PDA

View Full Version : WIPING VISTA CLEAN RE-INSTALLING IT OR XP

pktruckdriver
03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I will do a wipe and clean and re-install Vista, or maybe XP with SP3, not sure yet, but will be at the place where I bought this thing.

Wipe clean and reinstall Vista about 125.00, is that reasonable??

wipe and install XP about 200.00 or so

wipe ,save, and restore, and then reinstall more, what's this about

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

Leaning towards Wipe the drive clean, Re-install Vista, it (vista) is getting better, isn't it.

Plus I Had the bug "Anti-Virus360" pop up on my computer, but this was after the preference thing was going on, and I have had the HD scanned and debugged since then for another 75.00 , was that the right thing to do???

I have an E drive, external 500gb that I have put a backup on , and tested it to see if the program runs from there and it did, just fine, worked fine that is.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

I can not run
autohdw
ATRpro
parts of HSH
And it seems that I do Have issues with this thing, it frezzing sometime for no reason, my Verizon online service thing freezes up and I have to turn it off and on a few time ti get it working right again

PLUS I HAD "ANTIVIRUS360" ON MY COMPUTER, IT IS A NASTY BUG , AND KEEPS POPPING UP ONCE IN AWHILE WHEN IT DOES I IMMEDIATELY TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND THEN SCAN EVERY SCAN I GOT , WHO KNOWS IF IT IS GONE OR NOT, I DON'T KNOW, ONLY HOPE SO...

WHAT WOULD Y'ALL DO, OTHER THAN BUY A NEW COMPUTER?????

PATRICK

slewis
03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
I will do a wipe and clean and re-install Vista, or maybe XP with SP3, not sure yet, but will be at the place where I bought this thing.

Wipe clean and reinstall Vista about 125.00, is that reasonable??

wipe and install XP about 200.00 or so

wipe ,save, and restore, and then reinstall more, what's this about

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

Leaning towards Wipe the drive clean, Re-install Vista, it (vista) is getting better, isn't it.

Plus I Had the bug "Anti-Virus360" pop up on my computer, but this was after the preference thing was going on, and I have had the HD scanned and debugged since then for another 75.00 , was that the right thing to do???

I have an E drive, external 500gb that I have put a backup on , and tested it to see if the program runs from there and it did, just fine, worked fine that is.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

WHAT WOULD Y'ALL DO, OTHER THAN BUY A NEW COMPUTER?????

PATRICK

Patrick,

Hang on dont pay that money yet.

I recently took Vista off a computer and re-installed XP because Vista (aside from being crap) wont run some older programs.
I dont know how Bill Gates gets away with this sh*t.... Vista sucks.
(Actually I do know, the same way the Wall st. guys still have jobs, they grease every politico).

Start posting on this thread EVERY issue you have here and what type of computer, etc.
Do you have a copy of XP?? Do you have a bootable start up disk??

Was your Vista and upgrade from XP or clean install/original install.

Many on this forum will help you and you might not have to spend this $$$$.

bobbyb
03-23-2009, 06:04 PM
You mentioned in a previous post, that you had opened "Preferences" and now you cannot - is that correct?

Did you perhaps minimize the screen to the point where its below your task bar? (actually I'm not sure but I think the upper border of the open window would align with the bottom portion of the task bar - and it would make it really difficult to see it)
Have you checked this for a possible cause? If not, I think you should.
Let us know,

bobby

pktruckdriver
03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Okay guys

As we all know I use HSH as My program and I like too, it is not easy to learn, and I have much to learn , but after a year I am making great plays, but this is not HSH, it is about my computer not working right.

To download data from HDW for HSH, there is a program called AutoHdw, everyone else can get it to work I can not, almost did, was really close, but then I tried to delete it, but it will not go away, as it is still the programs part of the control paNEL , BUT IS A GHOST, it will not acknowldege it is there , strange thing this is.

Also we use ATR Pro as a tote system, this too I can not get to work, either, and the program people have tried to help me, but to no avail, it still will not work.

I get online with Verizon Wireless aircard, good all over the country trust me on that part, but after an hour or so it has a tendencies to freeze up, why??

