PDA

View Full Version : Player tracking systems

Barchyman
07-20-2001, 12:22 PM
Our local track (Turf Paradise) has just switched tote providers, going from AmTote to Autotote. Prominent on the new Autotote self-wagering machines are card readers. In speaking with racetrack management, they are planning to start up a player tracking system (something like this Golden State Rewards Network in California maybe?)

Is there anything worthwhile in these systems (for those of you who have experience with these) to get excited about? To avoid? Anything in particular you'd want to see/not see in a system?

Thanks,
Tom

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Are you a developer? Are you involved in the development of the system?

If so, get in touch with me. Perhaps I can save you a lot of work...

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Barchyman
07-20-2001, 12:40 PM
No - I'm not a developer. Apparently the basic machinery of the card reader/tracking system as such is part of the Autotote package.

What I was wondering about are the actual "rewards" of the system. I guess everyone wagering through account systems is being tracked whether they like it or not - so there is probably no reason to not want to be tracked - but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Tom

ridersup
07-20-2001, 06:33 PM
Barchyman:

Churchill Downs tracks have installed card readers and alllow patrons to join what they call the Twin Spires Club. Swipe your card before you bet and your # is entered into the automatic tote machine. Rewards are points to be redeemed for merchandise. Fellow sitting next to me yesterday at the Indianapolis Sports Spectrum said he had accumulated 3,000 points and for that he is entitled to a $50 voucher.

Today they gave Twin Spires members the opportunity to enter a contest in the 4th 6th and 8th races at Arlington park. Friday winner gets $250 in cash and the right to participate in finals of 50K contest on August 10.

If you don't enter your card number I don't see how they can track you.

At least CDI is trying to give something back to the handicappers.

Ridersup

Lefty
07-21-2001, 12:12 PM
Don't think i'd like being tracked. If govt. ever asked for
your records you think they'd get them? Orwell was right.

07-21-2001, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lefty

Don't think i'd like being tracked. If govt. ever asked for
your records you think they'd get them? Orwell was right.

I'm with you. The little perks the tracks offer ain't worth sacrificing your privacy!

Boxcar

Tom
07-21-2001, 04:17 PM
Amen to that.
Big Brother is going to the track.
Perks aren't worth it.
Someone on the Rosanne Show once said it very well at Las Vegas "We converted our craps winnings into actual crap!"
Tom