Bubba X
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Likely entrants as of 3/17:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/media/pdfs/dwc-possible-fields.pdf

cj's dad
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Likely entrants as of 3/17:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/media/pdfs/dwc-possible-fields.pdf

The classic's post time is 9:30 PM UAE time which is 1:30 PM EDT.

Niko
03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome day of racing. Look forward to it every year. As much fun as the Breeders Cup.

facorsig
03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I'll be there. My sister is flying in from Boston earlier in the week. The weather is getting hotter, but remains comfortable. You can be sure the track will not be sloppy!!!

Fred

Doc
03-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I would love to see either Albertus Maximus or Arson Squad win the World Cup, but it looks pretty wide open. Didn't realize Indian Blessing was also on the undercard, thanks for posting the entries.

Watcher
03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Anyone know where to find the online feeds for the World Cup Day?

slew101
03-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I thought Delightful Kiss was running in the World Cup. I hope he didn't get hurt in that grass fiasco two weeks ago.

slew101
03-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Read Delightful Kiss came out of the turf race with a minor ankle injury, and won't go to Dubai. Trainer said he's 95 percent fit but won't make the trip.

Too bad, because that long stretch would have been perfect for his running style.

Dick Powell
03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Twinspires, Youbet, ExpressBet will all have online coverage. TVG and HRTV will show all the races on their networks as will Capital OTB, NYCOTB.

Market Mover
03-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Twinspires, Youbet, ExpressBet will all have online coverage. TVG and HRTV will show all the races on their networks as will Capital OTB, NYCOTB.

I heard espn360.com will carry the live card as well if you don't have an ADW account....

Market Mover
03-25-2009, 02:07 AM
I would love to see either Albertus Maximus or Arson Squad win the World Cup, but it looks pretty wide open. Didn't realize Indian Blessing was also on the undercard, thanks for posting the entries.

Methinks Indian Blessing may be the underlay of the day, from an American wagering pool standpoint. She's never run over the straight and this is against older males. I know Black Seventeen isn't the same as he used to be, but something tells me he can outbreak the filly and has the speed to lead. If there is a pace meltdown, who's got the best kick? Force Freeze is an interesting speed type as well, having raced at Oaklawn and shown tenacity up front. I'm looking for a closer to pick up the pieces...is there any legitimate choice out there??

toussaud
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Methinks Indian Blessing may be the underlay of the day, from an American wagering pool standpoint. She's never run over the straight and this is against older males. I know Black Seventeen isn't the same as he used to be, but something tells me he can outbreak the filly and has the speed to lead. If there is a pace meltdown, who's got the best kick? Force Freeze is an interesting speed type as well, having raced at Oaklawn and shown tenacity up front. I'm looking for a closer to pick up the pieces...is there any legitimate choice out there??

my favoriate racing day of the year, becuase the americans bet american even when the american horses have no chance in hell of winning.

I'd be shocked if Indian Blessing beat Dibolicial in that race. Aarson Squad and AM are not anywhere near the level of a racehorse as Honour Devil, my indy or Asiatic Boy, yet people will play them beucase those are the two horses they know.

Desert Party should be the play of the day.

cj's dad
03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Awesome day of racing. Look forward to it every year. As much fun as the Breeders Cup.

Re: TV coverage - I find the camera angles atrocious. Very difficult to watch. I remember that after each race people at the track are standing around saying "who won, who won"?

Stevie Belmont
03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Lava Man was like 3/1 a couple years back in the Dubai Duty Free. Talk about a horse that had no shot.

OTM Al
03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Re: TV coverage - I find the camera angles atrocious. Very difficult to watch. I remember that after each race people at the track are standing around saying "who won, who won"?

I think they do that more because they have forgotten how to read silks and instead rely only on saddle blanket colours, which area all the same in Dubai

cj's dad
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I think they do that more because they have forgotten how to read silks and instead rely only on saddle blanket colours, which area all the same in Dubai

Hell Al, I'm in that group wondering who won also !!

OTM Al
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Hmmm....you really want to see something show up to the English racing tent at Saratoga this summer and we'll watch one of those straightaway 5f sprints with about 25 entrants tearassing down the course with about a 10 horse blanket finish. Now that's when it gets a little challenging!

cj's dad
03-25-2009, 02:02 PM

I can prep for that by trying to read Andicaps #2 font pacefigures print outs.

OTM Al
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I can prep for that by trying to read Andicaps #2 font pacefigures print outs.

Are they even that big?

cj's dad
03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Are they even that big?

I forgot, I was using a magnifying glass !!

Watcher
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
What's the best way to get video from this day? Any site recommendations?

philofbelloni
03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Looking at the PP 6F finishes, the Hong Kong/USA winners are consistently 1:08/1:09 while the British & French times are routinely 2-3 seconds higher. Are the UK/French routes "about 6F" as opposed to exactly 6F in Hong Kong/US?
If anyone were to tell me Nad Al Sheba times are similar to Hong Kong, I'd throw the farm on Lucky Quality.

facorsig
03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
What's the best way to get video from this day? Any site recommendations?

Here is a live link from the Dubai Racing Club website, but it appears to be for a game:

http://play.pulselive.com/pulse/#game

Here in the UAE we have a dedicated horse racing channel from Nad Al Sheba. The videos are posted to the Dubai Racing Club website quickly after the race conclusion.

All of the tickets are sold out and scalpers are seeking 3x face value for the cheapest paid tickets. We plan to sit with the masses in the free admission area because.....I don't have a choice!

Fred

facorsig
03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
It has been very windy the last couple of days with unusually high amounts of dust in the air. Visibility was 50 meters yesterday at Abu Dhabi's airport. Today's newspaper is reporting unfavorable weather conditions for the next five days, including hail last night in the west of Dubai. This weather is not entirely unusual and a quick rain storm (or two) will settle the winds and rain; however, that same rain will not quickly drain from the track. Get ready for an off track on Saturday (and I hope those scalpers are forced to drop their prices as a result!).

Fred

joanied
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Anyone know where to find the online feeds for the World Cup Day?

ESPN360.com (if it isn't dot com, just go to ESPN and you'll find it)
:)

joanied
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Ohboy...wish the weather in Dubia is OK...hate to see the track muddy...but I am on pins & needles:faint: and can't wait:jump: because my eyes will be glued to Indian Blessing...she'll have her work cut out for her...

My picks for the DIRT MILE;
Two Step Slasa (Dettori rides)
Tiz Now Tiz Then
Art of War

UEA Derby:
Desert Party...I suspect he may not come here unless he wins this.

Golden Shaheen;
INDIAN BLESSING (in a heart stopper)
Diabolical
Hammadi (I don't know why)

Shaheen Classic;
Red Rocks (just like this horse)

Duty Free;
Kip Deville
Niconero
Hyperbolic

World Cup;
Albertus Maximus
Arson Squad
Mahannak

All I really want is for Indian Blessing to win:ThmbUp:

point given
03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Ohboy...wish the weather in Dubia is OK...hate to see the track muddy...but I am on pins & needles:faint: and can't wait:jump: because my eyes will be glued to Indian Blessing...she'll have her work cut out for her...

My picks for the DIRT MILE;
Two Step Slasa (Dettori rides)
Tiz Now Tiz Then
Art of War

UEA Derby:
Desert Party...I suspect he may not come here unless he wins this.

Golden Shaheen;
INDIAN BLESSING (in a heart stopper)
Diabolical
Hammadi (I don't know why)

Shaheen Classic;
Red Rocks (just like this horse)

Duty Free;
Kip Deville
Niconero
Hyperbolic

World Cup;
Albertus Maximus
Arson Squad
Mahannak

All I really want is for Indian Blessing to win:ThmbUp:

I think Kippers race is 1 1/8 ? no ? While he did it at gulf this winter , I think he is very suspect at the distance and sure to be a short price . My bet against horse for the day.

draynay
03-26-2009, 07:46 PM
If it is wet at all no horse has any shot at beating Desert Party. When wet bet the house on Desert Party. :)

joanied
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I think Kippers race is 1 1/8 ? no ? While he did it at gulf this winter , I think he is very suspect at the distance and sure to be a short price . My bet against horse for the day.

Hey there PG...good point...but I'll stay with him...I really like him...I'm just too sentamental for my own good:)

Gorgeous George
03-27-2009, 05:54 AM
RACE 1. Lucky Find

RACE 2. Desert Party

RACE 3. Marchand D'or (nap)

RACE 4. Vodka

RACE 5. Doctor Dino

RACE 6. Asiatic Boy

I think we should all do a placepot for a bit of fun just to see how we get on with a small wager. Makes it more interesting.

highnote
03-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Nick Mordin's Dubai World Cup Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Mordin just updated his Dubai World Cup analysis. If you received the HANA notification tonight at 8:30pm or earlier, you may have read the Nick's first version. Now that new information is available, Nick updated his analysis and it has been posted on the HANA blog.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/

Tread
03-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I kinda like Jose Adan or Soy Libriano to beat Desert Party here, their thorograph figures are all similar and the prices means it is worth a shot. Desert Party is very slow on Thorograph compared to the even average 3 year olds who are currently competing for the Derby. Unless he makes a major forward move here, he is a Derby non-factor no matter how much money he has.

Going to use the 3,9,12 on the bottom of a tri also.

Tom
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Heck of a nice halftime show.

joanied
03-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Tom... yep, they sure put on a good show...loved the Arabian at Liberty that kissed the Cup. Cool stuff:cool:

On another note...INDIAN BLESSING...flat footed start...wish they'd waited just a second more to spring the gates...hell, she wasn't in there but a half second...then she was up against the rail...way too close there...and never knew Big City Man was there until it was too late...
I am crushed she didn't win...but getting 2nd ain't bad...a good start and she'd have won by a nose.
Indian Blessing...she is game, tough, courageous and loaded with class...a Champion then, and Champion now.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

joanied
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
WELL ARMED.....WELL DONE:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I sure overlooked him...I think most of us did:eek: ...but he was outstanding...awesome, fantastic...I couldn't be happier with this one:jump: I'm thrilled for Aron and Eoin, especially Aron...he sooooo deserved this.

I am a happy camper...yipeeeeee:jump:

philofbelloni
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Congrats to Harty & Gryder!!! Aaron finally nabbed a big one. Well Armed...Well Deserved!!!

point given
03-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats to Harty & Gryder!!! Aaron finally nabbed a big one. Well Armed...Well Deserved!!!
Glad for Gryder too. Now he has something to throw in Talamos face next season :ThmbUp: A very nice days work, he won't need a plane to get home, he'll be flyin high.

parimutual
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Best Boy performance of 3/28. Ahmed in Duty Free, a front running performance followed by last to first trip in the Sheema both at big odds. Enjoyed his accomplishments. Ex camel jockey shows the world a thing or two.

joanied
03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad for Gryder too. Now he has something to throw in Talamos face next season :ThmbUp: A very nice days work, he won't need a plane to get home, he'll be flyin high.

Unless I Want Revenge takes the Derby or something...that'd suck...meantime, Aron is on Cloud 9...like you said, PG...flyin' high...and first class too!!
:jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Niko
03-29-2009, 02:25 PM
It's funny... after watching Jockeys I was happier for Gryder after he won too, nice job. I overlooked the horse myself.

Now I wonder who hit that tri and super...wow. The race really felt apart after the winnner. I would've needed 2 all buttons to cash it.

Another great day of racing done first class.

facorsig
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Some quick trip notes from last night's visit to Nad Al Sheba, the last horse race conducted at the site of Dubai World Cup because the facility will be replace by Meydan next year.

As per the local newspaper guidance, we came by taxi. Actually, the first taxi refused to take my sister and I (claimed he did not know where the race track was), so we took a second. Traffic was unexpectedly light at arrival, but we were arriving after 3 races were complete, include Desert Party's loss. Skies were severely overcast, but better than expected. Security protocols which resulted in 3 hour lines last year were strong, but without delay. We were without tickets and sat in the far turn grandstand for free. I've been to two previous Breeder's Cup events and these tickets would be $75 there. Large television screen showed the races. We were situated behind the starting gate for Indian Blessing's loss and aside for the finale. The views were difficult, but most spectators did not seem very interested in the races. The entertainment after race 4 was particularly spectacular with a Roger Waters light show of infield balloons and fireworks. Roger Waters is somewhat known here because he does occasional concerts, but the coordination was simply first class highlighting the UAE flag on the infield. Heavy rains came after the show and many, many people left or sought refuge under the grandstands. The rain receded until horses were coming into the home stretch during the World Cup.

By the time the Shaheen Classic post time came, I told my sister I liked the two, Eastern Anthem, because of what appeared to be a rail bias. I wish there was local gambling (or even a glass of beer (which is reserved for folks in fancy dress paying $1000 per seat for an afternoon bender)).

The World Cup race was marked by an electrical fire in a transformer in front of us. The was the far turn not raced in a 1-1/4 mile one turn race, but I was concerned the race would be delayed (or worse). The smoke was attended and arrested while the runners crossed though on their way to the starting gate. I noticed Well Armed broke so quickly and moved to the rail that he was unlikely to be challenged based on the earlier races. He won so easily, but the surprise finishers were the balance of runners, absent of the UAE's best after what had been a great night for the Maktoum family and other UAE connections.

I am really hoping to remain here another year to participate for a full day. I missed 2007 due to my son's birth and 2008 because of family travel. If I am here in 2010, others may wish to join. Hotels are very expensive. My Hyatt room was free because of business travel, but otherwise $375/night is the norm. Beers in the lobby were $11/each. My sister and I capped off the night with a quick visit to Irish Village (drinks $8/each) and this morning we went to the gold souq and a shopping trip to Dubai Mall. I hate malls, but this place rocked. We bought quite a few gifts for my son's second birthday tomorrow.

Fred