PDA

View Full Version : Any Comment on Lousiana Derby? Fractions?

JustRalph
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I just watched the vid from the LA Derby. Friesan Fire looked like he had it all over them. Didn't break a sweat.

I am kind of suspect of the fractions. I figured with it wet they might go faster. I don't play LA Downs so maybe I am off base here. Just wondered if anybody had a comment on the fractions? Visually it looks very good. But I hear a voice in my head asking about the fractions.

cj
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
He went very slowly on the lead for that final time. That said, he did blow them away late.

BillW
03-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't play LA Downs

Fairgrounds :p

Tom
03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
What's the deal with LA Downs....no more t-breds?

cj
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
LaD runs in the summer. The only time they ran this time of year was when FG was closed due to hurricane damage.

Robert Fischer
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I just watched the vid from the LA Derby. Friesan Fire looked like he had it all over them. Didn't break a sweat.

I am kind of suspect of the fractions. I figured with it wet they might go faster. I don't play LA Downs so maybe I am off base here. Just wondered if anybody had a comment on the fractions? Visually it looks very good. But I hear a voice in my head asking about the fractions.

i have it hand timed 01:45.893 from the gate, so the final time looks good. The quarter and half look reasonable, Maybe the fraction for 6furlongs appears slow, visually Papa Clem was trying to catch a breather after the half on the lead, and Friesan Fire came to even terms at about 6F.

thruncy
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM

143.46Has anyone out there ever considered that until Trakus *(used now only at KEE, WO, & DMR) is able to individually time each finisher...hundredths are USELESS showbiz nonsense. Round 'em off to tenths or double the fifths & fuggedaboutit! Also, if you DO express these numbers correctly they read: 24.12, 48.75, 73.34, 103.46....otherwise your 4 to 6f split is 64.59; and the last 2.5f was covered in an astounding minus 9.88 secs. *Quarter horses are timed differently--see Charlie Carroll's book: "Handicapping Speed" @ Desertsea.com.

Robert Fischer
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
also the mile fraction was 1:37.20
97.2 for Thruncy ;)

They had it messed up around 1:33 and change.

JustRalph
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Fairgrounds :p

Thanks for the correction bill.......... I always confuse the two

CincyHorseplayer
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Even with a split variant on the day by the Beyer crew,the pace figure for the fillies was still superior right??

If speed/pace figures are symmetrical the two winners are near equals.What was it .07 seconds difference in the final time??

Mineshaft
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
What's the deal with LA Downs....no more t-breds?

T'Breds run from May-October

ManeMediaMogul
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I was there.

Bejarano has the best hands in racing. He nursed Papa Clem around there as good as Shoemaker could have.

Friesan Fire looked like a beast in the paddock. He was super sharp and just blew the field away. I saw some of the turf scribes thought the off track promoted him...I say, "Horsefeathers!"

The Fire is legit as far as I am concerned. My concern is that he may have peaked a tad too soon.

JustRalph
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Good stuff......... :ThmbUp:

draynay
03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
last years Pyro.... let him win a G1 before getting too excited. His slow splits are nothing to get excited about. ;)

Robert Fischer
03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
His slow splits are nothing to get excited about. ;)
How about the split that counts - from 6furlongs to the wire?

in the La. Derby
FF came home the last 2 1/2 furlongs in 30.05 seconds.

What other 3yo has closed a 1 1/16th in 30 seconds on dirt this year?
All I see Is I Want Revenge 29.93 (Gotham)

for comparison Win Willy closed in 31.67 in the Rebel
Pioneerof the Nile took 30.46 to get home over quicker synthetic in the San Felipe

draynay
03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
How about the split that counts - from 6furlongs to the wire?

in the La. Derby
FF came home the last 2 1/2 furlongs in 30.05 seconds.

What other 3yo has closed a 1 1/16th in 30 seconds on dirt this year?
All I see Is I Want Revenge 29.93 (Gotham)

for comparison Win Willy closed in 31.67 in the Rebel
Pioneerof the Nile took 30.46 to get home over quicker synthetic in the San Felipe

If you fire off a 48.75 and a 1:13.34 you better come home with some speed because against better horses you will be 12 lengths behind. Do you honestly think the Pamplemousse or Quality Road would have any problem posting a 1:11 ? Splits matter....times matter. Friesan Fire is too slow to compete with the best. He looks great against G2 level competition wait until he meets the big boys then we will see what he is made of. Old Fashioned was the same .... saw real fractions for the first time and folded.... FF will do the same. ;)

Robert Fischer
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
If you fire off a 48.75 and a 1:13.34 you better come home with some speed because against better horses you will be 12 lengths behind. Do you honestly think the Pamplemousse or Quality Road would have any problem posting a 1:11 ? Splits matter....times matter. Friesan Fire is too slow to compete with the best. He looks great against G2 level competition wait until he meets the big boys then we will see what he is made of. Old Fashioned was the same .... saw real fractions for the first time and folded.... FF will do the same. ;)

"real fractions" will separate a lot of these horses.
Most of the time, when adding distance AND class the horses who fall by the wayside are the ones used to forcing the fast fractions.
When the "slow fraction" guys like Friesan Fire don't take part in using up all the energy early, they easily make up the difference.
If a horse can run on after fast fractions at 10 furlongs he is a special horse. Quality Road could be... I'm rooting for him. I'd rather see a several of these guys turn out to be great derby horses.:ThmbUp:

draynay
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
"real fractions" will separate a lot of these horses.
Most of the time, when adding distance AND class the horses who fall by the wayside are the ones used to forcing the fast fractions.
When the "slow fraction" guys like Friesan Fire don't take part in using up all the energy early, they easily make up the difference.
If a horse can run on after fast fractions at 10 furlongs he is a special horse. Quality Road could be... I'm rooting for him. I'd rather see a several of these guys turn out to be great derby horses.:ThmbUp:

I am cheering for the same thing. I really think Quality Road could be the monster everyone is looking for. I guess we will find out in the Florida Derby.
I am also looking for Imperial Council to show his REAL stuff in the Wood. ;)