PDA

View Full Version : So much for free speech on Campus

JustRalph
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504524,00.html

Professor Takes Heat for Calling Cops on Student Who Discussed Guns in Class

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

By Maxim Lott

A professor in Connecticut reported one of her students to the police after he gave a class presentation on why students and teachers should be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus. Now, free speech activists say the professor’s actions are what really need to be investigated.

Last October, John Wahlberg and two classmates at Central Connecticut State University gave an oral presentation for a communications class taught by Professor Paula Anderson. The assignment was to discuss a “relevant issue in the media,” and the students presented their view that the death toll in the April 2007 Virginia Tech shooting massacre would have been lower if professors and students had been carrying guns.

That night, police called Wahlberg, a 23-year-old senior, and asked him to come to the station. When he arrived, they they read off a list of firearms that were registered in his name and asked where he kept them. Guns are strictly prohibited on the CCSU campus and residence halls, but Wahlberg says he lives 20 miles off-campus and keeps his gun collection locked up in a safe. No further action was taken by police or administrators.

more at the link

The police are idiots in this case.

NJ Stinks
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree with Jerold Duquette. I can understand why the student feels wronged and why the prof was nervous. Nobody wants another Virginia Tech but everybody has rights that need to be protected.

This reminds me of Bush's warrantless wire-tapping. It trampled rights but he erred on the side of caution or so his backers like to say.

Lefty
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
stinks, are you a terrorist? If not, then your rights were not trampled by wiretaps. Also, lives were saved. The wiretaps did not listen to actual conversations but listened for repetitive words like Brooklyn Bridge. that attack was foiled because of the wiretaps. Bush saved lives, you should be thankful.
Topic at hand: leftwingers recoil at speech they do not agree with. this prof further proves the point.

cj's dad
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I agree with Jerold Duquette. I can understand why the student feels wronged and why the prof was nervous. Nobody wants another Virginia Tech but everybody has rights that need to be protected.

This reminds me of Bush's warrantless wire-tapping. It trampled rights but he erred on the side of caution or so his backers like to say.

It amazes me how he gets dragged into every post that somehow catches the left in a double standard type of situation; as though invoking his name renders
harmless the information presented regarding the left.

prospector
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
fire the professor...

witchdoctor
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
fire the professor...

Arm everyone :bang: :bang:

jballscalls
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
\Topic at hand: leftwingers recoil at speech they do not agree with. this prof further proves the point.

Michael Powell and his ludicrous regime at the FCC were a perfect example of this as well, when they censored and added record fines to many disc jockeys around the country for speech they didn't agree with.

righties recoil just as much lefty

Lefty
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
jb, what were the fines for? What speech didn't Powell agree with?

jballscalls
03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
jb, what were the fines for? What speech didn't Powell agree with?

a wide variety of things he found "offensive" to his apparently very sensitive ears. some stuff sexual, some 'expletives'. I know from listening to howard stern for years, some of the stuff he earned record fines for, was extraordinarily harmless stuff. They were talking about sex. Loveline talks about sex all night long and doesnt get fined, so why does howard, bubba the love sponge and oppie and anthony?

Tom
03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Because there are requirements to use the air waves.
Standards that they violated.

Lefty
03-05-2009, 12:02 PM
jb, that's what I thought. Its apples and oranges. FCC shutting down expletives and sexual content is one thing, shutting dn political speech and ideas is completely different. The two just aren't equal.

jballscalls
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
jb, that's what I thought. Its apples and oranges. FCC shutting down expletives and sexual content is one thing, shutting dn political speech and ideas is completely different. The two just aren't equal.

what is more dangerous, talking about guns and politics or talking about sex?

LottaKash
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
As for "Censorship"....might as well get used to it.....It is just the beginning, and soon enough it will be the norm....."Big Brother is closing in".....

best,

ddog
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
guns and schools, she's damned either way.

if he gave a presentation and then 6 months later shows up with a gun and blasts the heck out of the place she is out on her ass and certainly in a world of civil hurt along with the school.

if she says something she is "against free speach" and "for" censorship.

yeah, i am sure that makes sense.