PDA

View Full Version : terrible spill..2nd@Aqu:

BombsAway Bob
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
man this is the worst..

Nets
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
man this is the worst..

Absolutely terrible. Hard to care much about handicapping at this time.

LIH
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
what the hell happened?

Ron
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't understand why they did not pay out for third. Didn't the 1 get third? WTF?

DeanT
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Weird kind of awful deja vu there. I was just catching up on reading and saw this race (while I was half way through).

I was reading about the terrible Woodbine accident on Monday in the Toronto paper.

http://www.thestar.com/article/596093

Onion Monster
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
One of the worst I've ever seen.

onefast99
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't understand why they did not pay out for third. Didn't the 1 get third? WTF?
The 2 finishing horses in this case the 4 who won and the 3 who finished 2nd split the entire show pool. There was no 3rd horse crossing the wire with a jockey on it.

BUD
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
In NASCAR terms that would be called the big one----

Sucked the life outta the day.

I know hope is a 4 letter word by sh1t I hope all is OK----That Eric Lopez to my eye took the worst of it-----Man you gotto hate it.

DanG
03-04-2009, 01:18 PM
what the hell happened?
Castro’s horse broke down #5 and it started a 5 horse chain reaction. The type of scene you see in harness far more then thoroughbreds. This was UGLY / Dominquez / Napravnik among the involved.

Castro; off all mounts.

Ron
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I thought the #1 horse jumped the #5 and the jockey fell off the horse AFTER the wire.

DeanT
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Just watched the replay. It is worse the second time around.

LIH
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Lord in Heaven,

Poor horse that broke down. Hope the rest of the horses are unscathed. Sorry to hear Castro off to the hospital. All others in the room, doing what these guys do, stare it down, try to not look back, and go back out there and ride their asses off. Remember this everyone the next time you want to curse them out, and knock their lack of judgement, or proficiency of their rides. They are the toughest of athletes, bar none.

Hope all heal fast

SMOO
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Remember this everyone the next time you want to curse them out, and knock their lack of judgement, or proficiency of their rides. They are the toughest of athletes, bar none.

True, they have guts that few of the larger athletes in "team" sports have.

DanG
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought the #1 horse jumped the #5 and the jockey fell off the horse AFTER the wire.
I have no idea what race you were watching Ron. :confused:

slew101
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Never seen a race where only two horses finish. Hope everyone is OK.

cj
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a race where 2 of 7 horses finish and the race not be canceled for betting purposes. Now, obviously those two would most likely have finished 1-2 anyway. I'm just saying I have never seen that before.

DeanT
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
They paid out the top two only at Woodbine on Monday as well CJ. Up here there is a rule on "no contests" where all can be refunded, but those two horses finishing did not constitute one.

I do not know the no contest rule at AQ or NYRA tracks. Maybe Serling or someone does.

cj
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I do think they made the right call, as denying anyone that bet the winner or the exacta would seem unfair. I just remember in some places a certain number of the field has to finish after an accident, like half or something.

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
This appears to be the rule from NYSRWB

4030.7. When race declared void.

A race may be declared void if no qualified horse cover the course according to rule.

So as long as one finishes without infraction, then the race counts.

BUD
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I think the #5 The Terranova Fillie had to be put down?---

Damned shame------

Imriledup
03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a race where 2 of 7 horses finish and the race not be canceled for betting purposes. Now, obviously those two would most likely have finished 1-2 anyway. I'm just saying I have never seen that before.

If they cancel the entire race, they have to refund all their profits. Considering they are a not for profit body, makes you wonder why they would care about preserving their profit on the race. But, in this case, they did.

Brogan
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
If they cancel the entire race, they have to refund all their profits. Considering they are a not for profit body, makes you wonder why they would care about preserving their profit on the race. But, in this case, they did.

Not for profit really only refers to use of the proceeds of the business that is being operated. NYRA still needs $$$$$ to function.

