PDA

View Full Version : Talamo's got a Derby horse!

strapper
03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Go Joe T. Go! Glad this young man has a live Ky. Derby shot. It may all he needs to be on his way among the true racing elite. I Want Revenge looks like a serious threat for the roses.

Doc
03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Agreed!

Now, inquiring minds want to know: Does he consummate his relationship with his teenage girlfriend on the next episode of "Jockeys"? :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Go Joe T. Go! Glad this young man has a live Ky. Derby shot. It may all he needs to be on his way among the true racing elite. I Want Revenge looks like a serious threat for the roses.

I hate to be a downer, but I would never, ever, ever, ever trust him with a Derby horse....it has nothing to do with the Jockeys show, just with watching him ride in CA on a regular basis

toussaud
03-13-2009, 03:28 PM
I hate to be a downer, but I would never, ever, ever, ever trust him with a Derby horse....it has nothing to do with the Jockeys show, just with watching him ride in CA on a regular basis

this

Grits
03-13-2009, 04:50 PM

I'd not ever wager on this young man in the Derby. I don't care if he was on Secretariat, I'd still be hard pressed. With experience, only in SoCal, the guy will go into shock when he has to navigate a 20 horse field. Jeremy Rose handled it well riding Afleet Alex to third, I'm not sure Talamo could do the same.

bushwick
03-13-2009, 09:23 PM
If I liked the horse he was riding it would not change the way I played the race. he is as competent as anybody else. At this point in his career he is alot more polished than most before him.

sandpit
03-13-2009, 09:28 PM
I see him as a complete bet against because of lack of experience...this isn't like Stuart Elliott getting a win in his first trip on Smarty Jones; Elliott had already been around a long time. But maybe the kid is on a wonder horse with Affirmed like talent, that's what it will take to get him to the winners circle.

nijinski
03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I see him as a complete bet against because of lack of experience...this isn't like Stuart Elliott getting a win in his first trip on Smarty Jones; Elliott had already been around a long time. But maybe the kid is on a wonder horse with Affirmed like talent, that's what it will take to get him to the winners circle.
Makes me think of Ron Franklin.Didn't need to do much on The Bid. Well, until
the Belmont.

Golf and Horses
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't care if he was on Secretariat
I'd still bet Secretariat if Hank Greenberg was riding him!:lol:

Relwob Owner
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Completely agree....may create some value if IWR keeps kicking butt and is favored

Marshall Bennett
03-13-2009, 10:07 PM
If the horse runs his race Joe will be okay , he's learned the trade well enough to bring a " good " horse home .

Golf and Horses
03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd still bet Secretariat if Hank Greenberg was riding him!:lol:
Oops! Meant Hank Goldberg :blush:

Robert Fischer
03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
:)

If I Want Revenge turns out to want 10 furlongs, Talamo may do fine. He seems to get a response from the horse and IWR would probably be in the first or second group of horses out of the gate.

juanepstein
03-14-2009, 02:08 AM
theres one way for sure this horse can lose.

if i bet him.

talamos a pain in my arse. i bet him he loses i dont bet him he beats me.

jballscalls
03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
there is a reason the horse gets 90% of the money. if he's on a live horse, he's probably has just as good of a shot as if a "big money" rider was on him.

Alyblakester
03-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't get the comparison of Talamo and Ronnie Franklin and Spectacular Bid.
First of all I Want Revenge is no Spectacular Bid, but Talamo is pounds better than Ronnie Franklin. How Bud Delp ever trusted Franklin with the Bid was the worst move he ever made as a trainer.

toetoe
03-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Poor Joe. Are you saying you would prefer the "experience" of Jean Luc Samyn or Willie Martinez ? :lol: ... :eek: .

sandpit
03-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Poor Joe. Are you saying you would prefer the "experience" of Jean Luc Samyn or Willie Martinez ? :lol: ... :eek: .

If both Talamo & Samyn were making their first Derby starts, I'd take Samyn. But as far as experience, I meant that Talamo is up against it when he's going to be facing 15-19 other jocks who have ridden the Derby multiple times. That experience is invaluable.

joanied
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd not ever wager on this young man in the Derby. I don't care if he was on Secretariat, I'd still be hard pressed. With experience, only in SoCal, the guy will go into shock when he has to navigate a 20 horse field. Jeremy Rose handled it well riding Afleet Alex to third, I'm not sure Talamo could do the same.

I have to agree with this...I don't like Talamo...I don't think he has a lot of class...which has nada to do with his riding...which I think ain't all that great either...and IF I Want Revenge is a Derby horse...well, like Grits said...can't wait to see him in tight amongst 20 horses...and if I was riding in the Deby...I'd be sure to watch out for this kid...liable to run up on your heels or give ya a good bump :ThmbDown:

Watcher
03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
He's a young kid that's had a taste of success and money, it's no surprise he rubs some people the wrong way with his attitude. As he grows and matures, I'd expect him to calm.

Marshall Bennett
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm not going to take what is taken out of context in producing a reality show with no more than a grain of salt . I'm sure he has some growing up to do , but that aside , he's a better than average rider . Given what " jballscalls " was quoted as saying ( which I agree with ) that the horse is 90% of the net result , I'd put my money on Joe any day if he's on what I beleive to be a strong mount . Hang around a jock's room long enough and you'd likely conclude that many others share an atitude simular to Joe's , they just don't appear on a reality show .

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not going to take what is taken out of context in producing a reality show with no more than a grain of salt . I'm sure he has some growing up to do , but that aside , he's a better than average rider . Given what " jballscalls " was quoted as saying ( which I agree with ) that the horse is 90% of the net result , I'd put my money on Joe any day if he's on what I beleive to be a strong mount . Hang around a jock's room long enough and you'd likely conclude that many others share an atitude simular to Joe's , they just don't appear on a reality show .

I agree with everything you said about how he is on the show and that attitudes like that are common....my biggest concern isnt really his age or experience, just his consistency....I watch him just about every day and as I have said before, he rides one race great and then the next one is a head scratcher.....when you combine that with the lack of experience and the importance of the Derby, I would have serious concerns with him riding my Derby horse.....unfortunately for me, I will probably never have to decide whether to put him on my Derby horse:)

joanied
03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
He's a young kid that's had a taste of success and money, it's no surprise he rubs some people the wrong way with his attitude. As he grows and matures, I'd expect him to calm.

With a taste of success and money, I'd think he could be a bit on the humble side....being young is no excuse for being so high on one's self...especially in this industry...he needs to thank his lucky stars for what he has at such a young age....and be a better person about his success.
Just my HUMBLE opinion:)