PDA

View Full Version : One of the Good Guys Passes.....Ron Silver

JustRalph
03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Ron Silver passed yesterday. He was a Hollywood Type who changed from Lib to something much more to the right.

It hurt his career, but he said 9-11 changed him. He often said being Liberal was no longer practical...........and when he said it on Fox News ..........he was hurt in his pocketbook. He was still to the left on some issues.......but he was Respectable in that he chose to discuss these issues with tact, intelligence and respect for those he disagreed with. He was principled and had the ability to communicate very well. He will be missed.

EffkCkx7_TQ

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/theonerepublicanjew.jpg

M. Malkin has a piece on him ............

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/03/15/ron-silver-rip-flashback-silvers-2004-rnc-speech/

NJ Stinks
03-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I've always liked Ron Silver. And I admired his williness to go against the graine in Hollywood. A man of coviction who I will miss. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

prospector
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I've always liked Ron Silver. And I admired his williness to go against the graine in Hollywood. A man of coviction who I will miss. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
well said..i couldn't agree more:ThmbUp:

Secretariat
03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I saw Ron in Speed the Plow on Broadway in the 90's for which he won a Tony Award. He was absolutely phenomenal in the role. Joe Mantegna and Madonna was in it was well, bBut Silver stole the show.

Truly, too young to go. He was a truly wonderful actor, despiute being an absolute idiot politically in his latter years.

Tom
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Talk about classless. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

JustRalph
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I saw Ron in Speed the Plow on Broadway in the 90's for which he won a Tony Award. He was absolutely phenomenal in the role. Joe Mantegna and Madonna was in it was well, bBut Silver stole the show.

Truly, too young to go. He was a truly wonderful actor, despiute being an absolute idiot politically in his latter years.

he is brilliant in one part of his life.......but because he disagreed with you......... he was an "absolute idiot" politically............

you are so tolerant........typical liberal

boxcar
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Now, there's something upon which we can agree (except for the "coviction" part ;)). :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

lsbets
03-16-2009, 07:04 PM
despiute being an absolute idiot politically in his latter years.

If you are going to call someone an idiot, use spell check.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
...despiute being an absolute idiot politically in his latter years.

You guys have something in common then.

Tom
03-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Go Steve! :lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2009, 02:00 AM
you are so tolerant........typical liberalSec's not a liberal...he was going to vote for McCain so that the country would go down the toilet with a Republican in charge and....well....oh, just forget the whole thing! :faint:

Tom
03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that.
Sec, Sec,Sec......tsk tsk tsk.
Duplicity.....again.

JustRalph
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Ann Coulter on Ron Silver.....revealing piece in some ways

http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/printer_friendly.cgi?article=302

I've noticed that words like "brave" and "courageous" are mostly used nowadays to mean "left-wing.." We're constantly asked to admire the monumental courage of Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, Janeane Garofalo and the Dixie Chicks -- sometimes even by other people.

But for my younger readers, what courage traditionally meant was risking the disapprobation of people you know. It was about losing friends, losing work and losing status where you live -- not alienating people you will never meet. Insulting people in Kansas when you live in Los Angeles is not speaking truth to power; it's speaking anything to serve power.

One thing you cannot say about Ron's magnificent speech at the 2004 Republican National Convention is that he did it to go with the flow in Hollywood, to take the path of least resistance, to win easy applause. Ron did lose work, lose friends and lose his entire social apparatus.

Ron didn't say what he said to get any kind of reaction, but because he believed it. He was an intellectual trapped in an actor's body.

Amid the antiques at his beautifully appointed Park Avenue pre-war, there were piles and piles of magazines and newspaper articles on topics ranging from Sunni Muslims to Darwinism. Nearly every room was lined with books, most of them dog-eared.

When I needed to stay with Ron for a few weeks once, he'd get up hours before I did, read all the major newspapers and leave the interesting articles circled at the foot of my bed.

This might be the nicest thing a man could ever do for me. Hey, skip the bagel and fresh coffee -- bring me that op-ed page and a pair of scissors! It was like a fabulous Park Avenue hotel with a clipping service.

During his long-shot chemo treatments at "the spa," as he called Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Ron turned his chemo rooms into Command Central. Most people doze off during chemo; Ron would be sitting upright, watching the news, checking his laptop and making cell phone calls, seemingly oblivious to the poison being injected into his arm.

He'd often come to church with me on Sundays -- while insisting he favored the "Original Testament," as if the New Testament were an act of judicial activism. He just liked to hear an intellectual lecture on the Bible -- and always perked up when the minister began discussing the "Original Testament."

"fter an aborted operation on his cancer in July 2007, as soon as I saw Ron in his hospital bed, I told him I had Christians across the country praying for him. He said, "That's good, because the Jews are praying for me to die."

Here he was joking only hours after being told his cancer was inoperable and he had mere months to live. Nearly two years later, he was gone. Luckily for him, he now faces a Maker who rewards bravery, but despises "bravery."

much more at the link

jognlope
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
He and Sidney Pollack gone, two of my favorite nyers.

nijinski
03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
He couldn't get the right time of day from Hollyweird when he changed his
political focus after 9-11.
Even after treatment for his cancer when he was strong enough they turned
their back on him.
Basicly so did the primetime newscasts.He got very little coverage or respect in his passing.
Shame on all of them, and may he RIP.

