PDA

View Full Version : Musket Man @ Tampa Bay Derby

Watcher
03-14-2009, 05:58 PM
mXuwtEtgjWA

sandpit
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
If I had a Derby horse, the only way I would go to Tampa is if I didn't care if I won or lost and a race fit in the schedule from a fitness standpoint somehow. I've always enjoyed the place overall, but the outcome of many of their races defies logic. Maybe the way today's race was run, with the entire field all bunched up behind at 100-1 shot, had an impact on things, but I'd venture to guess that none of the top three will have a KY Derby impact.

Doc
03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but the race did produce the Ky. Derby winner in 2007.

CincyHorseplayer
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I played Tampa today and made a few bucks.The rail was fairly good early and the track wasn't overly kind to frontrunners but watching the last 16th of a mile of this race I couldn't help but laugh as my biggest bet of the day went up in flames!!What the hell was that mess??!!!

I chalk it up to the sporadic nature of 3yo form more than anything.They can be hit or miss,even if the main contention misses all at once.Compared to the Louisiana Derby,that was like shootin fish in a barrel,this was pure chaos.

GATEDANCER2
03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
The race needs to be 1 1/8. Too short a run to the first turn. i said b4 the race that there were too many E and E/P horses in it and it would be chaos going into the first turn. There was bumping involving the inside horses at the break and it created even more of a first turn mess.

Sandpit, the track is fine. Its one of the safest dirt tracks in the country and if Nick, Todd, Carl, Shug, and a host of other top trainers send their horses to Tampa I think its OK. The problem is the race is 7 weeks b4 the Derby. It needs to move up a week or 2 or move back a week or two so either its one of the last preps or it leaves room for 1 more.

JPinMaryland
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Messed up call: He's calling Nowhere to Hide on the extreme outside and doesnt realize that's Musket Man till just before the wire.