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Why is it that so many people simply do not understand the rules of the sport they claim to like. If you are betting money without understanding the rules, where they come from, and how they work, I encourage you to bet more as those of us aware of the rules would love to take it from you. The New York State Wagering and Racing Board makes the rules that must be followed. The rule says that if a qualified horse finishes the race, then it is an official race. This has nothing to do with NYRA. If you do not like the rule, please complain to the State of New York.

cj
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Why is it that so many people simply do not understand the rules of the sport they claim to like. If you are betting money without understanding the rules, where they come from, and how they work, I encourage you to bet more as those of us aware of the rules would love to take it from you. The New York State Wagering and Racing Board makes the rules that must be followed. The rule says that if a qualified horse finishes the race, then it is an official race. This has nothing to do with NYRA. If you do not like the rule, please complain to the State of New York.

To be fair, there is no way in hell anyone playing lots of tracks knows all the rules at all the tracks, especially for situations that rarely come up.

I could be wrong, but I would guess, and even wager, that the stewards do have some discretion to declare a race void if they deem it warranted. I can certainly see why they did not here.

supercap
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM

How would knowing this rule help you profit? Can you foresee a breakdown and somehow guess who it will be? Really a senseless post on your part.

point given
03-04-2009, 03:00 PM
This appears to be the rule from NYSRWB

4030.7. When race declared void.

A race may be declared void if no qualified horse cover the course according to rule.

So as long as one finishes without infraction, then the race counts.
The tent meet at Gulfstream a few years ago had the first race of the first day cancelled during the race when the tractor broke down and couldnot move the starting gate. the outriders galloped down to the turn to wave off the jocks but some of them still continued on to the finish line. I was standing near Scott Savin the Pres of GP at the time and there was a livid bettor ranting at him and serving notice of a law suit. LOL

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
How would knowing this rule help you profit? Can you foresee a breakdown and somehow guess who it will be? Really a senseless post on your part.

This rule, maybe not, but what about gate scratches on half of a coupled entry and how that affects horizontal wagers? What about the rule on the P6 when a race gets taken off the grass? Those are rules you'd better know if you play these bets. If you do not know the rules of the tracks you are betting on, then you are at least in part, acting in an irrational manner and not taking into account real possibilities when betting. Nothing like watching the melt down when someone singles a coupled entry in a race with a crummy favorite in a P4 and watches one of those horses scratch. Its a situation you'd better consider.

Frankly though, I was more railing on the poster's inability to even read the previous post that spelled out the rule and who was responsible for that rule, so he pretty well showed his level of comprehension.

And cj, I know you are capable of playing pretty much any track any time, but I am not and would venture to say that very few are able to with any success. I think most people would be better off getting to know a small set of tracks very well, but that is a matter of taste I guess.

supercap
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
This rule, maybe not, but what about gate scratches on half of a coupled entry and how that affects horizontal wagers? What about the rule on the P6 when a race gets taken off the grass? Those are rules you'd better know if you play these bets. If you do not know the rules of the tracks you are betting on, then you are at least in part, acting in an irrational manner and not taking into account real possibilities when betting. Nothing like watching the melt down when someone singles a coupled entry in a race with a crummy favorite in a P4 and watches one of those horses scratch. Its a situation you'd better consider.

Frankly though, I was more railing on the poster's inability to even read the previous post that spelled out the rule and who was responsible for that rule, so he pretty well showed his level of comprehension.

And cj, I know you are capable of playing pretty much any track any time, but I am not and would venture to say that very few are able to with any success. I think most people would be better off getting to know a small set of tracks very well, but that is a matter of taste I guess.

Are you saying that you take these rules into account when you are handicapping? The only reason you need to know this stuff so you can get refunds. If you are figuring these circumstances into your betting strategy god bless!

onefast99
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
To be fair, there is no way in hell anyone playing lots of tracks knows all the rules at all the tracks, especially for situations that rarely come up.

I could be wrong, but I would guess, and even wager, that the stewards do have some discretion to declare a race void if they deem it warranted. I can certainly see why they did not here.
I dont think that the stewards would try to alter the outcome of a pari-mutuel event at any track without a good cause. The fact that only two horses finished the race at Aqueduct wouldnt be a reason to cancel all wagers. If there was interference on the track like the immovable gate that was mentioned then the race has to be cancelled for fear of injury or death to a horse or rider.