The whole computer freezes up, where some times Con/alt/del works , but not always, sometimes it must be manually truned off, not good, right?

it seems that everyday I use The task manager to close programs, why????

Putting a New Vista OS on here may work I thought, as maybe mine is screwed up, and yes the new better be a new one and not the old corrupt one, i hope.

What more can I state here, as I plan to go to Muncie , Indiana area as place
that got this computer, and hopefully jobs are there, or at least one job for me, but that has nothing to do woith my computer problem

patrick

JustRalph
03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
vista runs great for me.

reload vista

don't put anything else on...........except HSH

see how it runs. then after that you can load apps one at a time

never put more than one on until you see how it affects the machine.

I suspect that some application you are loading needs to be upgraded etc.

go slow

JustRalph
03-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Patrick,

Hang on dont pay that money yet.

I recently took Vista off a computer and re-installed XP because Vista (aside from being crap) wont run some older programs.
I dont know how Bill Gates gets away with this sh*t.... Vista sucks.
(Actually I do know, the same way the Wall st. guys still have jobs, they grease every politico).

Why do I picture an old guy standing in his front door screaming

You kids get out of my yard!!! :lol: :lol:

dutchboy
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Have you ever gone in to the systems tools and ran the disk cleanup and the defrag programs?

Manually turning off your pc is not the best idea if it can be avoided since it leaves a lot of files fragmented. My suggestion would be to run the disk cleanup and defrag programs to get rid of the junk.

Are you only having problems with the ATR and HS programs? If every other program works maybe you just need to delete those two programs and reinstall them.

pktruckdriver
03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
JR

I have HSH backed up on an E drive, an external, it runs fine on there, well except for the preference thing and everything else going on, but it does work for the most part.

Betting anaylsis is another program I have , but the input of data has kept me from using it to the programs to its best pontetial, i have a hard time finding time to input stuff into it.

I am going back to the people who sold me the laptop, they were great, and are willing to do what needs to be done, but exactly what that is???????????????????????????????????

thx

Patrick

dutchboy
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Did your computer have Vista installed when you purchased it?

Did it the computer work when you first bought it?

Is it still under warranty? Computer mfg's can often remotely access a computer and determine what is wrong. Free if still under warranty and a few bucks if not.

Okay guys

As we all know I use HSH as My program and I like too, it is not easy to learn, and I have much to learn , but after a year I am making great plays, but this is not HSH, it is about my computer not working right.

To download data from HDW for HSH, there is a program called AutoHdw, everyone else can get it to work I can not, almost did, was really close, but then I tried to delete it, but it will not go away, as it is still the programs part of the control paNEL , BUT IS A GHOST, it will not acknowldege it is there , strange thing this is.

Also we use ATR Pro as a tote system, this too I can not get to work, either, and the program people have tried to help me, but to no avail, it still will not work.

I get online with Verizon Wireless aircard, good all over the country trust me on that part, but after an hour or so it has a tendencies to freeze up, why??

The whole computer freezes up, where some times Con/alt/del works , but not always, sometimes it must be manually truned off, not good, right?

it seems that everyday I use The task manager to close programs, why????

Putting a New Vista OS on here may work I thought, as maybe mine is screwed up, and yes the new better be a new one and not the old corrupt one, i hope.

What more can I state here, as I plan to go to Muncie , Indiana area as place
that got this computer, and hopefully jobs are there, or at least one job for me, but that has nothing to do woith my computer problem

patrick

pktruckdriver
03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Did your computer have Vista installed when you purchased it?

Did it the computer work when you first bought it?

Is it still under warranty? Computer mfg's can often remotely access a computer and determine what is wrong. Free if still under warranty and a few bucks if not.

YES

KINDA

NOT REALLY, UNDER WARRANTY

PLACE I BOUGHT IT WILL LOOK AT IT

facorsig
03-24-2009, 01:15 AM
For the prices being quoted, you can buy a nice used machine on E-Bay.

You have nothing to lose by going to PC World and other websites and downloading freeware to clean your registry and other software to fix the root cause of your machine's ailments. As Ralph suggests, there is likely an update required to one (or more) of your applications.

Fred

pktruckdriver
03-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I have all updates from Mr. Gates, so what do I do , as I am in the college town of David Lettermen, Ball State University, Muncie,In.

