PDA

View Full Version : custom formatting in excel

HUSKER55
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I want to format soem text in excel and it wo't let me do it. If I use numbers it works fine.

What is the trick?

Thanks

:)

cj
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Conditional formatting? What is the text and how are you trying to format it?

HUSKER55
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
What I am trying to do is to format some brackets around some letters.

ie, (ab). (ab) refers to a formula that I want to move into various other ones.

I am trying to make sure the formula is not corrupted hence the brackets. If I use numbers, the brackets are not a problem to get put in. Excel puts the brackets in. But if I use letters it leaves the brackets off and then the order of operations get corrupted.

I am beginning too think I can't do what I want to.

Thanks

raybo
03-06-2009, 10:00 PM

I am trying to make sure the formula is not corrupted hence the brackets. If I use numbers, the brackets are not a problem to get put in. Excel puts the brackets in. But if I use letters it leaves the brackets off and then the order of operations get corrupted.

Thanks

Not enough information.

facorsig
03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Try using ' or ^ or " before the parenthesis to identify that you have text. The different symbols will right, center and left justify.

misscashalot
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I want to format soem text in excel and it wo't let me do it. If I use numbers it works fine.

What is the trick?

Thanks

:)

If you don't get your answer here, then go to
mrexcel.com registration takes a minute and it's free.

raybo
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM

Thanks

Is this what you're trying to do?

HUSKER55
03-08-2009, 01:47 AM
YES BUT FOR SOME RESON THE LETTERS WON'T COME OUT. ONLY THE NUMBERS. 55 comes out (55). ab comes out ( )

Thanks

raybo
03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
YES BUT FOR SOME RESON THE LETTERS WON'T COME OUT. ONLY THE NUMBERS. 55 comes out (55). ab comes out ( )

Thanks

What version of Excel are you running?

HUSKER55
03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
2007 EXCEL

Snag
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Is it just my poor old eyes or is there a space between the (ab). (ab)? Without the space should it look like (ab).(ab)?

raybo
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it just my poor old eyes or is there a space between the (ab). (ab)? Without the space should it look like (ab).(ab)?

Yeah, I misread his post. He wanted (ab), not (ab). (ab), 2 sentences.

raybo
03-08-2009, 10:59 PM
2007 EXCEL

In Excel 2007, I typed: ="(ab)" and got (ab)

Got the same thing in Excel 97-2003. Don't understand why you can't get the same thing.