PDA

View Full Version : There is/isn't Global Warming

Pell Mell
03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
According to this article there is no global warming.

http://worldnetdaily.com/

But according to this one we are in a dire emergency.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/23/AR2009032301068.html?hpid=topnews

Lefty
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
there's controversey. Even though Al Gore and h'cap says debate is over it's far from over. The sad thing, in the name of green, the dims will find a million more ways to tax us.

Pell Mell
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
My thought is that it is just a scheme to promote the green taxes and make Gore even fatter, if that's possible.

cmoore
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Global Warming
http://www.amphi.com/district/news/images/6534357DAF1F47408DD949FC5E6FD341.jpg

No Global Warming
http://valancyjane.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/pennies1.jpg

dutchboy
03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
If you had lived in northern Iowa and Minnesota 12,000 years ago there would have been the Des Moines Glacier estimated at 900 feet thick over your head. When it melted it created the rivers and lakes in the area.

I have tried to find a copy of a newspaper from 12,000 years ago to find out if the cave men and the woolly mammoths were concerned about global warming. I doubt if the cave men were concerned about their carbon footprints.

I once read that it is estimated that periods of warm weather last 10-12,000 years followed by 100,000 years of very cold weather. Do they still teach history in the schools?

Lefty
03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
pellmell, not only Gore, but federal and state govt. California is moving towards mandatory control of individuals thermostats. Some states talking about taxing drivers per mile. And of course, Obama with his Cap and trade taxes will cause energy costs go up considerably and those costs will be passed to us all. Yes, change all right and the jokes on all of us.

boxcar
03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
pellmell, not only Gore, but federal and state govt. California is moving towards mandatory control of individuals thermostats. Some states talking about taxing drivers per mile. And of course, Obama with his Cap and trade taxes will cause energy costs go up considerably and those costs will be passed to us all. Yes, change all right and the jokes on all of us.

Funny how this works, isn't it? In order for Mankind to save the planet, governments around the world will need Man's hard earned do-re-mi. Wisdom-filled governments will need our money to save the world. Money solves all problems. Somehow it always comes back to money, doesn't it? . Must be a huge coincidence. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

ezrabrooks
03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Now the U.N. is considering a $5 per barrel world wide tax on oil, to be allocated to green energy. How in the heck they think they will collect it is anybody's guess. This idea is outrageous, but, I guess it would be doable, as this is the same U.N. that ran the oil for food program in Iraq.

Ez

boxcar
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Now the U.N. is considering a $5 per barrel world wide tax on oil, to be allocated to green energy. How in the heck they think they will collect it is anybody's guess. This idea is outrageous, but, I guess it would be doable, as this is the same U.N. that ran the oil for food program in Iraq.

Ez

The Useless Numbskulls should be able to run this scam at least as well as the oil-for-food one, since this latter one was just a practice run for bigger things to come.

Boxcar

Boats
03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Lets all watch pbs tomorrow night(tues). They
have a Nova program on melting glaciers. I live on ocean beach in San Francisco but at 80 years old I'm not worried. So tomorrow, lets discuss 'Extreme Ice' .

Tom
03-24-2009, 07:37 AM
We were once in an ice age - the whole planet was covered with ice.
Then it melted and we came along.

Now the rest is melting and everyone is in a tizzy. Duh.

Who says we are supposed to have ANY ice?
Who says this temperature is where the world should be?

Wackos, that's who.

mostpost
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
On the side of "No Global Warming" you have WorldNetDaily, a right wing fringe net publication which continues to spread the canard that Obama is not a natural born citizen. An assertion that has been disproved to the satisfaction of all but the most naive or deliberately obtuse persons. On that side you also have "Scientists" in the employ of Big Oil. Scientists who must come up with the "Correct" answer if they wish to keep their jobs. Scientists who work at foundations and think tanks funded and controlled by Exxon Mobil and other Oil companies. Companies which have a vested interest in "Global Warming Denial".

On the side of "Their is Global Warming and it is a serious, primarily man made problem," you have independent scientists conducting studies based in the scientific method and reviewed by their peers. You also have the Washington Post and its article in which the EPA itself, based on scientific evidence warns if the dangers of Global Warming. A warning which was suppressed by the Bush administration, in keeping with its anti science agenda.

I know which side I'm on. (Option two for those slow on the uptake)

Tom
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
First of all, THERE is no global warming, not THEIR is no global warming.
Keep that in mind for future reference. :D;)

Secondly, it is hard for ice to melt without GW. Warming, cooing, the planter goes through cycles. Answer my two questions from above.

Dangers from GW....there are more immediate dangers from hurricanes and lightening storms. Are you going to ban them too?

Bush didn't suppress anything...he just didn't swallow that crock. The warnings have been making it out just fine. Where do you get this stuff?

Anti- science agenda? Keep this in mind, he didn't prohibit any stem cell research, in fact, he allowed it. He just refused to use tax payer money to fund it.

Anyone who was so hot to trot to do stem cell research had only to pay for it themselves. Michael J Fox was free to put his money where his shaking.

Your facts are looser than a hooker at a political convention.

mostpost
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
First of all, THERE is no global warming, not THEIR is no global warming.
Keep that in mind for future reference. :D;)

Thank you. I HATE it when people do that:blush:

mostpost
03-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Secondly, it is hard for ice to melt without GW. Warming, cooing, the planter goes through cycles. Answer my two questions from above.

If you hear "cooing" coming from your "planter" you may have a Morning (Mourning?) Dove living in there.;) I am researching your two questions and will be back with my brilliant and unassailable response.

mostpost
03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
We were once in an ice age - the whole planet was covered with ice.
Then it melted and we came along.

Now the rest is melting and everyone is in a tizzy. Duh.

Who says we are supposed to have ANY ice?
Who says this temperature is where the world should be?

Wackos, that's who.

When I read that first statement I said "Got him! The ice during the ice age extended only as far as southern Europe and the central North America. And I was correct on that..as far as the most recent Ice Age is concerned. Turns out there was an Ice Age which covered the globe. So Tom was correct. However it occurred between 850 Million and 630 Million years ago, when no humans were around.

Question one was "Who says we are supposed to have any ice?" The answer is: We have it and the only way to get rid of it is by turning it into water. This would inconvenience a large number of people who live near an ocean. I would say 50 million in this country alone. Although it would be a boon to snorkel manufacturers and scuba gear shops.
Question two; "Who says this temperature is where the world should be?"
I suppose the answer to that would depend on whether you were a human or a dinosaur. Being a human, i think this is the ideal temperature range. But the point is when other climate changes took place they were part of the normal cycle of things. The fact is (Whether you want to admit it or not) The present crisis is caused by our actions and it is up to us.
Stay dry

Tom
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM

If you hear "cooing" coming from your "planter" you may have a Morning (Mourning?) Dove living in there.;) I am researching your two questions and will be back with my brilliant and unassailable response.

Touche!
:D

sandpit
03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
NOVA's "Extreme Ice" show did their usual good job of presenting their story, even if it did have some folks who completely believe that all global warming is man-made. The show was beautifully shot, I never realized how gorgeous ice can be.

If one believes the scientific evidence presented on NOVA, it is impossible to deny that the ice in the Arctic and Antarctica is melting. Personally, it didn't feel like they were overtly trying to say how bad we humans were for warming the earth. I thought they were just try to present what they had found. It was fascinating to learn how the glacial lakes of Greenland disappear through the ice and then caused the glaciers themselves to accelerate towards the ocean. The show did what it wanted, made people think about the future.

Lefty
03-25-2009, 02:10 AM
If that ice is truly melting, we're not going to stop it with Cap and Trade and various other taxes on the american people.

ceejay
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www2.brevard.edu/reynoljh/climatechange/introduction.htm
Interestingly, some people in pretty high places, particularly the Pentagon, NASA, and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, are extremely concerned with the possibility of a dramatic climatic shift in the near future. When I first read these reports, they really scared me. I sat down to figure out how they could possibly be true. To my chagrin, all of the evidence was already in place in my brain but I'd never put it together. The linked presentation, below, attempts to explain, in layman's terms, how we could be plunged into a new cycle of global cooling or possibly even a new ice age within a few decades.