PDA

View Full Version : NASA

JWBurnie
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Can someone please tell me the importance of NASA? As well, why we continue to waste billions in search &/or discovery of......?

I can think of a few ways to better spend that money right now.

CNN's current Developing Story is "Astronauts unfold new solar array on space station". Am I the only one that could give a flying f*#k about that, or NASA for that matter?

Can we concentrate on this planet for a few years?

ArlJim78
03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
there are plenty of places i would cut before Nasa. i can see many benefits from it. with that said i would emphasize the research part of the program more than the manned missions. Those are very expensive and I think people have to get used to the fact that we're never going to live in orbit, or the moon or on mars.

DJofSD
03-20-2009, 12:16 PM
A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

The benefits and spin offs from the space program over the decades has more than paid for the expenditures.

You don't like the money being spent on space exploration? What are you going to say in tens years when India, China and others are dominating low earth orbits and have established themselves on the moon?

You would rather eliminate NASA. I'd rather eliminate the war on poverty. Let's compare the total expeditures and benefits.

Marshall Bennett
03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Much of the future of the planet rest in knowledge collected by the space program . Advanced technology may well be bred out of discoveries made not here on earth but by space missions . While to many , the small steps we're making may seem wasteful , the pieces when put together are huge . The space program is anything but a waste of money . To scrap it would be to set us on a path to nowhere . Given the current style of govt. spending , the space program , our life-line , cost peanuts

ddog
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
posts 2 3 4 :ThmbUp:

I can think of many areas to cut before this.

In fact we should boost this area, basic research should be at the top even over aircraft carriers now. :eek:

In fact I would give money to things that couldn't pass the current establishment muster.

The only way out and up that I can see is via the unexpected and that is from people and projects that may not have a positive ROI for this year or decade.

I think our history shows that clearly.

NJ Stinks
03-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Can someone please tell me the importance of NASA? As well, why we continue to waste billions in search &/or discovery of......?

I can think of a few ways to better spend that money right now.

CNN's current Developing Story is "Astronauts unfold new solar array on space station". Am I the only one that could give a flying f*#k about that, or NASA for that matter?

Can we concentrate on this planet for a few years?

I agree completely, JWBurnie. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree completely, JWBurnie. :ThmbUp:
Why am I not surprised.

JWBurnie
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Okay, points taken. I see a purpose, I do. However,what is the purpose of this current mission? What is the cost? Could it have been delayed for a year or two?

Is this event really news worthy based on everything else going on in this world?

Marshall Bennett
03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Of course , this is the attitude that would have certainly kept us in covered wagons . In the longer scheme of time and logic , anyone who doesn't beleive that the future is space is living in a covered wagon .

NJ Stinks
03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Why am I not surprised.

One day you and I are going to agree on something, DJ.

We best not hold our breathe while waiting.

JWBurnie
03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

The benefits and spin offs from the space program over the decades has more than paid for the expenditures.

You don't like the money being spent on space exploration? What are you going to say in tens years when India, China and others are dominating low earth orbits and have established themselves on the moon?

You would rather eliminate NASA. I'd rather eliminate the war on poverty. Let's compare the total expeditures and benefits.

I see more value in exploring and preserving this plant.

I never said anything about eliminating NASA. I just think they waste a lot of money.

I wouldn't say or think anything ten years from now when India, China and others are circle jerking on the moon. Good for 'em. To me, exploration and civilization on the moon serves no purpose.

How much was spent by Reagan on Star Wars? Did it go anywhere?

JWBurnie
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Of course , this is the attitude that would have certainly kept us in covered wagons . In the longer scheme of time and logic , anyone who doesn't beleive that the future is space is living in a covered wagon .

No, I think the covered wagon evolved quicker than the space shuttle has.

HUSKER55
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I can think of one thing that would benefit all of us without having to dip the bucket too far into the well.

A communications center that would allow the planet to get rid of telphone poles, cables, lines and not fill up the city dump with left over trash.

Since all nations will want to reap the benefits then I say send them all a bill now.

Then there are the secondary products debate that was mentioned earlier. If we are close to BE then I say go for it. But I don't think anyone or any country, religion, sect or whatever should be allowed to ride for free.

How about scientific experiements that need a perfect vacum to work in. Suppose a cure for cncer could be developed in space for that reason. Put a value on that.

It will be a question of time before someone will want to make a battleship up there. I can't stop that but I am opposed to it. I would like to think that as men we are smarter than that but there are times we must wonder.
JMHO

ArlJim78
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I see more value in exploring and preserving this plant.

I never said anything about eliminating NASA. I just think they waste a lot of money.

I wouldn't say or think anything ten years from now when India, China and others are circle jerking on the moon. Good for 'em. To me, exploration and civilization on the moon serves no purpose.

How much was spent by Reagan on Star Wars? Did it go anywhere?
you might want to read up on topics before taking wild stabs like that.
yes, it did go somewhere, everything from ABM technology that is in use today, to research in high energy physics, super computing and perhaps the fall of the Soviet Union. its research like this that has kept us strong and at the top of the pack. our future is defined by the research we fund today.

all this for a paltry 100 billion investment since 1984. these days congress sneezes and spends more money.
in my mind scientific research is of vital strategic importance.

JWBurnie
03-20-2009, 03:25 PM
How about scientific experiements that need a perfect vacum to work in. Suppose a cure for cncer could be developed in space for that reason. Put a value on that.

JMHO

Priceless. If NASA found a cure for cancer, their purpose is justified.

This current mission could have been delayed. The money saved could have been put toward....I don't know; our military hospitals, wounded troops & their recovery, cancer research. Do you guys see where I am going? Am I that crazy?

I'm not saying do away with it all together.

DJofSD
03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
One day you and I are going to agree on something, DJ.

We best not hold our breathe while waiting.
Oh, we probably already do except those things are either not part of a political domain or they just haven't come up in out off-topics banterings.

PaceAdvantage
03-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Is this event really news worthy based on everything else going on in this world?Is the world REALLY that different today than any other period in time where this NASA story would be newsworthy?

Pell Mell
03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Priceless. If NASA found a cure for cancer, their purpose is justified.

This current mission could have been delayed. The money saved could have been put toward....I don't know; our military hospitals, wounded troops & their recovery, cancer research. Do you guys see where I am going? Am I that crazy?

I'm not saying do away with it all together.

Do you really think that if the money wasn't spent on NASA or our wars that someone would say, "Oh look, we saved x amount of dollars so now we can help the poor, feed the hungry, or up the welfare roles". Would never happen!