PDA

View Full Version : Questions about going to Churchill Downs

alysheba88
04-15-2003, 07:27 PM
No, not for the Derby, I wish. One day.

But I am going for opening day, Saturday April 26.

What type of crowd is the norm opening day? Am assuming it will be a big one? I see gates open at 11 and plan on getting there 30 minutes before then to be safe. Where is a good place to park? (not into valet parking or anything like that, just general parking). Also, I dont have a reserved seat or anything, was planning on grabbing a sport on a bench somewhere facing the finish line. Will that be a problem? Is the infield open or is that just for the Derby and Oaks? What are some good spots to see the races from (as well as watching the horses saddle)? What bars are cool to go afterwards? Also, I was thinking of going to a horse farm or two on Sunday. Which ones are recommended?

I know these are a bunch of questions. Not expecting one person to answer them all. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JustRalph
04-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Watch out for those Kentucky Girls with Big Blue Eyes........

I want to go someday too. But this damn couch, computer and Satellite system make it too easy to stay home. .........

I have a friend that used to go on opening day. He emailed me the other day and told me he was thinking about going. He said if the weathers good it will be packed. FYI:cool:

alysheba88
04-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Well I'm back. Must say I am a little disappointed in Churchill Downs. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, and had perfect weather and good seats (only 15,000 in opening day). But as far as the facility itself its kind of a dump. Yes a dump. Never expected that. Could not find tote machines, everything is teller only. If you have to whiz you have to go in a trough. Navigating your way around there is tough to.

rastajenk
04-28-2003, 02:08 PM
It's definitely from an earlier century...the nineteenth, I believe.

I can't believe you still can't punch out your own tickets. I didn't think the mutuels union was that strong.

GR1@HTR
04-28-2003, 02:18 PM
My home track LS is a palace (modern and clean) compared to some of these tracks...But I will say I truely enjoyed Churchill Downs. What a great old school/historic place. Loved the atmosphere there.