PDA

View Full Version : Tom Friedman: Article on current events....

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Nobody Helms this ship!!!!! We are adrift a very popular Captain who doesn't apparently know how to drive the ship............
Ralph

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/opinion/22friedman.html?_r=1

From the article:
We’re in a once-a-century financial crisis, and yet we’ve actually descended into politics worse than usual. There don’t seem to be any adults at the top — nobody acting larger than the moment, nobody being impelled by anything deeper than the last news cycle. Instead, Congress is slapping together punitive tax laws overnight like some Banana Republic, our president is getting in trouble cracking jokes on Jay Leno comparing his bowling skills to a Special Olympian, and the opposition party is behaving as if its only priority is to deflate President Obama’s popularity.

I saw Eric Cantor, a Republican House leader, on CNBC the other day, and the entire interview consisted of him trying to exploit the A.I.G. situation for partisan gain without one constructive thought. I just kept staring at him and thinking: “Do you not have kids? Do you not have a pension that you’re worried about? Do you live in some gated community where all the banks will be O.K., even if our biggest banks go under? Do you think your party automatically wins if the country loses? What are you thinking?”

If you want to guarantee that America becomes a mediocre nation, then just keep vilifying every public figure struggling to find a way out of this crisis who stumbles once — like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner or A.I.G.’s $1-a-year fill-in C.E.O., Ed Liddy — and you’ll ensure that no capable person enlists in government. You will ensure that every bank that has taken public money will try to get rid of it as fast it can, so as not to come under scrutiny, even though that would weaken their balance sheets and make them less able to lend money. And you will ensure that we’ll never get out of this banking crisis, because the solution depends on getting private money funds to team up with the government to buy up toxic assets — and fund managers are growing terrified of any collaboration with government.

President Obama missed a huge teaching opportunity with A.I.G. Those bonuses were an outrage. The public’s anger was justified. But rather than fanning those flames and letting Congress run riot, the president should have said: “I’ll handle this.”

much more at the link

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 05:14 PM
more in the same vein

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/20/AR2009032002270.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

Our Foundering Father

By Kathleen Parker
Sunday, March 22, 2009; Page A17
What a relief to hear Barack Obama tell a California audience the other day: "I am the president of the United States of America."

Who knew?

Lately, it's been hard to tell whether Obama himself knows that he is the leader of the country formerly known as The Most Powerful Nation on Earth. Obama's self-identification centered around the American International Group's bonus problem, which, Obama reminded us, he did not create, but . . . "the buck stops with me."

That cliche is awfully busy these days.

more at the link

Tom
03-22-2009, 06:08 PM
1/10th of 1 percent

That is the focus of this failed government.

oddsmaven
03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Fiedman's always a good read but when he asserts that the AIG guys would mostly give back their bonuses voluntarily if Obama would have given an inspirational message encouraging them, I have to laugh at that.

Tom
03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
The bonuses are a drop in the bucket and not worth all this attention.
The government (Dodd) screwed up and is not man enough to admit it.

The whole week was wasted chasing 1/10th of 1 percent and ignoring the real problems. This congress is a disgrace - the absolute worst in our history.

skate
03-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Ya sure enough Tom but what do the people do, they vote these people back into office.

And hey, while i'm here, Liddy is "right-on" all fronts.

They ousted H Greenburgger and now we have Liddy, so so so , Who, i say who who hooo did the screw on aig?

Look in the middle:bang: