PDA

View Full Version : SA Oaks

joanied
03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't see one post about the Oaks today...and I don't see any of those fillies beating Stardom Bound:jump: I cannot wait til post time:jump:

jognlope
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
It's a big day for racing. Gotham has my boy Mr. Fantasy. Good luck to Nicanor.

MickJ26
03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see one post about the Oaks today...and I don't see any of those fillies beating Stardom Bound:jump: I cannot wait til post time:jump:

The Gotham has most of my attention today. You're right, it's going to be tough to take down Stardom Bound. I could see Beltene giving her a run for her money stretching out around two turns and getting a nice, stalking trip.

Greyfox
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
At 1/5 on the board I'll play against Stardom Bound. #3 Miss Silver Brook,
# 5 Stormy Slew, and # 8 Beltene are not impossibles.

DrunkenHorseplayer
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Give me Masala in the Gotham and a flyer on Hooh Why in the SA Oaks.

joanied
03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
At 1/5 on the board I'll play against Stardom Bound. #3 Miss Silver Brook,
# 5 Stormy Slew, and # 8 Beltene are not impossibles.

Shame, shame, shame...playing against the Champ today:) if I was betting, I'd just keep my $$ in my pocket for the Oaks...watch it and enjoy the thrill:jump:

Tee
03-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Stardom Bound is collection show pool $$$$$$

I see two speed horses in #2 Burg Berg & #4 Hooh Why - could one slip away?

Now should they hook up, I could see #7 Will O Way getting a very good tracking trip.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-07-2009, 07:32 PM
...and I don't see any of those fillies beating Stardom BoundNo, but I did see three that tried. What a finish!

Watcher
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
What a finish...

R7vHEGSDgag

strapper
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM
It was an exciting race alright but certainly not Stardom Bound's finest hour. She just made it in time, giving the bridge jumpers a few scary moments I'm sure.

JustRalph
03-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I still can't believe she won it..............

Greyfox
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
What a finish...

R7vHEGSDgag

Watcher: Thank you for the video.

She won.
I can't blame anyone on playing odds here though and trying to toss her.

whyhorseofcourse
03-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Still cant believe that finish.
What a great race... What a great horse...

asH
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Smiths inability to think as the race unfolded placed Stardom Bound in this position.

Aound the back stretch (approx. 6F)he continued to stay back (last)instead of moving towards the lead. When it was obvious the pace was slowing down he too starts to slow down, and only after going into the turn realized horses were going to bunch up in the turn causing a wide load. In SB's last race Smith put her within 5 lengths at the half while starting 11 lengths off at the quarter. This time he waits to long, SB is a push button horse, the problem for me is who is pushing the button. Smith was fortunate to win the Drby on Giacomo, only because of a crazed pace early, while Giacomo was the last horse moving...does smith expect to do the same with Stardom Bound (now its a coin toss of her chances to go in the Derby..Because of his ride)

I believe she should have won by open lengths in this one.

RaceBookJoe
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Watcher...thanks for the videos of both SA races. I didnt get to see it yesterday, nice to be able to jump on here and catch them. rbj

Relwob Owner
03-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Smiths inability to think as the race unfolded placed Stardom Bound in this position.

Aound the back stretch (approx. 6F)he continued to stay back (last)instead of moving towards the lead. When it was obvious the pace was slowing down he too starts to slow down, and only after going into the turn realized horses were going to bunch up in the turn causing a wide load. In SB's last race Smith put her within 5 lengths at the half while starting 11 lengths off at the quarter. This time he waits to long, SB is a push button horse, the problem for me is who is pushing the button. Smith was fortunate to win the Drby on Giacomo, only because of a crazed pace early, while Giacomo was the last horse moving...does smith expect to do the same with Stardom Bound (now its a coin toss of her chances to go in the Derby..Because of his ride)

I believe she should have won by open lengths in this one.

Nakatani's ride on the 6. Nan, was a disaster as well.....watching the replay, he seemed to spend the whole race trying to make a decision and then at the last second had to go way back to the inside, beaten about a half a length....betting him is like playing craps sometimes.

Question-does anyone know the Beyer for the race and has anyone brought up the fact that she seemed to be running at least a bit faster with her old connections from last year?

joanied
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
No, but I did see three that tried. What a finish!

Yep...try they did...surprised everyone, including me...but...always a but...she got to goofing around on the turn and lost a step...fanned so wide she coulda shook hands with the railbirds, and if you look, Nakatani was very subtle in taking her out a bit more in deep stretch...they tried...but with heart, class & courage....she tried harder:ThmbUp:

SA Derby her next start....I think maybe not. Actually, in my heart, I have been against her running in the KD...as good as she is.