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Are you saying that you take these rules into account when you are handicapping? The only reason you need to know this stuff so you can get refunds. If you are figuring these circumstances into your betting strategy god bless!

Say you are playing a P4. In 2 of the legs you have really live longshots. In another leg there is a horse sure to go off as favorite, but you are so sure that another horse is going to win. 99.5% of the time, no problem, single that horse and go. But when you do single and its not the favorite, you really should consider what the potential payoff os the bet is and weigh it against the very small chance you will lose that runner and get stuck with a bad favorite. It may never happen to you, though it did once to me. Whenever you are singling a horse that is not the favorite, you should at least think about this rule.

Say you are playing a P6. Races are still on the turf when it starts, but the sky is looking dark. At least one of the legs is on the turf. How are you going to play the turf races (let alone the other races) if you know the rule is that you get ALL when they are rained off? This absolutely will affect your bottom line.

I just think its foolish not to take the rules into account when making decisions involving your money. And beyond that I simply can't abide people complaining that they got put on a bad favorite after a scratch. Know the rules.

cj
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I dont think that the stewards would try to alter the outcome of a pari-mutuel event at any track without a good cause. The fact that only two horses finished the race at Aqueduct wouldnt be a reason to cancel all wagers. If there was interference on the track like the immovable gate that was mentioned then the race has to be cancelled for fear of injury or death to a horse or rider.

Races have been canceled due to mishaps involving spills on the track. Imagine if the lead horse broke down and the only two horses to finish were 25 lengths back at the time of the spill 1/4 mile from the wire. Similar has happened and all wagers are refunded.

It is a time stewards must use discretion, and as I've said, they got it right today. I know what the rule that Al posted says, but I would be shocked if there isn't some leeway. Other tracks definitely have it.

supercap
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Say you are playing a P4. In 2 of the legs you have really live longshots. In another leg there is a horse sure to go off as favorite, but you are so sure that another horse is going to win. 99.5% of the time, no problem, single that horse and go. But when you do single and its not the favorite, you really should consider what the potential payoff os the bet is and weigh it against the very small chance you will lose that runner and get stuck with a bad favorite. It may never happen to you, though it did once to me. Whenever you are singling a horse that is not the favorite, you should at least think about this rule.

Say you are playing a P6. Races are still on the turf when it starts, but the sky is looking dark. At least one of the legs is on the turf. How are you going to play the turf races (let alone the other races) if you know the rule is that you get ALL when they are rained off? This absolutely will affect your bottom line.

I just think its foolish not to take the rules into account when making decisions involving your money. And beyond that I simply can't abide people complaining that they got put on a bad favorite after a scratch. Know the rules.

I hear what you are saying , dont know if I have ever bothered to think about this stuff, maybe a good tool in the right spot.

toetoe
03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
As I recall, in California they require half the field to cross the line to qualify the race as official. Anybody know ?

Purely academic point, and I know that this occurred in New York. :)

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I hear what you are saying , dont know if I have ever bothered to think about this stuff, maybe a good tool in the right spot.

Absolutely! Just like any other of those very rare angles that you use. Because I guarantee you most of the people out there playing are not aware of the rules, just like most miss those favorite angles.

onefast99
03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Races have been canceled due to mishaps involving spills on the track. Imagine if the lead horse broke down and the only two horses to finish were 25 lengths back at the time of the spill 1/4 mile from the wire. Similar has happened and all wagers are refunded.

It is a time stewards must use discretion, and as I've said, they got it right today. I know what the rule that Al posted says, but I would be shocked if there isn't some leeway. Other tracks definitely have it.
I dont know what the difference would be if horses were 25 lengths behind or ahead. If a horse crosses the wire and the rest of the field was unable to complete the race due to track interference that is one thing but horses that unseat their riders due to a breakdown or trying to avoid a breakdown cannot be allowed to be dismissed from the pari-mutuel event and a race considered null and void. I dont know of any track that would permit this but then again some of the smaller tracks may have different rules and regulations posted somewhere in large letters so the betting public is aware of their policies.

onefast99
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
As I recall, in California they require half the field to cross the line to qualify the race as official. Anybody know ?

