PDA

View Full Version : Board votes to eliminate Monday racing

Southieboy
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
DEL MAR — The board of directors of the 22nd District Agricultural Association voted at its March 10 meeting to eliminate horse racing on Mondays during the summer at the fairgrounds. Acting on a recommendation from the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, which conducts the horse racing season, the board voted to do away with Monday racing except on Labor Day during the season scheduled to run July 22 through Sept. 9.

The California Horse Racing Board must approve Del Mar’s new schedule. Approval is expected.

Craig Fravel, the Thoroughbred Club’s executive vice president, said a five-day weekly schedule is a cost-saving measure. Traditionally, the track has been dark only on Tuesdays. With fewer racing days, every race will be more competitive because there will be at least eight horses entered in every event, Fravel said.
http://www.thecoastnews.com/printer_friendly/2107286

BombsAway Bob
03-24-2009, 12:24 PM
it's nice that they can guarantee at Least 8 horses in Every race by going to a 5-day raceweek...
Don't they run 5-day raceweeks @ Hollywood & Santa Anita?
Where are ALL the 8-horse fields there?

cj's dad
03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Notice the key word is entered; how many actually go to post is another story.

Bruddah
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Notice the key word is entered; how many actually go to post is another story.

Good question. I have noticed how many scratches per race they seem to have on the West coast. Just assumed it was Union problems or smog related.

But seriously, why so many scratches in Disney Land?

sonnyp
03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
because the stewards allow it ! i've trained standardbreds and runners. if you enter a standardbred and he gets in, you run regardless of post position, weather, tough competition in the race or you better have a legit excuse.

in the runners, trainers enter, look at the race, and if they dont like what they see....scratch. very,very little pressure from stewards to stay in.

cj's dad
03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Good question. I have noticed how many scratches per race they seem to have on the West coast. Just assumed it was Union problems or smog related.

But seriously, why so many scratches in Disney Land?

Can't answer for Ca. J, but (off topic) having spent 2 very nice evenings at C'town recently, THAT PLACE is the scratch capitol of t'bred racing; and I ain't talking 'bout fleas.

GaryG
03-24-2009, 02:43 PM
I believe SoCal still has a low claiming price of $10K for winners and $32K for maidens. Maybe with so many cheap horses making up full fields at places like Tampa they might want to reconsider.

thespaah
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
it's nice that they can guarantee at Least 8 horses in Every race by going to a 5-day raceweek...
Don't they run 5-day raceweeks @ Hollywood & Santa Anita?
Where are ALL the 8-horse fields there?
Yeah.. what is it about California racing. I look in and see small fields all the time. It's not a lot of fun loooking for value on a race with 5 or 6 betting interests.
Can anyone address this issue? Such small fields?