JustRalph
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.equidaily.com/images/2009/saoaks01.jpg

joanied
03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Just Ralph....thanks for the photo...I just about had a heart attack...bet Mikey about had one too....

which brings me to Relwob's post... I think you don't care for Mike Smith's riding...but, I love the guy...even the best have a day where they make a wrong desision during a race...and I'd bet Mike won't do that again on her.
Hell, Jerry Bailey, IMO...got Cigar beat when he decided to run with Siphon...they all screw up once in a while.

Relwob Owner
03-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Just Ralph....thanks for the photo...I just about had a heart attack...bet Mikey about had one too....

which brings me to Relwob's post... I think you don't care for Mike Smith's riding...but, I love the guy...even the best have a day where they make a wrong desision during a race...and I'd bet Mike won't do that again on her.
Hell, Jerry Bailey, IMO...got Cigar beat when he decided to run with Siphon...they all screw up once in a while.

Joanie-I think you mixed my post up with the one that I was replying to by asH.....I wasnt really commenting on smith's ride....just said "as well" because I was replying to a post about Smith's ride....I was referring to C. Nakatani's ride on Nan, which was atrocious.

I actually like Mike Smith's riding just fine. Seems like he rode Stardom Bound just like he always has and is probably instructed to----lay back and stay out of trouble. I think he was probably as surprised as anyone with the fact that she had to work so hard.

In general, I am not too hard on jockeys because I think it is an extremely hard job and it is way too easy for us as fans to sit back and second guess. However, I keep a special eye on Nakatani because of his general arrogance and his tendency to take unnecessary risks during races.....

joanied
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Joanie-I think you mixed my post up with the one that I was replying to by asH.....I wasnt really commenting on smith's ride....just said "as well" because I was replying to a post about Smith's ride....I was referring to C. Nakatani's ride on Nan, which was atrocious.

I actually like Mike Smith's riding just fine. Seems like he rode Stardom Bound just like he always has and is probably instructed to----lay back and stay out of trouble. I think he was probably as surprised as anyone with the fact that she had to work so hard.

In general, I am not too hard on jockeys because I think it is an extremely hard job and it is way too easy for us as fans to sit back and second guess. However, I keep a special eye on Nakatani because of his general arrogance and his tendency to take unnecessary risks during races.....

Relwob...Oh:blush: another DUH day for me...thanks for the clarification. Nakatani gives me heart failure...you never know with him...I've seen him screw up too many times...I didn't see his ride on Nan, but sure take your word for it...I even used to think that Lava Man was thinking to himself in many of his races..."what does this dude want me to do!?!":D

I thought Mike was just a little too confident on Saturday, and was a little too far back, should have gotten her up there just a tad sooner than he did, but he did say, post race, she got to goofing a little on the turn for home...but, I doubt anyone else (except maybe Cordero in his day) could have rode her as strong as he did to get the win. I also wonder if her last couple of very fast works could have played a factor...at any rate, they both showed what champions are made of...I really just love Mike...and he is well suited for the filles/mares...can't wait for Zenyatta to get back.

Have a good one, Relwob:)

Relwob Owner
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Relwob...Oh:blush: another DUH day for me...thanks for the clarification. Nakatani gives me heart failure...you never know with him...I've seen him screw up too many times...I didn't see his ride on Nan, but sure take your word for it...I even used to think that Lava Man was thinking to himself in many of his races..."what does this dude want me to do!?!":D

I thought Mike was just a little too confident on Saturday, and was a little too far back, should have gotten her up there just a tad sooner than he did, but he did say, post race, she got to goofing a little on the turn for home...but, I doubt anyone else (except maybe Cordero in his day) could have rode her as strong as he did to get the win. I also wonder if her last couple of very fast works could have played a factor...at any rate, they both showed what champions are made of...I really just love Mike...and he is well suited for the filles/mares...can't wait for Zenyatta to get back.

Have a good one, Relwob:)

Totally agree....that last eigth was amazing and he got it done. She still doesnt seem as sharp as she was with her old connections and it will be interesting to see how she responds to Dutrow.

Have a good night as well Joanied:)

Living Flame
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Poor Third Dawn! Damn, she lost a heartbreaker! Nice filly, though.

jognlope
03-08-2009, 11:00 PM
An angelic horse, Stardom Bound. She can run too dagumit.

ARODISSTILLMYHERO
03-09-2009, 12:33 AM
What a race by Stardom Bound. To go almost ten wide, needing to make up what? ten lengths?

And that photo is amazing. Unfortunately i had a 1-6 exacta. Still a great race..