PDA

View Full Version : The ALL button

misscashalot
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Im not ashamed to tell you
sometimes I hit the ALL button
When theres an odds on and I don't have a handle on the next race, occasionally I use it for betting the double. Sometimes I win the bet and lose $, but sometimes BINGO. What about you?

MickJ26
03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Im not ashamed to tell you
sometimes I hit the ALL button
When theres an odds on and I don't have a handle on the next race, occasionally I use it for betting the double. Sometimes I win the bet and lose $, but sometimes BINGO. What about you?

I also judiciously use the "all button" if nobody stands out and I expect chaos to ensue. Nothing to be ashamed about.

BombsAway Bob
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
If I really dislike the top two faves in a race, AND I can find a "plodder" that can run third or fourth, I'll use the "ALL" Button in a Tri or Super.
If I can't come up with value in a verticle wager, and the faves are iffy, I can justify the "All" button in a P3 or P4. Exacta/DD payouts are seldom large enough to justify me using the "All". I don't play more than a token P6 from time to time when there's a Giant carryover, & I feel OK singling at least 3 legs.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Mark Cramer refered to my use of the "ALL" button as Lecherous betting from the Red Light District in his book Kinky Handicapping. The times that I primarily endorse its use is when I perceive a false favorite and the contender I have focused on is going off at double digit odds in a chaotic race with at least 10 entrants. The illustrations used in the chapter were exactas that paid 4.4k & 3.5k on a $2 wager, keying a 101-1 shot to ALL in one, and backwheeling a 15-1 (KISSIN KRIS) to ALL catching ROCKAMUNDO's win in the `93 Arkansas Derby. Of course, my all time favorite use of the ALL button was the `05 Kentucky Derby when my backwheel of 75-1 CLOSING ARGUMENT resulted in a Derby record exacta payout of $4,900 for a buck. I advocate the use of the ALL button judiciously though, as it can eat into your bankroll rather quickly if not kept in check. There is a reason they call it the Schrupp button. In recent years I found the Schrupp button quite useful in the third hole of the superfecta.

rrpic6
03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Mark Cramer refered to my use of the "ALL" button as Lecherous betting from the Red Light District in his book Kinky Handicapping. The times that I primarily endorse its use is when I perceive a false favorite and the contender I have focused on is going off at double digit odds in a chaotic race with at least 10 entrants. The illustrations used in the chapter were exactas that paid 4.4k & 3.5k on a $2 wager, keying a 101-1 shot to ALL in one, and backwheeling a 15-1 (KISSIN KRIS) to ALL catching ROCKAMUNDO's win in the `93 Arkansas Derby. Of course, my all time favorite use of the ALL button was the `05 Kentucky Derby when my backwheel of 75-1 CLOSING ARGUMENT resulted in a Derby record exacta payout of $4,900 for a buck. I advocate the use of the ALL button judiciously though, as it can eat into your bankroll rather quickly if not kept in check. There is a reason they call it the Schrupp button. In recent years I found the Schrupp button quite useful in the third hole of the superfecta.

Hajck:

Not on the topic, but I need to get my Preakness travel buddy that book. I talked him out of betting Rockamundo in the 93 AK Derby. He never lets me forget about it. I did bet Kissin Kris to win/place instead of wheel/backwheel in exactas. Wish I did so I could have split the money and stop hearing the same story forever. Seems like it was only yesterday, not 16 years ago.

RR

whyhorseofcourse
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I use all quite a bit.
No better feeling going into a race that is completey wide open and not being able to lose it...

cj
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I use all quite a bit.
No better feeling going into a race that is completey wide open and not being able to lose it...

...until the 7 to 5 wins by 5.

NTamm1215
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I've had people tell me when playing intra-race exotics that the all button means you can't handicap or that you guess. I just said OK each time and moved on.

