are, how shall we say, colorful characters there. I say this with the utmost love for them, as on any given day, you could find me there!

The dining room the previous person mentioned is called Equestrus. It is a great way to take a day of racing in at Aqueduct. I would call now and ask about a reservation. Go to the NYRA.com website, and click the link that says dining on the left, and it will give you all the different dining options. There is the telaphone number there as well. I know they take reservations on big race days. When it first opened, I despised it, but over the years, have learned to apprieciate it's value, and again, the scene in there is great. Simulcasting from tracks all over the country will fully entertain your daughter, as will the sporting events with whatever is playing at the time can also be found. Food is ok, and you can easily be down to the rail by the paddock to watch the horses come in and get saddled, and have riders up. There are some second level food court type counters, with tables close by if you want to stay more low key. There will certainly be a bench to stake out in the clubhouse building if you are early enough to claim your space. I wandered around there for years, loving every inch of doing so. I hope you and your daughter make the trip, I am sure she will love it.

LIH

cj's dad
03-25-2009, 03:18 PM

How? What am I missing here?

W2G
03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Latest update has Al Khali going to ILL and Lime Rickey/Danger to Society very probable.

Projected field: Just a Coincidence, I Want Revenge, Imperial Council, Mr. Fantasy, West Side Bernie, Atomic Rain, Lime Rickey, Danger to Society.

hencicleva
03-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the advice on attending, I very much appreciate the warnings. I took my daughter to the Haskell last year at Monmouth to see her beloved Big Brown and it was hard to drag her away after the whole 14 race card. We are regular(ish) visitors to Charles Town where the likes of I Want Revenge are not to be found and it was a choice of Aqueduct or Keeneland over Spring Break. Aqueduct wins by logistics only!

I have generally found people very welcoming of children and only had to witness ugly drunken behavior once (at Monmouth). My daughter looks the part as she glues herself to the paddock rail and peers from horse to Racing Form and back to horse, though her fondness for picking Chestnuts suggests a flawed handicapping system.

DRIVEWAY
03-26-2009, 08:17 AM
How? What am I missing here?

West Side Bernie currently sits in tenth place on the Derby graded earnings list. An ITM finish in the Wood should maintain or improve that position.

Derby post positions are selected by each horses connections by Graded earnings.

cj's dad
03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
West Side Bernie currently sits in tenth place on the Derby graded earnings list. An ITM finish in the Wood should maintain or improve that position.

Derby post positions are selected by each horses connections by Graded earnings.

Thanks, I thought the draw was random. Never really paid much attention to the draw although I do remember it was a big deal on ESPN(?) !

supercap
03-26-2009, 08:58 AM

What are you talking about? Bias , the winner came from dead last, experiment on the poly? he won a stakes over that track as a two year old! You have any more excuses you can offer up for Bernie??? Maybe Breen gave too many interviews before the race! That is more realistic. :rolleyes:

rastajenk
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
This doesn't sound quite right, or at least it's misleading. Graded earnings gets you a spot in the field, but it doesn't affect the post position, does it? The order of selection is by a random pill draw. How else would Florida Derby winner Big Brown get the nineteenth pick last year and have to choose between way inside or way outside?

supercap
03-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Never over look a Shug horse at Belmont. IC is one of the horses to beat...and no doubt he'll put in a huge run in deep stretch. He very well may win this one....but, IMO...we have a wide open race concerning the top 6 or 7 horses in the field. Dunkirk may have a rabbit...and that may help him (I don't like it when a trainer throws in a rabbit...all's fair, but it bothers me)...any of the 'big boys' can win this, and I haven't decided on my pikcs yet...I'll sure be looking to see how Pioneerof the Nile does on dirt, and if I Want Revenge is the real deal...but, I do let my heart get in the way (sorry,draynay)...and I'd love to see Freisan Fire win...might be a tough one for him, I know.
The rest of the field...also rans...although I see D Wayne has one in there...hmmmmm...ya never know with Lukas.
Aqueduct!

supercap
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Earnings have no bearing on post position ! Gets you in the feild thats it!

cj's dad
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks, I thought the draw was random !!

cj's dad
03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Thank you for the advice on attending, I very much appreciate the warnings. I took my daughter to the Haskell last year at Monmouth to see her beloved Big Brown and it was hard to drag her away after the whole 14 race card. We are regular(ish) visitors to Charles Town where the likes of I Want Revenge are not to be found and it was a choice of Aqueduct or Keeneland over Spring Break. Aqueduct wins by logistics only!

