PDA

View Full Version : Nicanor to race Saturday R8 Gulfstream

098poi
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
For those interested
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2009/03/03/faster-four-for-nicanor.aspx

jognlope
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Definitely! Thanks.

philofbelloni
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Wasn't he pulled up during his 1st race back in late January/early Feb??? I vaguely remember a 10 or 20-1 notching the win. I could be mistaken...

cj's dad
03-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I believe he finished under wraps.
Wasn't he pulled up during his 1st race back in late January/early Feb??? I vaguely remember a 10 or 20-1 notching the win. I could be mistaken...

cj's dad
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
After suffering the injury, Nicanor “wasn’t comfortable, so Edgar just wrapped up on him,” said the colt’s trainer, Michael Matz.

joanied
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Saturday should be a great race day....and I know we'd all love to see Nicanor make some headlines for himself...hope he breaks well, stays outta trouble and wins this one...for Barbaro, for Matz and for all race fans.
Best of luck little brother:ThmbUp:

Gorgeous George
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Which american racing channel will show Gulfstream? What time will it be over in Ireland when Nicanor goes to post?

cj's dad
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Race 8 - 7 - furlongs - dirt - MSW @ 4:43 EST which I believe you are 5+ hours so, 9:43 PM - It will be on HRTV here that I know of for sure and Twinspires (?)

Which american racing channel will show Gulfstream? What time will it be over in Ireland when Nicanor goes to post?

Watcher
03-07-2009, 04:54 PM
He looked better than the first start... at least.

ZK5sU89Zhd0

098poi
03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes much better. Had the lead for half a mile and was passed by the 3/5 fav and still battled back. He's got heart for sure!

jognlope
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
You can tell they train him well, keep him relaxed, and maybe that relaxed training is why he is taking his time to find his niche. He looked good.

JustRalph
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I say longer...................and Grass...............that I want to see.........

Who was the rider?

jognlope
03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I know he has the big feet for grass... oh well wait and see I guess.

jballscalls
03-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I say longer...................and Grass...............that I want to see.........

Who was the rider?

I agree Ralph, i think Jose Lescano rode today

Watcher
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
You're right, Jose Lezcano rode.

CincyHorseplayer
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
At two-turns he probably lays back and goes all the way.

Still a little green,he had to alter course at about the 16th pole and it retarded his momentum.

Nice 2nd race.I'm guessing Matz stretches him out after the 2 sprints??

Robert Fischer
03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I haven't looked at the charts for Gulfstream today, but that was a solid time for 7furlongs.
Nicanor looked surprisingly good. I wonder if there is any ambition to get him into the Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland ? Or the Lanes End at Turfway ?

CincyHorseplayer
03-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I haven't looked at the charts for Gulfstream today, but that was a solid time for 7furlongs.
Nicanor looked surprisingly good. I wonder if there is any ambition to get him into the Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland ? Or the Lanes End at Turfway ?

I know it's been done before but putting a maiden in his first 2-turn race over poly in a graded stakes seems a little ambitous don't you think??!!!

GlenninOhio
03-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer

I know it's been done before but putting a maiden in his first 2-turn race over poly in a graded stakes seems a little ambitous don't you think??!!!

Lanes End is on 3/21 - 14 days after Nicanor's race yesterday.

This horse is developing a following bordering on cult.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/default.aspx

Robert Fischer
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Agree with you completely here.
It's a longshot anyway I could try to lay out the possibility. The Blue Grass is i believe on April 11 (the Lanes end is a "too soon" March 21). If he were to be pointed to the Blue Grass way, he may as well train up to it. No real benefit of squeezing in a token maiden race.

I understand that this subject is over ambitious, and some of it is just enjoying the speculation and having some fun with the idea. :ThmbUp:

Nicanor is actually better suited to run 9 furlongs on a tiring track like Keeneland, than 7 furlongs on a dirt track. Of course, and it's a big issue is that the field for the Blue Grass is going to be much much more talented than a maiden race is bound to be.

Nicanor's chance in the Blue Grass would be based on the idea that 1. - He is getting a little stronger and his race yesterday was a reflection of that. AND 2. - The Bluegrass and 9furlongs over that tiring surface will wipe out most of the runners and it will come down to a test of stamina and surface.

Barbaro was not only great, he was bred head and shoulders above most derby horses in the past 20 years in terms of stamina.
I cashed against Nicanor his first start, but he really surprised me on the 2nd race, and I have no sentimental attachment towards him regarding Barbaro. It is purely a speculation based on pedigree and visual opinion.

You win and you're In, and you get a chance to enter a test of what your colt is bred to excel in (stamina,turf,speed).

Doubt it will happen, but fun thought. :D

joanied
03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
:jump: Nicanor looked good...broke really well and looked to me had a pretty easy lead....he may have gotten a bit tired, with the layoff...but the thing is, he was very impressive in the way he dug in deep stretch and tried to come back...besides the pedigree, looks to me he has the Barbaro courage...as mentioned, 2 turns and maybe grass will siut him well... this IS fun following this colt, and I'm sure Matz has to be pleased....I know I am:jump: