PDA

View Full Version : Try this on for DUMB!

rrbauer
03-15-2009, 06:06 AM
From an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"Northfield officials report Thistledown and Northfield will no longer allow bettors to cash winning tickets at each other's tracks this year. . . . Northfield has live racing on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday in March, with a 7 p.m. post time. . . . Thistledown has simulcast racing every afternoon. . . ."

What is the rationale? Player goes to Northfield after an afternoon at Thistle and wants to cash a ticket from Thistle so he/she can play at Northfield. Northfield says, "Nope. Sorry you can't play". Another player buys a ticket at Northfield and heads home for the evening. It wins. Player shows up at Thistle the next day and wants to cash a ticket from Northfield so he/she can play at Thistle. Thistle says, "Nope. Sorry you can't play".

The only stretch that works here is that Northfield must be afraid that with the MEC bankruptcy that getting settlement of Thistle's tickets might be a problem. And, in return, Thistle gets even.

Who benefits? Who pays? The whole damn industry just needs to suck up some cyanide and start over.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-10/1237019640105000.xml&coll=2

cj
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I was amazed to hear how long it takes some tracks to settle up with ADWs and other tracks. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

onefast99
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I was amazed to hear how long it takes some tracks to settle up with ADWs and other tracks. Perhaps this has something to do with it.
CJ, if it is an all cash system wouldnt it be similar to wiring the funds minus the takeout?

cj
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
CJ, if it is an all cash system wouldnt it be similar to wiring the funds minus the takeout?

Though you would think it would, it doesn't work that way. Tracks apparently don't expect winning players. When they have to pay out to others, it can be more than a month before some pay up.

trigger
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=cj]Though you would think it would, it doesn't work that way. Tracks apparently don't expect winning players. When they have to pay out to others, it can be more than a month before some pay up.[/QUOT

Instead of waiting a month, wonder why the track doesn't just deduct what's owed to them from the next days (or the next next days,etc) reciepts until they are all even.

startngate
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
The only stretch that works here is that Northfield must be afraid that with the MEC bankruptcy that getting settlement of Thistle's tickets might be a problem. And, in return, Thistle gets even.I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

It's probably not that much of a stretch as I'd guess that Northfield probably cashes far more Thistledown tickets than vice-versa since players have to migrate over there after the day tracks are done each day due to Ohio's arcane simulcasting rules.

Cangamble
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

It's probably not that much of a stretch as I'd guess that Northfield probably cashes far more Thistledown tickets than vice-versa since players have to migrate over there after the day tracks are done each day due to Ohio's arcane simulcasting rules.
I could be wrong, but I think that money owed prior to the bankruptcy is more up in the air regarding ADWs than money that is owed after the bankruptcy was announced.
But still, there are always cash flow issues, if a track obligates itself to cash tickets from another venue.