PDA

View Full Version : Harness Handicapping Software

Ian Meyers
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Now that I've got a little more free time on my hands, I wanted to take a crack at betting standardbreds again. I haven't done that for a long time, but I got my start with those kind at Roosevelt Raceway many years ago.

Does anyone know of high quality handicapping software like HTR, HSH HOS, J-Capper, etc. that's available for harness racing?

Thanks,
Ian

melman
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Ian--The one and the only harness software that I have heard good things about is by Bob Pandolfo with his Harness Diamond Software. Some members on this board own it. If u would like to discuss stop by the War Room I'm in there now.

Sinner369
03-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Melman:

Take a look at Harness Helper DDCH.................

It calculates the pace fractions for each horse in the up coming race,
the 1st half, middle half, and final half as well as the ability to put different weighting factors for the important race factors........

The website is http://www.intergate.com/~misal/index.html

By the way, I do not have any ownership in the product...........

sinner

headhawg
03-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Take a look at Harness Helper DDCH.................
My brother bought a copy of ths program off of Ebay from the developer. A week later, a new version came out. The guy wanted to charge my brother full price again for this "new" version.

Buy this software at your own risk!

Postime
03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
What's the price?

Sinner369
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
headawg:

Check with your brother in law again.................Please??????

I checked with the developer.......and the Major Upgrade was only $10 for a new downloaded version that contains the new features I mentioned.

sinner

headhawg
03-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I'll check again Sinner. But my brother is a pretty easy going guy and I know that he was pissed off, especially with the return email that he received from the seller that basically said Kiss off - tough sh**.

In all fairness, I will check again just to make sure that I am not having a Senior Moment. But I'm pretty sure that I am remembering correctly.

trying2win
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Now that I've got a little more free time on my hands, I wanted to take a crack at betting standardbreds again. I haven't done that for a long time, but I got my start with those kind at Roosevelt Raceway many years ago.

Does anyone know of high quality handicapping software like HTR, HSH HOS, J-Capper, etc. that's available for harness racing?

Thanks,
Ian

Hello again Ian:

I've tried a few harness software programs over the years that use TRACKMASTER downloadable files...such as:

1. SELECTWIN

2. AMERICAN STANDARDBRED HANDICAPPER

3. HARNESS DIAMOND

4. JOE ZAMBUTO's HARNESS PROGRAM

--The only ones I'd give a passing grade for the harnesss handicapping softwares listed above, are numbers 3 & 4.

--In my experience, THE HARNESS DIAMOND is a very good tool for handicapping one mile ovals like THE MEADOWLANDS and BALMORAL PARK, but not WOODBINE, MOHAWK, or 5/8's or 1/2 mile tracks.

--As for JOE ZAMBUTO'S harness program, in my two month experiment with this software so far, I've had some success using it at the WOODBINE harness races, but not AT THE MEADOWLANDS, BALMORAL PARK or 5/8 or 1/2 mile tracks. Mind you, J.Z.'S program is more flexible than THE HARNESS DIAMOND, in that one can choose different handcapping factor weightings and elimination factors. By changing the handicapping factor weightings, the point totals change for the horses, and a different list of contenders will emerge on your computer screen.

--I plan on doing a lot more back testing on past and current data files, to see what different weightings in the J.Z. program, might possibly be successful at various harness tracks.

--I can send you a sample of some screen shots of THE HARNESS DIAMOND and the J.Z. HARNESS PROGRAM if you wish. Just send me a PM. The price for the J.Z. software is very reasonable compared to some other harness handicapping softwares.

T2W

andicap
03-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I used Harness Diamond for a while and liked it -- although with a few caveats.

Why did I stop using it? Because I didn't have time to concentrate on trotters and t-breds.

Pros: Accurate, great for modeling what's winning at various harness tracks, great customer support from Bob Pandolfo ("Pandy" on the board here) and you know there's a "sharp handicapper" behind the product, not just some software jockey.

Cons: The last pro is also a con because, at least in my version of the program, it wasn't the most elegant piece of software you'll ever see. But that's probably one reason the price is so reasonable. Some tracks it's not quite as accurate probably because the pars are a little off. But I think 90% of his pars are spot on.

To win using Harness Diamond you really have to model the categories and see what wins at various tracks. Fortunately i found harness models to be more consistent in relationis to t-breds. Another reason I think it works better at the larger ovals because you get better prices there overall.

I would highly recommend giving it a try -- and you know you're dealing with a legitimate, honest person in Pandy, whose handicapping articles are available on the U.S. Trotting site. They should be archived there as well.

Pandy used to have (probably still does) a Yahoo board as well and when i asked for help in using the software I got a few friendly responses. Also on this board, he used to post his pars and users would respond if they thought they were off at a few places.

Ray2000
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Ian

If you're interested in an Excel spreadsheet that displays/analyzes Trackmaster Past Performance (*r.exe) files, one can be had at this address:
http://members.localnet.com/~rayschell/ (http://members.localnet.com/~rayschell/) 667 KB Zip file name SulkyPicker.xls (compressed zip)

This is an updated version of the one I discussed here one year ago.
Driver/TrainerPostBias stats, and card loading routine.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44426 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44426)

It will show race details and entries on one sheet and individual past performance lines on another.
It does its "picking" by summing the rank positions in several factors for each entry.
(It's what I use but without the race-call position modeling routines.)

The worksheet "Factors" will generate an odds line based on what factors YOU think are important and how much weight to give to each factor.
The factors are:
Post Position
Driver
Trainer
Trackmaster Speed
Trackmaster Class
Purse
Lasix Change
Days since last race
Win Percent
Win Place Show Percent
Earnings p/s Last 6
Lifetime Mark
Offtrack Performance
Morning Line
Break Factor
Post Bias
Ave Performance Times

I scanned the file with an up todate virus scanner (The Shield) and it's clean.
You will need to enable Macros. You will need MS Office 2003 or newer.
The macros are not password protected so they can be seen by anyone with suspicious eyes.
(I'd have to be pretty stupid to sign my name if it contained any mal-ware.:))
It is set for a 1280x1024 display screen.
You'll have to use Excel's Zoom display if you screen resolution is different.
Any questions I'll try to answer.
I do not have long term performance for this version.
If anyone finds serious errors or are having problems let me know..

Best of all the price....... it's free.. :jump:

beaucap
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Ray,

Having a kinda of problem with the program. Not to familiar with excel. First how do i enable macros?

beaucap
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I found out how to enable macros. when i double click the trackmaster file it gives me an error saying file not ready. i'll click ok and a lot of windows come up with stuff i don't understand. Heeeeelp! thanks

Ray2000
03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Beaucap

after you double click the trackmaster file, there should be 8 files written to that same folder, ending with
xxxx"HR.DBF". Are those files there? (along with the original Trackmaster ..r.exe file)

beaucap
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes Ray there are there.

Ray2000
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
be sure the files end with "HR.DBF" not HP or HB

On sheet "Main" does the file path that is shown under the green load buttom point to that folder?

Try going to the folder with explorer and double clicking the TM file from there
and then try loading the file again from the spread sheet.

I'll PM you with any further help.

I'll post this for others who may have downloaded that spreadsheet.
Track master sells regular and premium data files. My spreadsheet requires the regular, not the Basic or Platinum but the $1.50 card that ends with the extension ..."r.exe"
It does not work with PDF format files. (Adobe reader files)

Some one asked why I have post bias data in the program but don't use the numbers. This was an error on my part and the newest available file has been corrected. The older program was using trackmaster last 30 day bias. the new file uses an average of my 2 year data along with TM biases.

Ray2000
03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I found the problem and it's entirely my fault. I apologize. the corrected file is at

http://members.localnet.com/~rayschell/

Hope I didn't waste too much of your time...:blush:

Ian Meyers
04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks very much to all for their responses. :)

I downloaded Ray's software and am eager to use it. Do I read the TM site correctly? The cost per file is as much as $5 per card and is $2.50 per card for 20 track subscription? That seems a little high but if that's what it is the that's what it is.

Can anyone share their experience on how to weight the factors?

headhawg
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
If you just need the basic PP info and the PP .exe the files are $1.50 each. If you intend to play a decent amount of days/tracks then the unlimited monthly is $39.95 which gives you the PP info in .pdf format plus the .exe files. It's a way better deal.

The more expensive files/subscriptions include info not in the Trackmaster PPs so you would have to judge by the samples whether or not you need that extra information.

Ray2000
04-15-2009, 06:39 AM
I put up another revision of SulkyPicker this morning

at http://members.localnet.com/~rayschell/

which hopefully overcomes the "file not found" error, that a couple of users were experiencing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Overcall
04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice job RAY!

Your spreadsheet whooped all the top h'cappers at the Big M last
night.

Steve Little (Daily News) 4 winners
Brower 3 winner
Pandy 3 winners
Ray2000 5 winners

me :>( 3 winners

Ray2000
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Overcall... Save those factors.:)

I'll take this chance to mention again that the original purpose of this sheet was to produce a better odds line than the morning lines. So on nights when the crowd favorites win a lot (8 races at bigM), the hit rate should be high. I personally went against the favorites that night and crapped out.

The sheet does find bad morning lines like yesterday's 1st and 5th race at Chester. Arts Ragin Jet 10/1 went off at 7/5 .. Andy Roo the longest ML at 15/1 went off 6/5. My sheet had both of them at 2/1 and not "bet worthy" in my opinion. (neither won)

other points concerning the sheet

1. If the Main display shows more than one entry with a lot of "#Ref"'s or "Div/0"'s or Computer speed = 0 then the odds line is pretty much meaningless even for the other entries.

2. The Top Driver's UDR may be different from his listed UDR in the race. One is his 2 year record if available, the other is the TM listed UDR for last 30 days. (Current year?)

3. I'm working on adding a new page showing a model of the race with call positions at the fractions and will post it when available.

trying2win
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Nice job RAY!

Your spreadsheet whooped all the top h'cappers at the Big M last
night.

Steve Little (Daily News) 4 winners
Brower 3 winner
Pandy 3 winners
Ray2000 5 winners

me :>( 3 winners

Ray shines once more with his harness handicapping skills! Good show Ray :ThmbUp:.

T2W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"It's like deja vu all over again."

--Yogi Berra

hcap
04-16-2014, 06:13 PM
I put up another revision of SulkyPicker this morning

at http://members.localnet.com/~rayschell/

which hopefully overcomes the "file not found" error, that a couple of users were experiencing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.Sorry, "file not found" error again.

Ray, I had an older copy I downloaded I think last year. I am fairly new to harness other than typing in info manually from The Sports Eye into Lotus123 over 15 years ago. Recently I found myself wondering about harness races again.

I worked with Ray Baker on the ALLDATA project

http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---instructions.html

I set up much of the VBA to automate "batch programming" and much of the "AllDataBase" program. I used similar code to now do the same in Trackmaster exe files. (actually borrowing a few lines of your code to open the dbf files) and then import them into Excel in sequence, allowing a few hundred at a time to be processed. Unlike TBREDS there does not seem to be a simple solution for importing results. Trackmaster result files are quite expensive. What I wound up doing is going to The Racing Channel and open the archive with a browser and automate copying them into an Exel list(database)which works fairly well, but may I ask what you do to acquire results?

Unfortunately my health is not as good as it used to be, and still have a ways to go before the entire project is completed. I was thinking of offering an open source project at some point providing an Excel platform to query the database. It is possible with pre-2007 Excel, to query up to 60,000 multi-field (20+) records at one time. Without using the newer "power pivot "add-in to Excel 2010--which I have not mastered at all

Thanks Harry

Ray2000
04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
hcap

When I originally posted to this thread, I don't think the version of Silkypicker.xls had a means to import results. (Can't remember now but it's moot because those old download links won't work anyway)

The version I uploaded today to that file sharing site.... http://ge.tt/5FkJ76b1/v/0?c

does have a macro to pull in the results from TRC on sheet "PLAYLIST".

The macro code isn't hidden or protected so you can see the approach I took. Getting the track codes involves a lot of trial and error.

Module 4..... Sub GetResultTRC() in the macro editor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

hcap
04-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks Ray, I am fooling around with it now.

My goal would be to build a database of results entering a range of dates
doing one track over one time period.

I mentioned I created a separate program that required the user to open one card at a time manually by browser, and copy all race results into an Excel sheet. (cleaning up and error checking unusual and unexpected text placements in Excel) I wound up with an output formatted very close to your format. The major difference only being an unique race ID and Race/Horse name ID, sol I could link results and one complied data line per horse. Info for winners and losers could then be queried.

Postime
04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks Ray, I am fooling around with it now.

My goal would be to build a database of results entering a range of dates
doing one track over one time period.

I mentioned I created a separate program that required the user to open one card at a time manually by browser, and copy all race results into an Excel sheet. (cleaning up and error checking unusual and unexpected text placements in Excel) I wound up with an output formatted very close to your format. The major difference only being an unique race ID and Race/Horse name ID, sol I could link results and one complied data line per horse. Info for winners and losers could then be queried.

Please share when completed.

hcap
04-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Ray, you code helped quite a bit. Thanks
The URL was throwing me off. The repeating segment at the end was confusing. "YON120120.HTM"

URL;http://www.racingchannel.com/archives/YON/2012/01//YON120120.HTM

I already had corresponding abbreviations between the Racing Channel and Trackmaster. If any one wants I have an excel sheet where you can click the hyperrlink root directory for each Racing Channel harness track. Click on the code....for instance "BAL/" will take you too Balmoral Park tracks parent directory. You can navigate to each year and month and date listed

RaCh... TRMaster Track
BAL/ BML Balmoral Park
BAN/ BAN Bangor Raceway
BAV/ BTV Batavia Downs
BUF/ BRX Buffalo Raceway
CEX/ CAL Cal Expo
CHD/ PHL Chester Downs
DOV/ DDX Dover Downs
FHD/ FHL Freehold Raceway
FRD/ FRD Fraser Downs
GEO/ GEO Georgian Downs
GRR/ GRV Grand River Raceway
HAR/ HAR Harrington Raceway
HDM/ HMX Hippodrome de Montreal
HOO/ HOP Hoosier Park
HPX/ HPX Hazel Park
IND/ INY Indiana Downs
MAY/ MAY Maywood Park
MDL/ MXX The Meadowlands
MEA/ MEA The Meadows
MNC/ MRX Monticello Raceway
MOH/ MOH Mohawk Raceway
NLP/ NPX Northlands Park
NOR/ NFL Northfield Park
OCD/ ODX Ocean Downs
POC/ PCD Pocono Downs
POM/ PPK Pompano Park
PRG/ PRC Plainridge Raceway
PRM/ PRM Prairie Meadows
RED/ LEX The Red Mile
RID/ RID Rideau Carleton
ROC/ ROK Rockingham Park
ROS/ RCR Rosecroft Raceway
SCB/ SCA Scarborough Downs
SCI/ SCD Scioto Downs
SGH/ STG Saratoga Harness
TIG/ TGD Tioga Downs
VER/ VDX Vernon Downs
WBH/ WDB Woodbine Harness
WIN/ WRX Windsor Raceway
YON/ YRX Yonkers Raceway

Ray2000
04-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Thx hcap, very helpful.

You have a couple of tracks I never could find. :)

Also
Hazel Park is an oddball, HAZ and HPX both work befor this year, it's HAZ now.

Some others
ACES....RUN
CNL.....COL
FLMD....FLM
NOR.....NVL
RP......RWP
SPCK....SPC

Saratoga Harness Matine..... SG1
LON...WEF DISCONTINUED MAY 09, can't find new symbol