PDA

View Full Version : Good sources for handicapping books

strapper
03-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Anyone in Texas has lots of opportunity to find handicapping and racing books at a chain called Half Price Books. I used to build up my turf library with visits to these stores in Houston - there's about a half dozen of them in the Great Houston Metropolis - not easy to find, though! Prices are good and you can trade in books for credit.

Overlay
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm familiar with Half-Price books, and have bought some handicapping titles in the past from their outlet in Greenwood, Indiana (just south of Indianapolis). I'm always grateful for any titles that I can find (and don't already have) at the larger chains. The single best source that I ever found (aside from specialty outlets like Gambler's Book Shop in Las Vegas, or the Gambler's Bookstore at Old Town Mall in Reno (which I don't believe is still in operation), was Joseph-Beth Booksellers at Lexington Green Mall in Kentucky. I can't speak for their selection now, but when I lived in Lexington (from 1988 to 1995), they had more handicapping titles than I'd seen at any other "mainstream" bookstore. (Maybe there was a similar store somewhere in Louisville (for instance), but I never checked it out.)

BIG RED
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Books for credit....?.... sounds like points for clicks?

If I'm wrong......http://www.sobeworld.com/images/lizzy_home.gif

strapper
03-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Actually Half Price Books does give you the cash if you want it - it's just that I always find more books to buy and wind up paying them more than my voucher. Books are one of my many weaknesses I guess.

CincyHorseplayer
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Ever since the Poker craze hit you can't find handicapping books anywhere it seems in the Cincinnati tristate area.

I've been getting books from Amazon.com.I've gotten some older titles that are hard to find,in great shape,for like $1.99 and $2.99 and newer titles for $10-15.The shipping often costs more than the books at $3.99.Plus even without express mail they arrive within a week.

I can't imagine buying from anywhere else now.

pktruckdriver
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I brought this back to ask about any updates to this thread concerning horse race handicapping related bookstores and possible websites, even ones from overseas too.

Contacts please, emails, phone #'s....

Looking for tapes, CD's and DVD'S.

THX Patrick

pktruckdriver
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I brought this back to ask about any updates to this thread concerning horse race handicapping related bookstores and possible websites, even ones from overseas too.

Contacts please, emails, phone #'s....

Looking for tapes, CD's and DVD'S.

THX Patrick

I have this as bigger font so I can read it better, since no one has answered this post do they think I am hollering at them, or what???

The answer is no I am not , I just have trouble reading the small print, but have just ordered from Cynthia, the 12 DVD Set from Dick Mitchell, for 187.00, which normally retail at 30.00 a piece, so I saved a littled bit.

But I am truly wanting anything that I can get on audio, or even Video, that I can listen to driving down the road, AS I Migtht As well put these wasted hours to work, maybe even some self-help type of audio, prefferably on CD's , anything to help me kill the time, or teach how to buy foreclosures real cheap, or short sales, goverment auctions, bank repo's, as I am now looking for a condo near Gulfstream and Calder, Or possibly near Keeneland, or a few other tracks, but where I do no9t know for sure yet, but being a Florida boy, I am tending to lean towards South Florida, as my 2 passions are right there for me Horse racing and deep sea fishing, plus my Dolphins too.

Boy I sure got carried off topic quickly , sorry.

Patrick

PS: Not screaming, just trying to read it, okay...

PaceAdvantage
04-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Patrick,

You could adjust your browser's font size instead of forcing everyone to read these huge font posts.

Either VIEW|TEXT SIZE in the browser menu or hitting the CTRL and + key (or - key) will do the trick.

pktruckdriver
04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Patrick,

You could adjust your browser's font size instead of forcing everyone to read these huge font posts.

Either VIEW|TEXT SIZE in the browser menu or hitting the CTRL and + key (or - key) will do the trick.

Will give it a try, didn't know I could do that. :confused: