PDA

View Full Version : Best tracks to visit for a vacation...

Force of One
03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Hello all,

Wanted to throw a poll out there:

What would you say are the top 3 tracks to visit - not named Saratoga and Del Mar- as a travel destination? In other words, tracks that are worth going a distance to visit, be it for quality of racing, surrounding area, history, whatever qualifications you want to use. Maybe you could specifiy your reasons. Thanks to anyone who participates. Just looking for ideas for a posible trip.

Jim the Tolerable
03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I love Keeneland. Just the drive in takes you past farms you've read about. The KY Horse Park is also very close. Why not go see Cigar, Alysheba and others?
Keeneland, by a wide margin.

Watcher
03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Should visit Hollywood Park before it's closed... not the most pristine track around but the Turf Club is a great place to hang out, quick elevator ride down to the paddock. However, I always love watching the races from track level... the bettors and fans get into the cheering and yelling, it's great fun.

Bubba X
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Keeneland, Arlington, Fairgrounds.

rrbauer
03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello all,

What would you say are the top 3 tracks to visit - not named Saratoga and Del Mar- as a travel destination? In other words, tracks that are worth going a distance to visit, be it for quality of racing, surrounding area, history, whatever qualifications you want to use. Maybe you could specifiy your reasons. Thanks to anyone who participates. Just looking for ideas for a posible trip.

Where do you live? What tracks have you been to?

miesque
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Should visit Hollywood Park before it's closed... not the most pristine track around but the Turf Club is a great place to hang out, quick elevator ride down to the paddock. However, I always love watching the races from track level... the bettors and fans get into the cheering and yelling, it's great fun.

I agree, I love hanging out in the Turf Club at Hollywood Park and always have a great time when I visit and I try to make at least two trips a year out there. Its not as beautiful as Del Mar or Santa Anita but its pleasant with the palm trees, flamingos and of course the "lakes and flowers." There is also a lot of neat history at that track so its a good place to visit at some point before it becomes a pile of rubble. One nice thing is that HP is by LAX so even though I am located in the Mid-Atlantic, its an easy place to get to usually at a reasonable air fare since its such a big hub and you don't need a rent a car if you don't want, just airport hotel and then taxi or have someone you know pick you up on the way to the track. Santa Anita is a nice destination track but its more expensive and inconvenient if you are coming in from the East Coast since almost have to fly to LAX and its a good 45 miles through LA traffic to get to Santa Anita.

I think Arlington Park is a track that everyone should experience at least once, its how a racetrack should be run. You will not find a more immaculate racetrack in North America not to mention the top notch customer service. Of all the tracks I have attended Arlington Park towers over the remainder in terms of customer service and attention to detail.

I have not yet been to Keeneland so I am really looking forward to my trip there next month to see how it stacks up in all categories.

Oh, if you are on a budget and live in the Mid-Atlantic and just want a quick day trip or a one night stay sort of trip, I recommend dropping by Delaware Park and its close to I-95 so its convenient. It has a beautiful paddock with all the old trees (reminiscent of Saratoga) and the Christiana Hilton right by has an Estate like feel to it and it even has a feeding of the Royal Swans every day in the early evening (if you are into that).

Wickel
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
One of the coolest tracks I visited in recent years was Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It had far and away the best simulcasting facility--rivaled and was better than most Vegas racebooks. Plus, there's plenty of nightlife in Big D and Fort Worth. My only concern would be that I read on this forum not too far back that the track had suffered under Magna. Maybe someone else could chime in on this.

Force of One
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I live in the Mid Atlantic, near Philadelphia. I very much agree that Delaware Park is a nice track to visit, for someone relatively local. Have been to a fair amount. Not including all those that are within a 3 hour drive to Philly (Monmouth, Belmont, Meadowlands, Philly Park, Delaware Park, Pimlico, Laurel, Atlantic City, Penn National), have been to the 3 big SoCal tracks, Saratoga, Churchill, Keenland (not while racing though, during Derby time), Fair Grounds.

Keenland is definitely a contender to return to for some live racing, and from the response, Arlington sounds like I'll need to check it out. A couple I was curious to see if they would be mentioned were Woodbine and Gulfstream. Thanks for the input guys.

headhawg
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Arlington Park is a really beautiful facility. Illinois horse racing is not the best, but let's just say that the "scenery" there is very ez on the eyes.

Plus, there's plenty of things to do in Chicago and the surrounding areas, and plenty of great food joints as well.

judd
03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
GULFSTREAM IS PRETTY NICE
MOUNTAINEER IS DUMPY

DeanT
03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Wil Rogers Downs. Only place I can ever get a winner.

W2G
03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I live in the Mid Atlantic, near Philadelphia. I very much agree that Delaware Park is a nice track to visit, for someone relatively local. Have been to a fair amount. Not including all those that are within a 3 hour drive to Philly (Monmouth, Belmont, Meadowlands, Philly Park, Delaware Park, Pimlico, Laurel, Atlantic City, Penn National), have been to the 3 big SoCal tracks, Saratoga, Churchill, Keenland (not while racing though, during Derby time), Fair Grounds.

Keenland is definitely a contender to return to for some live racing, and from the response, Arlington sounds like I'll need to check it out. A couple I was curious to see if they would be mentioned were Woodbine and Gulfstream. Thanks for the input guys.

You've done quite well I would say. Keeneland for sure is one to ad to your list. Although I've not been, Oaklawn has always struck me as a great destination track. Not the easiest to get to though. Wonder what others think.

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
A day at beautiful Belmont Park is a real experience especially the back yard in summer or fall.

point given
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Depends what you like in a track really. To me Tampa Bay is a nice horse player friendly track during the winter. Gulfstream has too much attitude for me, and I loved the old gulfstream. During the summer, I'd prefer Monmouth to Delaware on a weekend trip . You will find few people outside watching races at Delaware, but on a nice shore weekend Monmouth is an enjoyable fan friendly place. I was going to suggest Woodbine, but havenot been there and usually it seems pretty empty when i watch. Keeneland is a must for me too, but since they put in polycrap, the desire has waned.

DrugS
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Beulah Park

BillW
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Beulah Park

Better than Presque Isle? :eek:

Grits
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Hands down, Keeneland. Having had a home in Lexington and attending the Fall and Spring meets for several years, I still go back. The racing experience is a fine one. And if you call ahead you will easily be able to get grandstand seats for your visit. If you want clubhouse or one of the clubhouse dining rooms, etc. be sure to bring a jacket and tie, as noted in an earlier thread, they are very strict about dining room and clubhouse dress. Equestrian dining room downstairs on the first floor, though, will not require a jacket.

There's plenty to do, as others have indicated in posts above. As you know, central Kentucky IS all horses, farms, etc, etc. Too, for a different treat, visit the Labrot & Graham Distillery where Woodford Reserve is made. Its in nearby Versailles back behind Pin Oak Stud. Beautiful land, and a small facility, they make one of the finest bourbons in the world. Lunch on the deck is nice on a pretty day. Several other bourbon distillers are in the area as well including Maker's Mark.

Sorry, but no, they don't give away free samples. lol

Too, in choosing Keeneland, you are only an hour east of Louisville--and a stone's throw from Churchill. Interstate 64 West will take you straight into the city from Lexington, and on to Churchill. If Keeneland is running, Churchill opens on the heels of each Keeneland meet. But even if Churchill isn't running, traveling there is worth the trip for the Derby Museum. Matter of fact, traveling for the sole purpose of going into the museum to view the Derby Day film in the round with Dolby surround sound and Wayne Lukas' narration--alone--is worth the hour's drive west to Louisville. Not any horse farm, not any trip to the Kentucky HorsePark, not anything outside of live racing at Keeneland, nothing will grab you like this film. The Dolby sound and the excitement of it will give you chills unlike anything in the sport. Even the most hardened, crusty, old, longtime players and fans have stated so.

There is great history at both tracks, and with seven days you have the opportunity to spend some time at both, while seeing a region of the country that is truly unlike any other. Truly unique.

Hello all,

chickenhead
03-11-2009, 08:17 PM
when I was just a wee infant...before they bothered to even clean me off....still pink and screaming and confused....my father bent down, and whispered in my ear...."Southern California is the devil!"

I mention that only so you know I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't true ...all 3 SoCal tracks are worth travelling to.

JustRalph
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Beulah Park

What is it you like so much? The rendering plant just up-wind on I-71 or the landfill just east? You know, the one they built the golf course on..........the one where methane seeps up through the greens............. :lol:

cnollfan
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Oaklawn on a sunny Saturday. It's fun to be at a track that is full of people actually enjoying the races.

Columbus, Nebraska. The stands are practically on top of the track and it's a fun and festive atmosphere. Not good if you are planning to bet more than $1 exotics or $10 straight, or if you want to see fast horses.

miesque
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Even though its not a destination track, since you are in the Mid-Atlantic you should check out Colonial Downs at least once. Its close to Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, as well as Busch Gardens. Of particular note if you are more budget minded, if you go on a day like Colonial Turf Cup day you can see some pretty decent turf racing and they have a microbrew festival and their seating rates are the unchanged versus Virginia Derby Day where they significantly hike up the rates. I purchased my Turf Club and Jockey Club tables for Colonial Turf Cup Day and Virginia Derby Day last week and the premium spots were going pretty quickly (just to give the heads up for anyone thinking of attending those days).

samyn on the green
03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
My first choice would be Keeneland. (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2008/10/keeneland-trip-report.html) Second choice is Saratoga which is a whole town set up for racing tourists. Third choice is Belmont on Belmont stakes week.