I have generally found people very welcoming of children and only had to witness ugly drunken behavior once (at Monmouth). My daughter looks the part as she glues herself to the paddock rail and peers from horse to Racing Form and back to horse, though her fondness for picking Chestnuts suggests a flawed handicapping system.

As a female, she will eventually move on to the grays.

sandpit
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM

That's right, but this year it's only the top 19 earners that are guaranteed a spot in the field, since the winner of the Ky. Derby Challenge, Mafaaz, at Kempton in England, is automatically guaranteed a spot with his victory. That is if his connections bring him.

The draw has been on ESPN for the past several years, but they dropped it like their Oaks coverage. So, Churchill Downs has changed the schedule for the Derby Draw, which is an annoying two-part process.

First, Wed. morning prior to the Derby, they are going to draw the horses names' out with a corresponding number. Those numbers determine the order in which the entrants will select their post position. So, if Pioneerof the Nile draws the "1", his people will get to choose any post he wants. And if he draws the "20", he'll get the last selection, which will probably stick him on the far outside.
Second, CD is going to have a separate selection ceremony, event, or whatever they are calling it, somewhere at the track. It's more of a media thing where the connections select their post positions in the order of the numbers they received at the morning draw. I've heard this is going to be on HRTV, but wherever it is, it's pretty dull TV.

MickJ26
03-26-2009, 12:27 PM

The Big A. is your typical inner-city, crumbling infrastructure racetrack. However, don't be deceived by it's perceived lack of charm. Get a good spot by the rail and walking ring and you'll have a great day. Hope it's sunny, fast and firm.

W2G
03-27-2009, 07:42 AM
It is being reported that Mr. Fantasy is now off the Derby trail. Obviously his defection impacts the pace scenario.

Projected field: Just a Coincidence, I Want Revenge, Imperial Council, West Side Bernie, Atomic Rain, Lime Rickey, Danger to Society.

onefast99
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM

I didnt know the racing secretary is able to get you a good draw in the derby, Bernie had already won at Turfway he isnt going to get any better, he blew his load and now its time to put him in the 75k stakes races that Monmouth park writes. It gives the fish bowl crew a chance to cheer at their hometown track, but then again every article Breen appears in these folks seem to be from NYC now. Kelly can whoop up on everyone in the 2yo races, the next level is where he is unproven.

onefast99
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
It is being reported that Mr. Fantasy is now off the Derby trail. Obviously his defection impacts the pace scenario.

Projected field: Just a Coincidence, I Want Revenge, Imperial Council, West Side Bernie, Atomic Rain, Lime Rickey, Danger to Society.
Atomic rain and West Side Bernie? The next time these two run its in a 75k stakes at Monmouth Park. The Wood is next for Bernie...I cant wait.

onefast99
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Monmouth park is a zoo on Haskell day. I have never seen a fight there in the past 7 years we have gone. The track is kid friendly and has a small arcade on the grandstand level 1st floor. They also have pony rides and kids activities throughout the meet.

Dahoss9698
03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
What are you talking about? Bias , the winner came from dead last, experiment on the poly? he won a stakes over that track as a two year old! You have any more excuses you can offer up for Bernie??? Maybe Breen gave too many interviews before the race! That is more realistic. :rolleyes:

So you think the Turfway track plays the same all of the time? If so I'm selling a bridge, you interested?

hencicleva
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
"I have never seen a fight there in the past 7 years we have gone."

T avoid any misrepresentation ..the "drunken behaviour" wasn't on Haskell day and wasn't anything close to a fight it was just boorish celebrating between friends.

onefast99
03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
"I have never seen a fight there in the past 7 years we have gone."

T avoid any misrepresentation ..the "drunken behaviour" wasn't on Haskell day and wasn't anything close to a fight it was just boorish celebrating between friends.
One of the loudest crowds for any race I have ever seen at MP in the past 7 years or more. Very well behaved race fans and a great day of racing to boot!

hencicleva
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
"One of the loudest crowds for any race I have ever seen at MP in the past 7 years or more."

