PDA

View Full Version : Do you make $ when there are 6 or 7 winning favorites for the day?

misscashalot
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Wednesday at Aqu there were 7 winning favorites.

Do you make $ when there are 6 or 7 winning favorites for the day?

I'm a double, P3 and P4 player. I hardly bet win or X or tri.

Though I don't like to have that many winning favorites, many times my tickets are tight enough for me to show a profit . I try to structure my card to use favorites as savers.

How does a heavily weighted card, in either direction, effect you?

Dave Schwartz
03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Generally, yes, although sometimes MY favorites lose and the others win but that is pretty rare.

RichieP
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
When chalks win and I am invested in the race I lose so the answer would definitely be no on THOSE races.

:(

whyhorseofcourse
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Depends on how many horses are in each field.
Since I am a multi leg exotic player, I often put the probable post time favorite in just because he/she probally looks the best on paper. I will not have a big day if a lot of them win, but I might come out alive.

I would prefer they ran out of the money though. ;)

phatbastard
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
'' ''
Do you make $ when there are 6 or 7 winning favorites for the day?

as long as i catch 1 or 2 of the others, i can sometimes eek out a profit..

lucky enough to catch overlay in yesterdays sixth, thanks to T L G

ryesteve
03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Do you make $ when there are 6 or 7 winning favorites for the day?Depends on what happens in the other 2 or 3 races :)

Ian Meyers
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Me personally, no.

I generally look for races where the chalks are vulnerable. I especially like grass races because many times a lot of the entrants will have near equal figures (adjusting for weight and ground).

I know of a number of successful handicappers that can make money playing short priced horses, but I have never been able to do that.

turfbar
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
On days like that I loose big time,1st of all I hate favorites , so I try and beat them ,if you look you can always always find a longshot in every race. I can't bet 3-5 I just can't and in those races I'll pass. Now this is a theory I have been forming in my head but during the week it seems like all chalk (yesterday AQU) ,but on weekends seems ,because of bigger fields, some longshots pop.What did Harvey Pack say ,"No man alive can survive at 3-5".

Turfbar

keilan
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
A P6 can be a very profitable play

maxwell
03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
A P6 would pay much better than a parlay so that would be my play. At least you wouldn't be able to change your mind. :)

raybo
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
In my superfecta method, the number of winning favorites can lessen my net profit temporarily. However, I am not overly concerned with how many favorites hit. I will include a favorite on my super ticket, on the win line, if I have adequate odds below him. I can still play to my $300 @ $1 minimum expected payout with favorites on top.

Robert Fischer
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
It all depends on whether or not I thought the 6 or 7 winning favorites were vulnerable.

I've sure had ("BAD") days where I tried to beat several heavy favorites and they ALL WON :blush:!
Then I have to ask myself if I am forcing the issue? Did my best bet win or lose? What was my reasoning for playing against the fav., and what the heck actually happened in the race?

If i see strong favorites - usually that is a pass situation for me.
Although have had other days where I was "in a zone" & "went with the flow" :cool:, and had some easy pick 3s or pick 4s where I was able to single a leg or two and they actually paid pretty good.

misscashalot
03-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Although have had other days where I was "in a zone" & "went with the flow" :cool:, and had some easy pick 3s or pick 4s where I was able to single a leg or two and they actually paid pretty good.

The question is what puts you in and what takes you out of the zone?
Loss of concentration to take you out?
or
Loss of concentration to put you in?

Ziggin and zaggin is a players curse.

Donnie
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Don't mind playing chalk if the horse figures to win. Rarely bet the odds-on chalk tho, even if they look like they will handle the field, I sit out the race. Yesterday, SA8 was a prime example. #8 appeared to be the posttime fav, fluctuating at 7/5, 8/5 pre-post. This horse, in my opinion, could handle this field with no problem. I posted my thoughts on this horse before the race here:

http://www.homebased2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8897

Based on my opinion, this horse was a solid bet at 8/5. Went off at 2-1 and wins it pretty easily. I guess if your handicapping is tight, why would you turn down tripling your money?

Guess I should state I am pretty much a win bettor only. If I had been playing serial bets, this was a free bingo square! If you read the post, I was also interested in the runner up #5.

Robert Fischer
03-07-2009, 11:48 AM
The question is what puts you in and what takes you out of the zone?
Loss of concentration to take you out?
or
Loss of concentration to put you in?

Ziggin and zaggin is a players curse.
Sure wish that I knew that!
Discipline and consistency remain a battle.

I know a big part is preparation and energy level.
If I have to scramble for saddle cloths and jockey silks to identify the horses, I probably don't know them well enough. I use video a lot, and for a race like the Derby, you know all the horses at first glance from their look and mannerisms... - A 50K Claimer on Wednesday should be the same way.
If I am bored, or hungry I probably should just stop for a while.

My worst days I will bet way too much on a single race and chase a profit, and my best days I see the value so much it's almost like a weird feeling, that the ticket price seems too low, like I am ripping off the ADW or voucher machine. The "voice in my head" is right when im in the zone :rolleyes:

ponyplayer
03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
No big scores, but usually make a few bucks. :cool: