PDA

View Full Version : Jan Rushton?

Milleruszk
03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Does anyone know if Jan Rushton is still employed by NYRA? She seems to have disappeared from the paddock show. Thanks.

Grits
03-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Is she possibly taking time off during the winter months as Durkin does?

During these months, I've enjoyed John Imbriale thoroughly. His call yesterday for the Toboggan Stakes was outstanding. For those that didn't see the race, try one of the sites that carry them. It was a great race, an exciting finish, and a great call by Imbriale.

OTM Al
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
She is still employed but is currently on a temporary leave.

Bruddah
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I consider Jan not only a very smart and talented Broadcaster, but very soothing to these tired old eyes.

I hope she and her family are well, and this is just a short respit.

Hurry back Jan! :ThmbUp:

Milleruszk
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had not seen her on the paddock show in a couple of months? and I started to wonder what had happened to her.

MickJ26
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Jan is the best paddock host around, not to mention those great legs from all those years of exercising horses.

Monty Capuletti
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Aside from the hats and painfully obvious commentary she seems like a very nice lady.

LIH
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Jan is the best paddock host around, not to mention those great legs from all those years of exercising horses.

Huh????

supercap
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Huh????

Nice legs for a fifty year old!!!!!!

Grits
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
If Jan were to log on and read the thread, she'd probably be flattered by the comments about her legs given she's a tiny little thing at 5ft.nuthin'.

Rico8812
03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
What happened to her?

MickJ26
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Jan used to exercise horses in the mornings for I believe Shug McGaughey. In the summer, Jan wears short skirts to show off her great legs.

KirisClown
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
1cCqhfuJIp0

jognlope
03-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Does she pay for all her outfits? And those hats...

point given
03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Kiri thanks alot for posting that Harvey Pack, Jan Rushton interview, it brings back memories that we only get a glimpse of now at Siros during Saratoga. Harvey is the best and Jan used to give alot more stuff out than now. I used to really look forward to the races of the week and interview show and now dont watch it at all, JB couldn't shine HPs shoes, but would like to see TLG do the show.

Figman
03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
According to the N.Y. Daily News, Siro's, the popular Saratoga restaurant right next to the thoroughbred track, is up for sale. The asking price is $3.1 million, or just a few dollars more than they charge for a beer.

Grits
03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't believe her hats are, though certainly, I could be wrong. There are some fine, fine ladies wear shops at Saratoga and I'd think they'd benefit by providing the gorgeous hats Jan wears each day of the meet.

Too, if Jan had to purchase these, how could she fit all of them into her car traveling from upstate to downstate and back for the meets? She'd need to tow a small trailer.
Does she pay for all her outfits? And those hats...

SMOO
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't believe her hats are, though certainly, I could be wrong. There are some fine, fine ladies wear shops at Saratoga and I'd think they'd benefit by providing the gorgeous hats Jan wears each day of the meet.

Too, if Jan had to purchase these, how could she fit all of them into her car traveling from upstate to downstate and back for the meets? She'd need to tow a small trailer.

Just like drinkers consider New Years Eve "amateur night" that must be how Jan looks at The Kentucky Derby.

KirisClown
03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Kiri thanks alot for posting that Harvey Pack, Jan Rushton interview, it brings back memories that we only get a glimpse of now at Siros during Saratoga. Harvey is the best and Jan used to give alot more stuff out than now. I used to really look forward to the races of the week and interview show and now dont watch it at all, JB couldn't shine HPs shoes, but would like to see TLG do the show.

You're welcome..

Agreed on Harvey... he'll always be the best...

NY racing hasn't been the same since the day he was fired..

jognlope
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm trying to place her southern accent -- either Va or NC, maybe Maryland

Grits
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
South Carolina. Easley is the city, I believe.

JustRalph
03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
S.Carolina is right

see here

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/feb/18/oneone_jan_rushton/

Marshall Bennett
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
S.Carolina is right

see here

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/feb/18/oneone_jan_rushton/
Thanks for the link JR , I now know a lot more about Jan than before I read that .

Grits
03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
And, with this, I see I was incorrect about hat ownership.

Milleruszk
04-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Still no Jan....seems to have quietly disappeared! :confused:

lamboguy
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
jan rushton is super, i hope she comes back because she happens to be a pretty face and is full of knowledge about this sport.

please come back soon jan

toetoe
04-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Harvey had to pack it in sooner or later.

As I recall, Devil's Bag(?) won a televized race in wobbly fashion, prompting Harv to say,
"Watch out for (fellow 3-y-o) Track Barron."

Hope I have the right names.

The cutesy term going to El Paso, meaning "no bet," never did much for me. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

toetoe
04-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Maybe it was Spend a Buck, not DB ?

westny
04-12-2009, 11:27 PM

I think NC she said on a "Jan Rushton" NYRA interview. With the very good triumvirate of Donovan, Serling, and Blewitt there was no time or much left to say for Rushton in the pre-race program.

Another MIA is Mary Ryan who used to interview the "hot" trainer of the day in a pre-race segment.
Unlike most "down-the-line bs interviews" Mary Ryan really got the goods from trainers on her program....they usually won at least one race or more the same day. Even the hard-a**** at my OTB payed attention to Mary Ryan's trainer interviews. :D

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I thought Mary Ryan was basically a Belmont fixture...perhaps when Belmont starts back up, she will be back as well. Then again, I could be wrong, as is often the case.

lamboguy
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
she comes from south carolina, i think her family has a farm and they break and train horses there.

westny
04-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, Belmont but I don't remember her at Belmont Fall last year either.

We will see when Belmont opens...

Grits
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
she comes from south carolina, i think her family has a farm and they break and train horses there.

WestNY, she was at Belmont last fall doing the physicality report on horses in the paddock area before each race. She followed the NYRA prerace analysis.

The sandhills region of South Carolina has, for many years, been the home of several thoroughbred (and steeplechase) training and breaking centers. Farms around Aiken, Camden, etc. Not all thoroughbreds have wintered in Florida, especially in prior decades. Some owners still send babies to SC.

Jan's father is a former ACC referee. She didn't grow up on a farm, training and breaking.

For others, read the interview posted by Ralph, here in the thread.

"I got a horse when we moved to Easley. We had lived in Atlanta and a couple of places where I couldn’t really have a horse. But when we moved to Easley, there was a lot more land. I had always wanted a horse and my parents got me one. I had ridden and taken riding lessons, but I didn’t have a horse until we moved to Easley. I rode a lot. And I taught horseback riding every summer at a camp in Hendersonville, N.C. I just always loved horses.’'

Rico8812
04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Why wont the Little Guy chime in and let us know what's going on w/ Jan. She's either ill, or got canned I figure.

cj
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Maybe because whatever is happening is not for public knowledge.

OTM Al
04-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Why wont the Little Guy chime in and let us know what's going on w/ Jan. She's either ill, or got canned I figure.

Please refer to post #3 in this thread. All info there is still correct. Anything else is not your business.

Bruddah
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Please refer to post #3 in this thread. All info there is still correct. Anything else is not your business.

You're sooooooooooooooo right Al. Hurry back Jan, we (your fans) miss you. :kiss:

menifee
05-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I read that Jan has resigned permanently from NYRA to tend to her brother. I will miss her.

When I was at the Spa with my father, she gave great insight. I cannot remember Saratoga without her. My prayers are with her and her family.

fmolf
05-09-2009, 05:28 AM
I read that Jan has resigned permanently from NYRA to tend to her brother. I will miss her.

When I was at the Spa with my father, she gave great insight. I cannot remember Saratoga without her. My prayers are with her and her family.
that is correct she has resigned her post to tend to her brother who has lou gherigs disease in south carolina... i wish her all the best and hope she one day returns....she was always so pleasant..and such a nice speaking voice among other attributes...

eastie
05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
it doesn't surprise me, one of the classiest and most gracious ladies I've ever meant. How about if we all send some good healing vibes to her brother, it will help him.

BlueShoe
09-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, it does not appear that Jan Rushton will be returning to the NYRA or any other racing venue in the near future. She got married in May to her one time long ago college sweetheart. Besides finding her very attractive, always thought that as a former backstretch worker she brought knowledge and insight to her broadcasts and was an asset to the sport. Am sure that we all wish her and hers happiness, and that as many have previously stated, she will always be missed. For reasons that I do not understand, am unable to post the link to her wedding, but for those interested, just enter Jan Rushton wedding in your search engine.

46zilzal
09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
read al about it here:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50696/nyra-tv-host-jan-rushton-resigns

Grits
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
What wonderful news to learn. Happy for her.:)

Rather than note the past, I'd rather celebrate Jan's future!

http://wws.weddingchannel.com/view/9938988087007494/101221/?msdvisit=1

Thomas Wolfe authored, You Can't Go Home Again

Jan would probably disagree, she's proof that one can make a joyous return.

JustRalph
09-17-2010, 06:20 PM
She nabbed herself a Retired Air Force Pilot ............ good catch !!

That photo album on the link is great............

BlueShoe
09-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Tried for at least 30 minutes to post the Wedding Channel link that Grits posted, and kept getting a "page not found". Spelling and typing checked multiple times to no avail??? Will never know. As for Jan, somehow it is rather difficult to picture her in the insurance business for the rest of her working days.:)