PDA

View Full Version : OVERLAY makes ten the hard way: double nickels

falconridge
03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
On this day, March 9 on the Gregorian calendar, the day on which hyper-observant Roman Catholics celebrate the feasts of St. Dominic Savio, Ste. Frances of Rome, and St. Gregory of Nyssa:

in 1796, Napoleon Bonaparte married Josephine de Beauharnais;
in 1856, legendary vaudevillian Eddie Foy was born in Greenwich Village in a 1955 Oscar-nominated Bob Hope movie;
in 1862, the first skirmish between two ironclad warships, the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia, ended in a draw;
in 1916, Pancho Villa led nearly 500 of his countrymen in a raid of Columbus, New Mexico;
in 1934, Yuri Gagarin, first human in space, entered the terrestrial atmosphere;
in 1943, chess grandmaster and future U.S. and world champion Bobby Fischer made his first move;
in 1945, U.S. B-29 squadrons launched incendiary saturation bombing attacks on the Empire of Japan;
in 1953, mesomorphic Cincy slugger Ted Kluszewski sweated in the Florida sun at the Reds' spring training camp (Big Klu would go on to swat 40 or more four-baggers in each of the next three campaigns);
in 1954, PA stalwart Overlay, the most accomplished Latinist on the board, debuted in Denver. O'lay would soon relocate to Cincinnati, the burgh of his upbringing, where he'd become an habitue of Crosley Field and a staunch supporter of the Queen City Nine (aka the Redlegs, aka the Reds), before moving on to Claremont, California, where he earned distinction as the unsurpassed master of the classic Bally pinball machine, Space Time. :cool:
How's about shout out fer me old pal, eh? :ThmbUp:

Ever best,

falconridge

P.S. Don't think I've forgotten that ... I owe you ... a little over ... HALF A MILLION DOLLARS! ;) :p :D

toetoe
03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Best wishes to Overlay !!! :jump: .

I myself got my start in 1955, and I owe it all to my parents, Fons and Origo.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Happy Birthday Overlay!

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Hear, hear! (A day late as usual)

Tom
03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Happy Birthday Overlay!
One of the best! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

And, check out his books.....good stuff for sure!!!!!

bobbyb
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
All the best OV :ThmbUp:

bobby