PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Racing commision Suspends Thistle Permit to operate

JustRalph
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/03/19/racy.html?sid=101

They recommended video slots...........and told Thistle to shut it down.

more at the link

draynay
03-19-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/03/19/racy.html?sid=101

They recommended video slots...........and told Thistle to shut it down.

more at the link

I hope Ohio gets it together... they have some really nice tracks it would be great to see them get some money so they could make them what they were 30 or 40 years ago.

CincyHorseplayer
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I bet Ohio racetracks during the summer from River Downs.This would wipe out half of the 72 races provided a week.I wonder if Thistle does get suspended that Beulah will get extended dates(or RD) or the purse money would go up around the state to compete with Indiana Downs etc??

All I know is Ohio is really fu**ing up any love they ever showed to horseplayers who have followed the circuit for years and it's a shame,River is a totally awesome little racetrack and the circuit while cheaper than most is beatable.

GlenninOhio
03-19-2009, 06:21 PM
River is a totally awesome little racetrack and the circuit while cheaper than most is beatable.

You've got that right - beautiful setting, great turf course, gorgeous paddock area.

draynay
03-19-2009, 06:23 PM
I bet Ohio racetracks during the summer from River Downs.This would wipe out half of the 72 races provided a week.I wonder if Thistle does get suspended that Beulah will get extended dates(or RD) or the purse money would go up around the state to compete with Indiana Downs etc??

All I know is Ohio is really fu**ing up any love they ever showed to horseplayers who have followed the circuit for years and it's a shame,River is a totally awesome little racetrack and the circuit while cheaper than most is beatable.

Been to every ohio track a dozen times or more. First and only time I had too much to drink was at the little brown jug !

CincyHorseplayer
03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
You've got that right - beautiful setting, great turf course, gorgeous paddock area.

Glen I've had a Sunlite pool pass every summer since I was 6ys old.River Downs,SLP is my summertime home(right next to each other).I can't imagine not having one or the other because it's been 30yrs since my godfather took me to the Downs and the pool 4-5 days a week during the summer.It's been a staple all my life.

Tread
03-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Saying Ohio has wonderful track(s) is a bit of a stretch. River Downs is a great venue and I enjoy watching races there just as much as anywhere else. Beulah Park and Thistledown are hell-holes that need to be bulldozed to the ground.

For as much as people are saying "let the bad banks fail" in the U.S. right now, it's time to let the bad tracks fail as well. There is a reason these places don't generate any money. You would have to be out of your mind to visit Thistledown or Beulah Park when interent wagering at livingroom Downs is available.

If Kentucky could annex River Downs and run there still, it would be ideal

bane
03-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I've been to Beulah and I liked it, but I was expecting something far worse. Aquaduct is still a dump in my eye.

mountainman
03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Saying Ohio has wonderful track(s) is a bit of a stretch. River Downs is a great venue and I enjoy watching races there just as much as anywhere else. Beulah Park and Thistledown are hell-holes that need to be bulldozed to the ground.

For as much as people are saying "let the bad banks fail" in the U.S. right now, it's time to let the bad tracks fail as well. There is a reason these places don't generate any money. You would have to be out of your mind to visit Thistledown or Beulah Park when interent wagering at livingroom Downs is available.

Some truth in your post.

DarnThatAlarm
03-22-2009, 03:17 PM

This post speaks the dead truth. Some of these tracks do not deserve to be in business.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Has anything changed on this? I read on DRF today that the Ohio Derby has been cancelled for this year, but that the meet is scheduled to start on 4/30. MI Developments is supposed to run the assets they buy (despite minority stockholder complaints) from Magna Entertainment.

I'm refering to TDN being permitted to operate, not Slots at Ohio Tracks.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/102512.html

lamboguy
03-31-2009, 08:02 PM
to many republican's in ohio.

Tread
03-31-2009, 08:11 PM
The bond payment was made and they will be allowed to operate.

bdownes
03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
If the Ohio tracks disappear with the new slots deal (backed by Penn National and the Cavs owner that gives peanuts to the Ohio tracks) being proposed then that means most Ohio tracks would cease to exist. What else happens? Well... Mountaineer loses its major revenue source. Ohio. Presque Isle Downs loses its revenue source. Ohio. There was a reason why Mountaineer paid a pretty penny for Scioto Downs (harness track just south of Columbus). It was an insurance policy for Ohio getting slots.

JustRalph
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
to many republican's in ohio.

yeah, but most of them know the difference between "too" and "to"

Steve 'StatMan'
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
The bond payment was made and they will be allowed to operate.

Thanks!

michiken
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
To sum two and two is not too hard?

Tom
03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Too + to = for.

Aw, fourget it.