Maybe a fix might do it, but we need to do this, don't we.

patrick

DJofSD
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Perhaps I missed it -- is the PC an HP?

If it is then you should have a partition on the boot HDD that contains a restorable version of the OS. But beware: you will lose data and programs if you go that route. Back up, back up, back up.

If it is not an HP, do you have the MS CD/DVDs used to install Vista? If so, you can do a non-destructive reinstall. There are plenty of places on the internet with help and instructions how to do it.

pktruckdriver
03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Well Dave fixed my Preference Window problem, it now opens....

Now doing a complete wipe and reinstall of Vista OS, seems to be something I need, why, because many other stupid things are happening, things that I think may be now Vista related, Plenty of freezing of windows , windows freezing up during use, and that require's me to use the task manager to close them, and still sometimes I must manually close them, (shut the computer off) as the computer completely freezes.

Now HSH , known as H6, seems to work, the file opens , and it gives me the info I need to be a winner, and it has better capabilities to do more than that, as long as my computer allows me to use the whole program, and not just parts of it, and it also would not allow me to other software that compliments H6,

Must go, please tell me a wipe clean and re-install, is the way to go, not just a fix exisiting Vista OS, or a restore point, nope this issues was from day one with this thing, I had to change the UA accounts, or shut them down????

thx Dave
Gotta go
Patrick

DJofSD
03-24-2009, 02:14 PM
How much memory does your computer have installed?

pktruckdriver
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
149gb 88.5 gb free

JustRalph
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Dave, I would love to hear how you fixed the problem............

I am emotionally invested now............. :lol:

DJofSD
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
That looks like space for the hard drive. I meant central memory (RAM).

What might have been OK for XP is very likely a real choke point for Vista. And, whatever MS publishes as a minimum is just that -- a minimum. If you can upgrade to 2 GB, that would be my starting point for Vista.

Dave Schwartz
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Ralph,

I went to bed last night with two thoughts on my mind...

1. Patrick is not made of money and was about to drive 350 miles (at 4mpg) to get this fixed.

2. He might drive 350 miles to get his machine re-installed and it might turn out to be something other than what we thought and that might reflect badly upon me. <G>

I woke up this morning with the idea that I might be able to find a work around.

So, here is what we saw on closer inspection...

1. The window opens and the screen turns white where the window goes.
2. The message is showing in the message bar.

This says that the problem is not the ini-file issue. Rather, it says that the system is hanging somehow between window gaining focus and window actually opening.

So, we had a meeting - I gave him a special version of the program with incremental stops - stop #1, stop #2, stop #3, stop #4. When he clicked the button in got to stop #3 but never showed stop #4.

That isolated to the place that was causing the problem.

I uploaded a new version, which tested some variable names.

Basically, the problem was caused because... well, Patrick has a tendancy to delete folders without thinking sometimes. He had installed ATR and HSH linked to it. When he couldn't get it to work properly, he simply deleted the ATR folder and destroyed the path to the file.

I simply created "better" error checking so that the system said, "Oh, that file doesn't exist so we'll just assume ATR is no longer installed."

Problem solved.

BTW, that explains why he cannot uninstall ATR or AutoHDW: The folders had been manually deleted, therefore the uninstall files were missing.

Dave

JustRalph
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
good stuff.........Thanks Dave!

I feel for you............ :ThmbUp:

pktruckdriver
03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
That looks like space for the hard drive. I meant central memory (RAM).

What might have been OK for XP is very likely a real choke point for Vista. And, whatever MS publishes as a minimum is just that -- a minimum. If you can upgrade to 2 GB, that would be my starting point for Vista.

2gb of ram

1.46ghz

Intel pentium dual cpu t2310

Not sure what this is all about, but I am backing up things, and when I backed up the program and over wrote the previous H6 program on my
E drive, I ran the program ( H6 ) from the E drive and it opened the Preference window just fine.

I am wondering if a new OS is really neccessary now or can wait, Microsoft is doing away with Vista and coming out with Windows 7 soon, I was told.

But if I am corrupt, how would I really know, most things work on here, yes it seems to freeeze more than normal, everyday it seems, is that too much?????

Dave did great and got it working again for his program, until I dig deeper into it, I feel the fix is done and done right, and yes it probally was me who screwed things up in the 1st place, knowing I am not a computer guy, I was acting like one and tried to do things I knew I could not and should not do, but seemed pressured into doing them and when I did do it, I screwed them up, not anymore, from now on, let someone else do it, I do not know how, right?

Well maybe a wipe and reinstall can wait, 100.00 and 2 days without my laptop, not sure about that yet, and 50.00 for a rush, otherwise it may take a week or so, good lord, a week without, how could I do it, man???????:eek:

Patrick

dutchboy
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Does-My-Computer-Freeze-For-No-Reason?&id=796690

2gb of ram

1.46ghz

Intel pentium dual cpu t2310

Not sure what this is all about, but I am backing up things, and when I backed up the program and over wrote the previous H6 program on my
E drive, I ran the program ( H6 ) from the E drive and it opened the Preference window just fine.

I am wondering if a new OS is really neccessary now or can wait, Microsoft is doing away with Vista and coming out with Windows 7 soon, I was told.

But if I am corrupt, how would I really know, most things work on here, yes it seems to freeeze more than normal, everyday it seems, is that too much?????

Dave did great and got it working again for his program, until I dig deeper into it, I feel the fix is done and done right, and yes it probally was me who screwed things up in the 1st place, knowing I am not a computer guy, I was acting like one and tried to do things I knew I could not and should not do, but seemed pressured into doing them and when I did do it, I screwed them up, not anymore, from now on, let someone else do it, I do not know how, right?

Well maybe a wipe and reinstall can wait, 100.00 and 2 days without my laptop, not sure about that yet, and 50.00 for a rush, otherwise it may take a week or so, good lord, a week without, how could I do it, man???????:eek:

Patrick

DJofSD
03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Dutchboy, interesting stuff at the links.

Are you using any of the registry products found on the page where there are 5 offerings reviewed?

dutchboy
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I never have tried them. Just read about them. Some experts strongly caution against using registry cleaners unless you are prepared to spend the weekend reinstalling everything if the registry gets goofed up.

DJofSD
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
OK, thanks.

I use CCleaner (used to be called Crap Cleaner).

I downloaded the RegCure (top rated on the page linked to from the link above) and ran the free scan. It identified a bit more than what CCleaner did. I'm not sure if this means it is better.

One thing that does seem to muddy the waters a little bit is every product I've either used or looked at seems to have a different view of what to call the different tests and how the product characterizes things.

And, yes, these tools can be dangerous -- even in the hands of experienced users. And I would include CCleaner in that statement.

Patrick -- it might help you with your problems on the laptop to try cleaning up the registry and some of the other related stuff that gets left on the PC. But, if you do, go slowly. Do only one test at a time. Before you make any permanent changes, do both of these: create a Windows checkpoint and a back up copy of the registry settings the tool is about to alter/delete. And be careful about deleting cookies and the browser cache -- if you have saved or remembered passwords in those cookies, deleting the cookies will cause you to lose those passwords.

dutchboy
03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
From what I have read is that they run the free scan and then want you to pay for the program to clean the problems they claim to have found which may not be valid problems but just made up. Guess anyone could write a review online and make it look good. Tough to know who is actually behind the reviews.

I have never used them.

DJofSD
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh yes, that's how those programs usually work. I'm not about to pay for something that I found on the internet. If I were to read a review at CNET or some other know and trusted source, I might consider it.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

pktruckdriver
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes guys they , rhe Registry Cleaner will scan for free, but to fix the hundreds fo problems they find you have to buy the program, no matter what program you try they all will want payment to fix things, yet each one will find different problem's, funny how that is.

Seems the problems should be at least close to being the same, but they are not, seems scammish to me.

Nice link though

Patrick

michiken
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
download.com has Crap Cleaner (http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-2086_4-10315544.html?tag=mncol) and a bunch of free software.

I don't see why you guys pay. You can firewalls, antivirus, malware and spyware removal, etc. Just do a search.

DJofSD
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Patrick, CCleaner is free. It is found here. (http://www.piriform.com/)