NT

Cangamble
03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Ever since I learned about track takeout, the all button only exists for me on pick 3's and pick 4's, and maybe once a day.
I'd rather bet a bigger exactor if I think about taking all in the tri. And I've never even considered an all in supers. And I'd rather bet win (which I don't do much of). If I think a longer shot might get second, I'll take the ones that have the best shot.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Seems like it was only yesterday, not 16 years ago. RRWow, I hear that. The ROCKAMUNDO/KISSIN KRIS exacta paid something like $1,800 at Oaklawn, but paid $3,550 in the SoCal simulcast pools. I do believe ROCKAMUNDO was 108-1 onsite, but nearly twice that on the left coast. How times have changed. I remember shopping market prices at Agua Caliente's satellite facility and detecting the East Coast/West Coast bias in a big way in the Triple Crown events.

FlyinLate
03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I use the all button on occasion for both doubles and exactas.

If I really like a 4-1 or higher horse and think the favorite is weak I'll typically wheel the horse down. If he wins, just pray for a bomb second. This can lead to some nice payouts. Same way with the doubles. Win one race, pray for a bomb in the second.

1st time lasix
03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I never use it and i personally don't mind spreading $$$ in multi race or interace exotics. In my opinion the few times when a horse above 14-1 wins is so remote that an "all" play on top is reckless and foolish if you care about your roi. i wouldn't even do it with these dime supers--- but that is just my view of the world. Now underneath is can be used I guess if you key TWO horses in the super. Why play a pick 3 or 4 where you have little or no opinion in one leg? Again spread as deep as you must but there are always some toss candidates. i could only see using an all if you ALSO played another ticket emphasizing the selected keys you like in the leg also....giving you more exposure to the more likely outcomes. Seems to me that there are other pools to use to get a return on a handicapped overly you like. ex: Win/Double/exacta.

cj
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I use the all button on occasion for both doubles and exactas.

If I really like a 4-1 or higher horse and think the favorite is weak I'll typically wheel the horse down. If he wins, just pray for a bomb second. This can lead to some nice payouts. Same way with the doubles. Win one race, pray for a bomb in the second.

If the favorite is weak, why use him?

BombsAway Bob
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow, I hear that. The ROCKAMUNDO/KISSIN KRIS exacta paid something like $1,800 at Oaklawn, but paid $3,550 in the SoCal simulcast pools. I do believe ROCKAMUNDO was 108-1 onsite, but nearly twice that on the left coast. How times have changed. I remember shopping market prices at Agua Caliente's satellite facility and detecting the East Coast/West Coast bias in a big way in the Triple Crown events.
ooh, shivers down my spine remembering multi-pools on simulcast's Big Days!
I think it was the '95 Preakness that a Maryland-based horse ran second at boxcars(Oliver Twist?). Hit the Trifecta, & watched track feed payouts around the country: +$1,800 at one site, +$2,400 at another..Suffolk/Rock payout: $896.
The other was a Breeders Cup classic: 1997. Skip Away wins, & there is bumping at the top of the stretch; I have a $12 Super ticket, & if the 3rd place horse is DQ'd(Whiskey Wisdom), I hit it! AS the inquiry sign flashes, I'm yelling to no one in particular, "Bring Him Down, Bring him Down!". Finally...DQ!!! Oh,Yeah!
Results start popping up on the various tracks feeds: $8,994, $14,408, and then the Suffolk/Rock Simo goes official: $3,994..for $2! UGH!
It was "The Thrill of Victory,(dah dah dah)& the Agony of Defeat" all in two minutes!
Thank heavens for common-pool wgaering!

FlyinLate
03-09-2009, 07:43 PM
If the favorite is weak, why use him?

Because if he does manage to run 2nd the wager will atleast give me a full return on investment for $1 extra.

cj
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Because if he does manage to run 2nd the wager will atleast give me a full return on investment for $1 extra.

In the long run, that is a poor play. Luckily, most players don't think about the long run.

ryesteve
03-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Because if he does manage to run 2nd the wager will atleast give me a full return on investment for $1 extra.But if you're correct that the favorite is weak, this isn't going to happen often enough for all of those extra $1 bets to be profitable. I can understand people looking to hedge with bets that are marginal, but hedging with bets that cost you money over the long run is a tough one for me.