PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Show gives financial advice

highnote
03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
This is funny.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220252&title=cnbc-gives-financial-advice

jballscalls
03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
that was pretty funny!! only bad part is that he doesn't think people should take personable responsibility for borrowing money.

Dave Schwartz
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Great quote at the end.

(Not the FU part.)

"You know, between the two of them, I don't know which one I'd rather see in jail."

Is that a quote for the times or what?

And follow up with this one:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220253&title=the-dow-knows-all

Daily for President!

highnote
03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Bwahahahahaha -- the stock ticker was classic!

cmoore
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I saw that video the other day John..Santelli just shows us how clueless wallstreet is..I hardly ever watch Cramer. But for some reason I saw the day he said, " keep buying even though you know it's over valued". I was like WHAT???

Here's a guy on youtube that has some good rants about the economy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIAb5sUaHU&feature=channel

Tread
03-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Funny thing is, you could create the exact same segment with PA's posts during the exact same timeframe calling everyone "goons" and telling us everything will be fine.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Funny thing is, you could create the exact same segment with PA's posts during the exact same timeframe calling everyone "goons" and telling us everything will be fine.I never, EVER, said everything will be fine. You show me the post where I say "everything will be fine" and I will make you a super-moderator.

There was no recession back in late 2007, early 2008, no matter what the official call was.

If that was a recession back then, then what the hell do you call what's going on today?

Just recently we had multiple negative quarters of GDP and just recently we've suffered massive job losses....hmmm...all signs of a recession...and guess what...now it LOOKS and FEELS like a recession...

Not back in December 2007.

Plus, of course, you have the whole PSYCHOLOGICAL aspect of declaring "WE ARE IN A RECESSION" when we really weren't. Sort of became a nice little self-fulfilling prophecy...nice excuse for companies looking to downsize a little when before they couldn't come up with good excuses to lay people off or freeze salaries.

Of course, when you throw in the housing market, the derivative blowups and the bank failures, I suppose recession was inevitable no matter what the psychology of the situation dictated.

But I must state again, I never said "everything will be fine." Hell, I never even implied it. What I stated was that we weren't in any sort of real recession yet. Never said there wouldn't be one later.

Tread
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I never, EVER, said everything will be fine. You show me the post where I say "everything will be fine" and I will make you a super-moderator.

There was no recession back in late 2007, early 2008, no matter what the official call was.

If that was a recession back then, then what the hell do you call what's going on today?

Just recently we had multiple negative quarters of GDP and just recently we've suffered massive job losses....hmmm...all signs of a recession...and guess what...now it LOOKS and FEELS like a recession...

Plus, of course, you have the whole PSYCHOLOGICAL aspect of declaring "WE ARE IN A RECESSION" when we really weren't. Sort of became a nice little self-fulfilling prophecy...nice excuse for companies looking to downsize a little when before they couldn't come up with good excuses to lay people off or freeze salaries.

Of course, when you throw in the housing market, the derivative blowups and the bank failures, I suppose recession was inevitable no matter what the psychology of the situation dictated.

But I must state again, I never said "everything will be fine." Hell, I never even implied it. What I stated was that we weren't in any sort of real recession yet. Never said there wouldn't be one later.

You can put any spin on it you want PA, but your posts were always in direct response to people who were trying to state that things were headed in the wrong direction. Many times someone didn't come right out and say we were in a recession, it was just a warning, but you still offered up "goon" name calling anyway.

Perhaps the words "we will be alright" never actually came out of your mouth, but if you are trying to argue that the underlying sentiment of your arguments was not rooted in squashing nay-sayers and people who thought the economy stunk or was on the path to stinking in the very new future, you need to go sell that complete crock of shit somewhere else.

If I really cared enough (which I don't), this would be very easy to prove that underlying sentiment going back thru your old posts (assuming you haven't altered or deleted anything). I'm just a casual visitor to this site during Triple Crown season, and it is just hilarious to see all you guys still at it one year later.

Instead of being a man and admitting your underlying sentiment COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG, you are STILL trying to put spin on the topic, clinging to archaic recession definitions when the NBER says the economy has sucked since December 2007 (meaning the entire triple crown season last year when you were handing out "goon" nametags like Halloween candy).

You can justify it to yourself anyway you want to in your head, the rest of us who have been reading your posts know the truth and can see someone trying to spin to cover their ass when we he has been completely owned by the facts. I'm glad you share a love of horse racing and offer this forum to discuss it, but be a man and admit what you were trying to defend last triple crown season was wrong.

boxcar
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I never, EVER, said everything will be fine. You show me the post where I say "everything will be fine" and I will make you a super-moderator.

What we currently have going on is the Great Oppression Recession (a/k/a BO's "Tough Road Ahead"), which soon will be succeeded by the Great Oppression Depression (a/k/a BO's Raw Deal).

Boxcar

ddog
03-10-2009, 01:04 PM

for goodness sakes, what would you call it NOW?

You really intended to ask that?

Is that a joker type riddle?

I think at the risk of being rude it could be called a continuing or perhaps worsening recession at this point?

Is it written anywhere that a recession must be an immediate one month cliff dive followed by a V shaped one month recovery?

Come on mon, relaaaax , get over it already.

I like how you throw the recession call under the bus when back in the day you were saying that those of us who questioned the prevailing stats/calls were goons and talking the market down since the call hadn't been made and the current stats from the gvt and the bespoke dudes and whoever else were showing no signs of the dreaded R.

Classic.
:)

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
You can justify it to yourself anyway you want to in your head, the rest of us who have been reading your posts know the truth and can see someone trying to spin to cover their ass when we he has been completely owned by the facts. I'm glad you share a love of horse racing and offer this forum to discuss it, but be a man and admit what you were trying to defend last triple crown season was wrong.The stats didn't back it up. Plain and simple. They can say all they want that the recession started in December 2007...but I have a better idea.

Go out and poll people and ask them how they were doing in December 2007 through June of 2008 and how they are doing now.

Ask them "if December 2007 - June 2008 was a recession, what would you call today" when people are NOW losing their jobs at traditional recessionary rates, and the economy IS NOW contracting at traditional recessionary rates or greater.

I'm not spinning anything. I STILL disagree that December 2007 was any sort of recession. I haven't changed my mind, no matter what some think tank says.

You know, there have been guys out there who have been saying derivatives were going to kill us all -- going back 10+ YEARS! Hey look, they eventually turned out to be correct, but it took 10+ years to prove it....

Let's say those same guys have been short the market, trying to cash in on their opinion for 10+ years. Do you really think any of those guys had any money left when the market finally started to dive at the end of September 2008?

That's my point. Who cares if you were right or wrong in calling whatever it is you think you called.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I like how you throw the recession call under the bus when back in the day you were saying that those of us who questioned the prevailing stats/calls were goons and talking the market down since the call hadn't been made and the current stats from the gvt and the bespoke dudes and whoever else were showing no signs of the dreaded R.

Classic.
:)That's right. The stats weren't supporting your "gooniness" AT THE TIME. I never claimed there would be no recession and I never claimed things were going to be AOK. How many times did I have to post this very sentiment to pktruckdriver when HE always seemed to accuse me of stating "Everything is just peachy folks...."

I presented an opinion based on facts and historical precedence, which is more than I can say for some of my more vocal critics at this point.

highnote
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Good rebuttal by Cramer...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10470764/1/cramer-lets-have-a-real-debate.html

eclecticapper
03-12-2009, 01:17 PM
The saga continues...

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/03/11/mudwrestling-in-midtown.aspx?PageIndex=2