OTM Al
03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Even though its not a destination track, since you are in the Mid-Atlantic you should check out Colonial Downs at least once. Its close to Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, as well as Busch Gardens. Of particular note if you are more budget minded, if you go on a day like Colonial Turf Cup day you can see some pretty decent turf racing and they have a microbrew festival and their seating rates are the unchanged versus Virginia Derby Day where they significantly hike up the rates. I purchased my Turf Club and Jockey Club tables for Colonial Turf Cup Day and Virginia Derby Day last week and the premium spots were going pretty quickly (just to give the heads up for anyone thinking of attending those days).

Beat me to it as I was going to say exactly this. Went to Turf Cup day last year and it was great. Williamsburg is a bit pricy, but I wasn't disappointed.. I stayed in Richmond and ran up to a Nats game while I was there too. A good vacation spot to be sure, especially if you like some southern eats.

Grits
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
For consideration too on Colonial.

You'll be comfortable inside, but if you plan to be outside, make sure you take sunscreen, cap or hat, and sunglasses because there's not a tree in sight once you walk through the turnstyles. There are not even very many out front, in the parking areas.

Tent areas with covered seating are only available on their biggest racing days. Unless something has been erected recently, and of course, this is possible. A folding chair, carried in, is nice if you're not inside, upstairs.

Living in the Mid Atlantic, I know you're aware how hot, Virginia, only a few miles inland, can be from Spring . . . on through summer. The air at Colonial can be dead still, temperatures in the 80s to 90s, with humidity close behind.

cosmo96
03-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I love Churchill and Keenland, but they are local. The top three that I have traveled to are: Saratoga, Suffolk, Hoosier Park. I grew up in the Cincinnati area, and River Downs is my home track. I know the quality of horses are not that good. But, the memories are great. I would hate to lose it. Everyone from Ohio should write to Governor Strickland, and ask that he not be so rigid against slots at Ohio tracks. A racetrack is a terrible thing to waste.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, if both Del Mar and Saratoga are excluded, then Keeneland remains all alone through default. The best planned vacation might include the closing weekend of Keeneland's Spring meeting, a few days touring the Lexington/Versailles farms & the Kentucky Horse Park, and then on to Louisville for some golf at Valhalla and a little gathering they have there on the first Saturday in May, and the celebration leading up to it.

Maybe once before I die.

Imriledup
03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
How about Golden Gate? Anyone familiar with that track and surrounding areas?

boomman
03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
There have been some great ones mentioned on this thread, but let me give you all one that might come as a surprise: Fort Tuthill Downs in Flagstaff, Arizona (and NO, I'm not kidding, LOL;) ) They race 4 days over the 4th of July holiday each year, and the 5/8 oval is literally surrounded by beautiful pines on all sides, the food is great on the grill and the beer is cold!:ThmbUp: Even though I used to work near there and had that week off when the horses headed North, it wasn't until a few years ago that I finally checked it out and it was AWESOME! The weather is fantastic in Flag during that time of the year, too! :ThmbUp:

Boomer

speldedo
03-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Boomman,

I couldn't agree more! I used to go to school at NAU and would ride my bike out to Fort Tuthill. Always had a great time, and you can make money as the locals aren't known for their handicapping skills.

Watcher
03-12-2009, 12:46 AM
One of the coolest tracks I visited in recent years was Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It had far and away the best simulcasting facility--rivaled and was better than most Vegas racebooks. Plus, there's plenty of nightlife in Big D and Fort Worth. My only concern would be that I read on this forum not too far back that the track had suffered under Magna. Maybe someone else could chime in on this.

I'm currently located in Dallas and always enjoy my time out at Lone Star Park. It's a gorgeous facility, even if it's not back dropped by the San Gabriel Mountains, the Pacific Ocean, or the rolling bluegrass fields.

However, the quality of horses and races are not as high as other major tracks. You'll see a lot of $2,500 claimings. Leave your check book at home if you're going to drink, you might end up accidentally buying a horse!

ALostTexan
03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Rillito Park. Tucson is actually really nice during January and February, and not many tracks where you can hang out with 9,000-10,000 fans...

ALostTexan
03-12-2009, 01:45 AM
There have been some great ones mentioned on this thread, but let me give you all one that might come as a surprise: Fort Tuthill Downs in Flagstaff, Arizona (and NO, I'm not kidding, LOL;) ) They race 4 days over the 4th of July holiday each year, and the 5/8 oval is literally surrounded by beautiful pines on all sides, the food is great on the grill and the beer is cold!:ThmbUp: Even though I used to work near there and had that week off when the horses headed North, it wasn't until a few years ago that I finally checked it out and it was AWESOME! The weather is fantastic in Flag during that time of the year, too! :ThmbUp:

Boomer

I completely agree. The Flag meet is great. I love the track - up in the woods. And can't agree more with the weather. Great vacation track with Sedona right down the road, too...

DeanT
03-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Delaware Ohio. Second week of September.

http://www.ustrotting.com/misc/jug/2008/images/18_finish_shadowplay.jpg

Whoops wrong board. OK, I am sticking with Wil Rogers Downs.

BillW
03-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Delaware Ohio. Second week of September.

The Melodious voice of Roger Huston (melman's favorite!)

dav4463
03-12-2009, 03:02 AM

It looks like a ghetto now. Half the TV's are broken. It's dirty. People are rude, except for the race information guy in the simulcast facility. He's cool !

They have a Star Player Rewards club that used to give out $15 or $20 of free bets every so often as a promotion. Now all they give is a free cup of coffee or a hot dog when you amass 10,000 points! It takes about three months to earn a hot dog!

They don't charge for parking anymore, but they added a dollar to the admission. Star players now have to pay $2 to get in and they act like they are doing you a favor with free parking!.....do the math......4 Star Players ride together....It used to cost $1 to park and $1 to get in. Now it's free to park and $2 to get in so the track makes $8 instead of $5....yeah, thanks for the free parking! So now they make more money and save money by firing all the parking attendants. You can't tell they are making more money though. The place is still dirty as ever. They have the same furniture on the patio since day one!

On the plus side, the Party at the Park on Friday nights is awesome! Lots of scantily-clad beautiful women wandering about and they also offer $1 beer if you are into that sort of thing! The actual track and building is beautiful though. It is easy to go from the track to the paddock and back again. If you choose to go upstairs to the suites; it's not bad at all. I do have fun at Lone Star, but I know the place could be so much better. (like it was the first four or five years)

Just don't drive too far off the main road on your way home though or you will enter "gangland"! If you can successfully escape Grand Prairie and Irving and make it to Coppell or Arlington, then you should be OK! If your car breaks down or something just outside the track though, you will encounter quite a few gang members and risk being a star on First 48!

cj's dad
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
If you work your schedule just right you can catch Pimlico, Colonial Downs, Laurel Park and Timonium in a round robin sort of vacation.

Pimlico, and the surrounding area, in the spring is a joy to behold !!

Nacumi
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I'll second Wickel: here in the MidAtlantic, we're very lucky to have such a great spot as Delaware Park. I think it's a nicer paddock than the Spaaaaa, myself. Too bad the fields (other than turf races) are so short most of the time. Monmouth is nice, but hard to get in and out on a weekend.
Forget the PHA, especially now. The anti-horseplayer track.
Colonial can be a lot of fun on a cooler day, but good luck trying to get one during the thoroughbred meet. You're never more than 50 feet from a bar, food, a window or a bathroom. Very fan friendly.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if you're north of the border, Woodbine is pretty spectacular.
Aside from the history, Pimlico's a dump in a wretched neighborhood. Churchill, not much better. Keeneland looks like an ivy league prep school campus. Gorgeous.
And of course, there was always the late, great Hialeah. My favorite track ever. :bang:

Tampa Russ
03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Just got back from SoCal and managed to make it to Santa Anita for one day, my first visit. What an amazing setting. TV does not do it justice. Yes, the racing is lacking, but to see the horses come down the hill on the turf..wow!

Keeneland - always love the place, and to be able to walk around the barn area in the morning and visit the track kitchen, hard to beat.

Timonium - my favorite forgotten place. The fair atmosphere is a blast..from the past.

DEL and MTH - Love them too, and BEL is always a good time.

W2G
03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I grew up in the Cincinnati area, and River Downs is my home track. I know the quality of horses are not that good. But, the memories are great. I would hate to lose it. Everyone from Ohio should write to Governor Strickland, and ask that he not be so rigid against slots at Ohio tracks. A racetrack is a terrible thing to waste.

River Downs is a diamond in the rough as far as small tracks go. Gorgeous little spot on the Ohio river with Kentucky hills as a backdrop. Comfortable, open-air grandstand and an intimate racing experience all around. It would be very sad to see it go.

eastie
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Suffolk Downs....you can watch the swans bully the Canadian Geese between races on the infield pond.
You can curse and shake your fist at the 4:00 air france jumbo jet that ambles in over the track before the feature.
There are still 10 percenters within earshot, in case you make a score. You can yell at the jockeys, and they can yell back. It's a 10 minute ride from the airport to the track on the subway. After the track it's only 5 minutes to Santarpio's in one direction and Kelly's Roast Beef on Revere beach in the other. The amount of colorful characters keeps growing and growing. Never a dull moment. C'mon Down !

bitter
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll second Wickel: here in the MidAtlantic, we're very lucky to have such a great spot as Delaware Park. I think it's a nicer paddock than the Spaaaaa, myself. Too bad the fields (other than turf races) are so short most of the time. Monmouth is nice, but hard to get in and out on a weekend.
Forget the PHA, especially now. The anti-horseplayer track.
Colonial can be a lot of fun on a cooler day, but good luck trying to get one during the thoroughbred meet. You're never more than 50 feet from a bar, food, a window or a bathroom. Very fan friendly.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if you're north of the border, Woodbine is pretty spectacular.
Aside from the history, Pimlico's a dump in a wretched neighborhood. Churchill, not much better. Keeneland looks like an ivy league prep school campus. Gorgeous.
And of course, there was always the late, great Hialeah. My favorite track ever. :bang:

always wanted to go there.... never have gotten the chance though, a little t-breds and trotters

boomman
03-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Just got back from SoCal and managed to make it to Santa Anita for one day, my first visit. What an amazing setting. TV does not do it justice. Yes, the racing is lacking, but to see the horses come down the hill on the turf..wow!