PaceAdvantage
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I noticed MSNBC barely mentioned his passing, and did so hours after other major websites reported on his death.

Just an observation...

Dahoss9698
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I noticed MSNBC barely mentioned his passing, and did so hours after other major websites reported on his death.

Just an observation...

I'm curious, what did you expect?

If Janene Garafalo died how would Fox News report it? He was a good actor and his passing was a shame, cancer is an awful way to die. But must everything here be turned into a political pissing match?

Suff
03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Ron who?

I was thinking back a couple of months ago when Show Me The Wire suggested the rise in Military Suicides was tied to Obama's inauguration. The argument which was made, and then advanced, was that when multiple events take place surrounding a sudden change, then its reasonable to assume one had something to do with the other.

For Example, a January spike in military suicides occurred in the same month that Barack Obama was Inaugurated, and since it was likely that many service people hated Obama, it could explain the suicide rate.

That made me think that when Ron Silver was appointed to the Scooter Libby Defense Fund it was shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Now when you think the Republicans did in fact blame God for pulling back his protective shield and allowing Muslims to attack us on 9-11,..., it raises an interesting theory.

I suggest that God pulled back his protective shield on Ron Silver and he got cancer. It it appears likely that he got Cancer because he lost his ability to think rationally and started thinking from fear.

I believe in a vengeful God.

ArlJim78
03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm curious, what did you expect?

If Janene Garafalo died how would Fox News report it? He was a good actor and his passing was a shame, cancer is an awful way to die. But must everything here be turned into a political pissing match?
so you participate in the political pissing match by making the comment about Fox, then bemoan why everything must be a pissing match? you have not participated on any thread that wasn't a pissing match so let's drop the charade that it's something alien to you.

why would Fox not mention the passing of someone who has made numerous appearances on their network?

Marshall Bennett
03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I suggest that God pulled back his protective shield on Ron Silver and he got cancer. It it appears likely that he got Cancer because he lost his ability to think rationally and started thinking from fear.

Another fine example of your complete lack of class and character . If God were in fact so vengeful , you're skating on thin ice by posting such garbage .

Dahoss9698
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
so you participate in the political pissing match by making the comment about Fox, then bemoan why everything must be a pissing match? you have not participated on any thread that wasn't a pissing match so let's drop the charade that it's something alien to you.

why would Fox not mention the passing of someone who has made numerous appearances on their network?

I've really got you going good, don't I? The comment about Fox? I asked a question. I just figured a thread about a guy dying might be exempt from the pissing match. My bad, I forgot where I was.

I actually liked Ron Silver as an actor. He was great in Time Cop, such an underrated movie and Mia Sara is so hot. I could care less about his political beliefs. I can seperate stuff like that. Can you?

PaceAdvantage
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Ron who?Oh come on, you know. He was on that favorite lefist tv show...West Wing. Oh wait, you were more of a righty back when that was on the air. Never mind.

I realize Natasha Richardson was younger and died in a more sudden (and some would argue more tragic) fashion, but I would venture a guess that if polled, more people in this country know who Ron Silver was than Natasha Richardson. Yet, when she died, her face was plastered all over MSNBC. When Silver died, you could barely find the link (that is, when it was finally posted).

Suff
03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Another fine example of your complete lack of class and character . If God were in fact so vengeful , you're skating on thin ice by posting such garbage .

Oh, I'm not going to heaven. That much I already know.

I look at the positive, I wouldn't have known many people there anyway.

Marshall. I try and post silly to highlight the silly. Its the only way of juxtaposing the crap that passes as intelligence here.

Suff
03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh come on, you know. He was on that favorite lefist tv show...West Wing. Oh wait, you were more of a righty back when that was on the air. Never mind.

I don't have MSNBC. I have basic cable at $26.00 a month. With Comcast that does not include MSNBC. So I can't help you with the comparison.

I had and still have, no idea who that lady was that died in the ski accident. Her husband I recognize from some Irish roles I vaguely recall.

Neither one of these persons deaths affected me in anyway. Not even a slight blip on my radar. I care about all human beings, but I am not a phony baloney oh my God Ron Silver died! he was a good guy, and a victim of liberal bias and oh my , and oh my.

Ron Silver did ok for Ron Silver and for that I'm happy for him.

From what I understand, dying is some sort of promotion or an elevation in status? I look forward to my new job some day.

btw, I only watch Cspan, History channel, Discovery, and news channels. I never saw west wing, I've never seen 24, nor American idol or any other pop culture TV show. The only show I watch that makes me laugh my balls off is The Office on Thursday's at 9:00. That show is unbelievably funny to me because I work in an office and I identify with how screwy it can be.

No MSNBC for SUFF. SUFF no like spend much money for shit he don't need.

hcap
03-24-2009, 08:33 PM

Just an observation...
Actually Chris Mathews did do a fine mini-eulogy and called him a friend
I never found Silver as extreme as some other loonies on the right. I could and did pay attention when he commented.

Tom
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I suggest that God pulled back his protective shield on TED KENNEDY and he got cancer. It it appears likely that he got Cancer because he lost his ability to think rationally and started thinking from fear.

JustRalph
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
close the thread please. It has been stained.

Tom
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree..sorry Ralph.

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't have MSNBC. I have basic cable at $26.00 a month. With Comcast that does not include MSNBC. So I can't help you with the comparison.Actually, when I typed MSNBC, I was referring to the website. Sorry for not being clearer.