If you mean last year's Haskell I totally agree, I couldn't believe the crowd roar as Big Brown slowly ran down Coal Play. It's put the Haskell as an annual trip for me and my daughter...probably both daughters this year.

point given
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
judging by the listed possible entrants, it would seem to be a pretty paceless race, no mousses in here. Who's the speed in there ?

W2G
03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
judging by the listed possible entrants, it would seem to be a pretty paceless race, no mousses in here. Who's the speed in there ?

Yep, Mr. Fantasy's defection leaves the pacesetter role up for grabs. I suppose that honor goes to Zito's horse by default, unless Pletcher sends Lord Justice here instead of Illinois, and it sounds like he just might. Even Talamo on IWR is a candidate to lead them around. Tough call.

BeatTheChalk
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

The all too obvious Hunch Bets : Hello Broadway, West Side Bernie and
I want Revenge ( for da lowahhh East Side , and Five Points :D :eek:

joanied
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Aqueduct!

OR Aqueduct :bang:

W2G
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Here's the field. Pletcher's Lord Justice should make the pace from the 2 hole. I wonder if IWR will be even money or less.

$750,000 Wood Memorial (gr. I, Race 9, 5:19 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/8 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey
All Starters will carry 123 pounds
1. I Want Revenge (KY), Joe Talamo
2. Lord Justice (KY), C.C. Lopez
3. Cellar Dweller (KY), Rosie Napravnik
4. a-Atomic Rain (KY), Joe Bravo
5. a- West Side Bernie (KY), Stewart Elliott
6. Imperial Council (KY), Edgar Prado
7. Just a Coincidence (KY), John Velazquez
8. Lime Rickey (KY), Javier Castellano

a- George and Lori Hall coupled entry

onefast99
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Here's the field. Pletcher's Lord Justice should make the pace from the 2 hole. I wonder if IWR will be even money or less.

$750,000 Wood Memorial (gr. I, Race 9, 5:19 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/8 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey

Good for the Halls having a nice entry of these two runners, by the time the Derby comes around West Side Bernie will be totally spent. Atomic rain doesnt belong in this group, but as we have seen before with this trainer/owner combo the media hype means more to them then the race.

Dahoss9698
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Good for the Halls having a nice entry of these two runners, by the time the Derby comes around West Side Bernie will be totally spent. Atomic rain doesnt belong in this group, but as we have seen before with this trainer/owner combo the media hype means more to them then the race.

Why do you think he'll be spent? He's made 2 starts this year and really only 1 because he didn't do a whole lot of running last time. The Derby is 4 weeks out from the Wood.

joanied
04-01-2009, 06:46 PM

PP. Horse, Jockey

Thanks for posting the field....sure has shortened up from the pre entires list...wonder why Dutrow isn't going with Danger to Society?
I may change my mind....but I see Lord Justice taking the lead, and I can see Talamo going after him...for better or worse...I think Bernie will run well...and with Johnny V...Just a Coincidence should put in a good run...but Imperial Council takes it:ThmbUp:
1-Imperial Council
2-I Want Revenge
3-Just a Coincidenc
4-West Side Bernie

I can't wait:jump:

Bruddah
04-02-2009, 07:46 AM

PP. Horse, Jockey

I won't even pretend to have a handle on this race. But, when I look at Atomic Rain pp's and his breeding, I see a horse that has a legitimate shot. Also one that may be developing at the right time. What is it that you guy's don't like? Just curious.

onefast99
04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
I won't even pretend to have a handle on this race. But, when I look at Atomic Rain pp's and his breeding, I see a horse that has a legitimate shot. Also one that may be developing at the right time. What is it that you guy's don't like? Just curious.
I just dont think he will run vs this group. breen's shot is with WS Bernie, and since he has seconditis in big races thats where he will be on my radar, second at best. I want revenge will take this one, I see Atomic rain finishing well back, thats if he even goes to post!

onefast99
04-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Why do you think he'll be spent? He's made 2 starts this year and really only 1 because he didn't do a whole lot of running last time. The Derby is 4 weeks out from the Wood.
Last race he did have to travel and that takes a little starch out of a young horse. He was ridden hard by Prado who wasnt making up any ground. He isnt a contender if you take out the Delta Jackpot, which seems to be a race that no derby contenders come out of recently. Just my .02

W2G
04-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Any local info on conditions? Muddy track yesterday, rain and wind today? This adds a new, significant variable to the mix. Not sure how the footing/wind figures to impact the top two here.