Keeneland - always love the place, and to be able to walk around the barn area in the morning and visit the track kitchen, hard to beat.

Timonium - my favorite forgotten place. The fair atmosphere is a blast..from the past.

DEL and MTH - Love them too, and BEL is always a good time.

Russ: Just spent a week at Santa Anita, and although I lived in So Cal for 16 years, I hadn't been to "The Great Race Place" in over 10 years. The setting and weather was absolutely stunning! Now all they need to do is eliminate those 7 horse fields.........;)

Boomer

DSB
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Monmouth Park in June is worth experiencing.

The weather is nice, the paddock area is picturesque, and the racing is good.

On a visit to the grandstand one will encounter the "Gallery of Champions", banners containing the names of great horses which have competed at Monmouth over the years.

The banners are in the colors of the owner and hang from posts overhead. Quite a sight and a nice walk down memory lane.

Some of Jersey's great beaches are a short drive away, and there is no shortage of good eating and drinking places within minutes of the track.

W2G
03-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Suffolk Downs....you can watch the swans bully the Canadian Geese between races on the infield pond.
You can curse and shake your fist at the 4:00 air france jumbo jet that ambles in over the track before the feature.
There are still 10 percenters within earshot, in case you make a score. You can yell at the jockeys, and they can yell back. It's a 10 minute ride from the airport to the track on the subway. After the track it's only 5 minutes to Santarpio's in one direction and Kelly's Roast Beef on Revere beach in the other. The amount of colorful characters keeps growing and growing. Never a dull moment. C'mon Down !

My first time visiting Suffolk I was struck by the size of the facility. Not what one expects for a track that's barely on the radar anymore. I can only imagine what the crowds were like "back in the day".

miesque
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Every year I incorporate at least two tracks I have never been to into my racetrack travel schedule and Woodbine is one of the new tracks on my list this year for Canadian International weekend (which incidentially will also mark my first trip to Canada). I love turf racing and I have always appreciated the fact that Woodbine has the turf course as the largest of its ovals and at a mile and a half and I imagine its something in person as it looks impressive on TV.

cosmo96
03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I know Beulah leaves alot to be desired, but it is very historic. It's the oldest racetrack in Ohio. It had it's glory days. Bing Crosby often went there. When I was a child my mother used to take me there. I would hate to lose it. All Ohio race fans should write to Governor Strickland, and ask for his support of slots at the tracks. It looks that this is the only way Ohio tracks can survive. I never met a racetrack that I didn't like. Also, their is no such thing as a bad racetrack.

onefast99
03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Im shocked no one has mentioned Atlantic City. The turf meet is pretty good, the building holds a lot of history, the meet is similar to a fair type meet with all turf races. There is a decent simulcast room(open year round) but the meet only goes in April for a few days and then again in May.

Bobzilla
03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
For myself you can't beat the ambience of Aqueduct in the dead of winter. But putting aside the obvious, I did enjoy some nice evenings at Colonial Downs last summer while my girlfriend and her son and son's friend were living it up on the Griffin rollercoaster at Six Flags down the road in colonial Williamsburg. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to avoid the Griffin, I felt nauseous just looking at it.

DeanT
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Every year I incorporate at least two tracks I have never been to into my racetrack travel schedule and Woodbine is one of the new tracks on my list this year for Canadian International weekend (which incidentially will also mark my first trip to Canada).
Never been to Canada? Wow, people who have never been to Canada think Toronto is in the central time zone.:)

I dont know if anyone here has been there, but going to the third floor and watching the turf races from the balcony is a site these eyes have never seen before. That is stunning stuff (imo).

onefast99
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Never been to Canada? Wow, people who have never been to Canada think Toronto is in the central time zone.:)

I dont know if anyone here has been there, but going to the third floor and watching the turf races from the balcony is a site these eyes have never seen before. That is stunning stuff (imo).
The people at Woodbine treated us like Kings. Excellent buffet.

miesque
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
For myself you can't beat the ambience of Aqueduct in the dead of winter. But putting aside the obvious, I did enjoy some nice evenings at Colonial Downs last summer while my girlfriend and her son and son's friend were living it up on the Griffin rollercoaster at Six Flags down the road in colonial Williamsburg. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to avoid the Griffin, I felt nauseous just looking at it.

While it does have an admittedly unique ambiece, I was at Aqueduct back in January when it was snowing and the prevailing comment that kept running through my head was "I can't believe I cancelled my trip to Tampa Bay Downs to come here instead" :confused:

MickJ26
03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Belmont, Belmont, Belmont.

If Saratoga is the Fenway Park of horse racing, then Belmont is the Yankee Stadium. Almost every legend in horse racing history has roared around that turn. You can almost imagine Secretariat moving like a tremendous machine.

Bobzilla
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
While it does have an admittedly unique ambiece, I was at Aqueduct back in January when it was snowing and the prevailing comment that kept running through my head was "I can't believe I cancelled my trip to Tampa Bay Downs to come here instead" :confused:

I've always wanted to make a visit to Tampa Bay Downs myself.

While at the Big A this past January did you have an opportunity to make your way over to the West Indies Cuisine stand? They have a mean Goat Curry Stew.

miesque
03-12-2009, 01:18 PM

While at the Big A this past January did you have an opportunity to make your way over to the West Indies Cuisine stand? They have a mean Goat Curry Stew.

No, that was mostly likely better then what I had when I there. I was up in the Equestris Dining Room where its Buffet only but despite being $30 (plus tax gratuities and seating fees) the Buffet had very limited options none of which was very appealing to me and in the end the only thing I ended up consuming was two and a half mediocre dry crab cakes, a bite of something that was supposed to something BBQ and a bottle of Moet & Chandon White Star (at least this time it didn't take an hour to arrive at my table so it was an improvement over my last visit).

Si2see
03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Colonial downs is my hometown track being from richmond... I think it is a very nice facility and friendly people, very fun to go after work friday night's and listen to all of the intoxicated people having a good time in the turf club:lol: . The best part about it though is the field sizes and grass races from 5k claimers - graded stakes.
The two tracks on my list to visit next would be Keeneland and Santa anita being they are my two of my three favorite tracks to play. Jason

OTM Al
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM

The Brown Chicken is pretty darned good too!

OTM Al
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
No, that was mostly likely better then what I had when I there. I was up in the Equestris Dining Room where its Buffet only but despite being $30 (plus tax gratuities and seating fees) the Buffet had very limited options none of which was very appealing to me and in the end the only thing I ended up consuming was two and a half mediocre dry crab cakes, a bite of something that was supposed to something BBQ and a bottle of Moet & Chandon White Star (at least this time it didn't take an hour to arrive at my table so it was an improvement over my last visit).

I used to sit up there all the time, but don't anymore since they went buffet only on the weekends. The few times I did go after the change the buffet was fine, but I don't eat a lot, so buffets tend to be a waste of money for me. As far as view and comfort go though, it's a great spot. I believe it is actually the largest dining room in NYC, or at least that is what I've been told.

Force of One
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I agree, Atlantic City is a fun meet. I try to hit it every year, being somewhat local. Sadly, the condition of the track has seen better days, and the next BC Turf winner is probably not coming through there, but it has great history and alot of memories for me personally. If anybody finds themself in Atlantic City during the spring, it's worth the 15 minute drive to check it out for sure.

Some great suggestions guys...I have defintely put a few of them on my list. And I know someone mentioned Hialeah - always wanted to check that out. Is it just closed or has it been totally razed?

Nacumi
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Hialeah's been closed since 2001. The barns are gone, but the flamingos and ghosts remain. :confused:
I love Atlantic City's turf course, but little else about the place. Breaks my heart that Greenwood has sucked the life out of there, too, only to keep their OTB license. With a barn full of turf horses, it's a wonderful place to prep for the season, but the money stinks and the inmates run the asylum.
You see trainers who haven't won in ages win races at AC. Wonder why?

rrbauer
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Tampa Bay and if you go from end of Feb to end of Mar you can catch a Phillies game or two in Clearwater. If you're down there next Jan PM me. I'll be there all month.

Hollywood Park is fun on Friday nights but I like the outside clubhouse dining as well as the turf club. See Jimmy the maitre de for a table. (Same kitchen, BTW)

dav4463
03-12-2009, 11:13 PM
The first track I ever went to was Trinity Meadows. Anybody remember that one?

boomman
03-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Yep old qh non-parimutuel track that ran the 1st pari-mutuel races in the DFW area after legalization. Roger Heinzman was the announcer there...7.5 furlong oval if I remember right and an old stakes horse Breezin Lad was buried there in the infield.......;)

Boomer

dav4463
03-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Yep old qh non-parimutuel track that ran the 1st pari-mutuel races in the DFW area after legalization. Roger Heinzman was the announcer there...7.5 furlong oval if I remember right and an old stakes horse Breezin Lad was buried there in the infield.......;)

Boomer

They ran thoroughbreds too. I remember one race where the top Beyer horse had run a 3 and everybody else had zeroes in all their races except for one horse who once ran an 18!....One of the zeroes won the race!

It was fun though. I remember the jockeys that were pretty good there.....Kevin Cogburn, Rita Helton, Bo White.......it was a nice country atmosphere and much friendlier than Lone Star Park.

NTamm1215
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM

I have very fond memories of this racetrack. It was my "home track" growing up and it was truly the first track in Texas.

Breezin Lad is buried in the infield and it was actually six furlongs around with a six furlong chute. The first Texas Champions Day was held in 1992 and then Gov. Ann Richards was honored with a celebration, even though she had nothing to do with bringing pari-mutuel wagering to TX. Now seventeen years later it's unclear how long we will have it.

NT

schweitz
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I live about 5 miles from the old Trinity Meadows track. It was the reason that I live where I do now. Just visited the property Tuesday. Sure brings back memories. It has "Squaw Creek Downs" painted on the front of the building now as it was sold many years ago with the hope of becoming a racetrack/OTB again but was just used as a training track. It may still be used as a training track as I noticed that the track is weed free and there is some activity in the barn area.

Tread
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Just for frame of reference, I cut my teeth at River Downs and Turfway for years but now live near Beulah (and it should be buldozed to the ground). I have been to races at Churchill, Keeneland, Arlington, Gulfstream, Belmont, Hoosier, FairGrounds, LoneStar, Turf Paradise, DelMar, and Santa Anita.

Hoosier and TP not withstanding, I have very little negative to say about any of them, but if I had to pick 3 and DelMar doesnt count, it would have to be Keenalnd, Santa Anita, and Arlington for many of the same reasons already mentioned here. I really enjoy visiting the Fair Grounds as well, but even more so for the food down there than the racing.

Regarding slots in Ohio, if the only thing that can save Ohio racing is slots, then it needs to die. Slots revenue could be used to save ANY dying industry and there is not a single piece of logic you can use to state why the horse racing industry would deserve being saved vs. something like auto makers or steel producers. Just because other states have done it doesn't mean it is right.

I too would hate to see River Downs go, but would not shed a tear at all for the owners of Beulah who havent put a dollar into the place in over 50 years and still have some jerk collecting a dollar from you just to get into the parking lot on live racing days. I'm sure that 75 dollars of revenue is doing them a lot of good.

Sundown
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
"The best planned vacation might include the closing weekend of Keeneland's Spring meeting, a few days touring the Lexington/Versailles farms & the Kentucky Horse Park, and then on to Louisville for some golf at Valhalla and a little gathering they have there on the first Saturday in May, and the celebration leading up to it."

Generally the Rolex 3 day is in town that week too at the Horse Park. This year's is Keenland closing weekend.

The Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, set to return to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY, April 23-26

Been one of those we've been trying to hit for a few years, Keeneland, Boubon, 3-day.

onefast99
03-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Hialeah's been closed since 2001. The barns are gone, but the flamingos and ghosts remain. :confused:
I love Atlantic City's turf course, but little else about the place. Breaks my heart that Greenwood has sucked the life out of there, too, only to keep their OTB license. With a barn full of turf horses, it's a wonderful place to prep for the season, but the money stinks and the inmates run the asylum.
You see trainers who haven't won in ages win races at AC. Wonder why?
That is very true, you always get a $60 horse from a guy who had his NJ bred at the farm since November. AC is a short fun meet. I cant see anymore days being added the place is falling apart.

PollardsVision
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
i've only been to 5 different tracks, but for me, i'd say santa anita followed by keeneland.

santa anita is just beautiful with the mountains in the background and keeneland is great too, especially with all of the great surrounding "horse" country.

BlueShoe
03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
A few of you have mentioned small seldom noticed tracks that are remembered fondly,so will suggest one that this poster visited some years ago;Ferndale.Far from any large cities on Californias north coast,this little half miler runs during the Humboldt County fair for 9 or 10 days in August.Horses that have been running poorly at the bottom levels on the California fair circuit have a chance to grab a purse here.Mules and Arabians also race.Something about a little country fair far from the big city,and a tiny track with very cheap horses that somehow is quite charming and appealing.Not for serious wagering,but for a fun day at the fair.

thespaah
03-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Hello all,

I may get nailed on this but if one appreciates American History, Colonial times in particular ,then Colonial downs in New Kent ,VA is a good place to go. Colonial Williamsburg is nearby.
The track itself is a nice place. The racing is good. Mostly turf races are carded. Virginia Derby Day in mid July is the track's featured race date.
There are serveral good golf courses in the area as well. Including one in a stone's throw from Colonial Downs.
One drawback can be the heat. Mid July in the VA Tidewater region can be brutally hot. But I would not let that stop me from going.
The track is just off I-64 in New Kent County. Lodging is readily available

miesque
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Well I am off for a day trip to a track which nobody will mistake for a destination track, Charles Town. But at the very least there is a parking garage which is nice since it happens to be raining outside so I don't have to worry about getting wet and their buffet up in the dining room is usually at least moderately decent for the price.

trigger
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
My first time visiting Suffolk I was struck by the size of the facility. Not what one expects for a track that's barely on the radar anymore. I can only imagine what the crowds were like "back in the day".

https://01f14b0.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3868

sonnyp
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
the grandstand was somewhat like a factory and the racing was one notch above the new england fair circuit but the countryside around it was beautiful and it was kind of fun, especially on sunday afternoon before saratoga started racing sundays. anyone remember green mountain park in pownal, vermont ?

NJ Stinks
03-16-2009, 12:38 AM
How about Golden Gate? Anyone familiar with that track and surrounding areas?

I spent a weekend at Golden Gate in the '90's. The grandstand was really nice and the view of the hills beyond the track sort of reminded me of Italy. Overall, I loved the place! And you get to visit San Fran to boot!

Unfortunatey, the fields are small nowadays and they put in AWS. But the turf course is first class!

5 years ago I would have suggested Keeneland and Arlington. But AWS ended that. And I've never been to Oaklawn, the Fairgrounds, or Tampa Bay so I can't recommend these tracks even though I want to get all 3 one day.

So here's my suggestion. Go to the Naples-Fort Myers Greyhound Track. The dogs run every 20 minutes and are a blast! Naples is great place to visit, and Fort Myers Airport is very accessable. Go in the winter and you can play all the tracks I want to go to plus Gulfstream through the magic of simulcasting. You won't regret it. :ThmbUp:

proximity
03-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Well I am off for a day trip to a track which nobody will mistake for a destination track, Charles Town. .

come on, trips to ct are a guilty pleasure. admit you like them!!:)

not sure where you are from, but for me it's about a 100 mile drive. long enough to be somewhat therapeutic, but not so long that i ever dread making trip home.

a few years back on nice sundays they always used to grill outside at the little bar across the street. unfortunately ct sealed off the racing museum/ main entrance part where you could easily sneak over between races.

also every two or three years i try and make a timonium-ct "double." obviously this isn't something you can do on a sunday because of the post times, but i always find it to be somewhat cathartic....

miesque
03-16-2009, 09:21 AM
come on, trips to ct are a guilty pleasure. admit you like them!!:)

not sure where you are from, but for me it's about a 100 mile drive. long enough to be somewhat therapeutic, but not so long that i ever dread making trip home.

a few years back on nice sundays they always used to grill outside at the little bar across the street. unfortunately ct sealed off the racing museum/ main entrance part where you could easily sneak over between races.

also every two or three years i try and make a timonium-ct "double." obviously this isn't something you can do on a sunday because of the post times, but i always find it to be somewhat cathartic....

Actually I usually enjoy myself at Charles Town and its the closest track to me that is actually open until Colonial opens in June (and thats not that close either) and its a feasible one day trip for Sunday afternoon racing which for me consists of 160 miles each way. I like spending some time at the track each month and you are correct its a nice shot of therapy and I always feel a lot better after spending some time at the track. Their Sunday Buffet is actually a pretty decent deal for only $16 with a pretty good selection (at least as far as the items I am most likely to eat).

jhilden
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Been to many tracks across the country and have to say Keenland is the best, with Monmouth 2nd, and Belmont 3rd. For the real racing experience, can’t beat the Big A in the winter and Hawthorn. If you ever need a half decent watch, someone will gladly sell you theirs.

overthehill
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
when i lived in new york i probably took the bus out to monmouth once a year and i always enjoyed the vacation like atmosphere. the last time i went though it was willie the shoe's last year of racing and his last trip to monmouth. I think he won 6 races that day. he had the most amazing hands.

Track Collector
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
(a) Keeneland (b) Arlington Park (c) Hastings

TEJAS KIDD
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I am bypassing my annual trip to DMR this year for a drive up the Ca coast to Ferndale. Spent 10 days up there about 20 years ago and had one of the best times of my life. Small little town on the coast just south of Eureka (for movie buffs, OUTBREAK and THE MAJESTIC were filmed there). County fair racing at its best. Races include Mules, Arabians and Tbreds over a 1/2 mile track set up on a high school campus. The grandstand is one of the oldest in the country and withstood a major earthquake back in the 90's ( I happened to be there when one hit. SCARY!!)

HuggingTheRail
03-17-2009, 12:00 AM
(a) Keeneland (b) Arlington Park (c) Hastings

Um, Hastings?

michiken
03-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Although their meet is short, I would say give Kentucky Downs a try. Take the Bluegrass Parkway right from Lexington to I-65 to Franklin. A beautiful drive.

KD had also had a 'Majestic' feel to it while I was visiting even though it was only for simulcast. The turf track course looked very unique.

nvemil
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Boomer

Did the whole 4 days last year and what a surprise indeed. Just an fantastic time. The setting is really unique. Family friendly as well. Simo's of NYRA/SOCAL/CD for those who want it and that's basically outdoors under the grandstand. Might do it again. Call well ahead for two things though: Good Box Seats and Lodging.

No fireworks in Flag on the 4th (fire danger) so check ahead to see where the closest show may be.