Purely academic point, and I know that this occurred in New York. :)
So if a race scratches down to 3 starters and two of the horses dont finish the race due to unseating their riders then the race is considered a non-betting event? Imagine if the 1/5 horse won you dont think the track would want the race to be considered official?

OTM Al
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM

They can't, at least in NY as the rule is stated. That isn't to say it isn't otherwise in other places. I don't know as I don't bet outside NY much at all. Only on things not covered by the rules do they have discretion

4022.21. Discretionary powers.

If any case occurs which is not or which is alleged not to be provided for by this Article, it shall be determined by the stewards in such manner as they think just and conformable to the usages of the turf; and the stewards may impose such punishment and take such other action in the matter as they may deem to be within the intent of this Article, including reference to the commission.

Of course we could get into a further arguement if the stewards really know their own rules, but lets just not go there.

jognlope
03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I was sitting here doing my work, the TV in back of me and was listening to race but not watching, glad I didn't I suppose.... sad news.

Donnie
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
From DRF:

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - One horse died and at least one jockey was injured as part of a gruesome five-horse spill that occurred during the running of Aqueduct's second race on Wednesday.

Jockey Eddie Castro was diagnosed with a badly bruised left shoulder and was released from the Jamaica Hospital and Medical Center. Castro was injured when he was hurled to the ground after his mount, Private Details, broke down approaching the quarter pole. The spill started a chain reaction as four other horses unseated their jockeys in a race where only two horses finished.

Private Details, a 3-year-old daughter of Toccet, had to be euthanized on the track with a broken left foreleg, but the four other horses in the spill were reported to be okay.

Jockey Anna Napravnik, the last of five to be unseated when her mount One Dream Union fell over another horse, took off her remaining three mounts complaining of back pain. Napravnik suffered a broken back in 2007. Her agent, Bob Klesaris, said he would most likely send Napravnik to a local hospital for X-rays.

Jockey Ramon Dominguez, whose mount Truly Divine was the first horse to fall over Private Details, suffered no injuries and rode the remainder of the card. Victor Santiago, who suffered a bump on his forehead, took off his one remaining mount. Joseph Berrios was still being observed in the track's first-aid room, and no decision had been made whether he would ride his one other mount.

ARODISSTILLMYHERO
03-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Don't know what race you watched but all of the jockeys clearly fell off at the top of the stretch other than the first two finishers.

cj
03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
So if a race scratches down to 3 starters and two of the horses dont finish the race due to unseating their riders then the race is considered a non-betting event? Imagine if the 1/5 horse won you dont think the track would want the race to be considered official?

I don't think it applies if the horse(s) cause their own problems. Common sense has to be used in these situations. Maybe the NY stewards have proven that is beyond their abilities.

INFRONT07
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I think RON is beating something other then his cow bell;FAR too much.
careful RON you;ll go blind:lol:

onefast99
03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think it applies if the horse(s) cause their own problems. Common sense has to be used in these situations. Maybe the NY stewards have proven that is beyond their abilities.
The key words are common sense. One of the racing channels shows a race every once in a while where the gate was never moved and the track announcer is frantically yelling for the jocks to pull up on their mounts.

Cangamble
03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I've uploaded the video. I hate these things and can barely watch them myself. But I'm sure there is a lot of curiosity here:
PXCfBkuPgOA

JustRalph
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
is that Dave Rodman? He sounded very upset by what occurred.

I can't blame him.......hard to watch.

joanied
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh dear God....that was horrific to see...sorry I looked.
:( :( :(

swami13
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the video post, it's a one time only view. I guess the only "good news" was that only one horse was lost and one jockey injured (from what I heard), it appears that it could have been so much worse.

Cash_McCool
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
is that Dave Rodman? He sounded very upset by what occurred.

I can't blame him.......hard to watch.

Dave Rodman's been calling the races in Maryland for 15+ years. The caller at Aqueduct today was John Imbraile.

Cash_McCool
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
@Cangamble

Since de-facto message board cop GRITS is on vacation or busy with message board cop duties on other websites, please allow me to post this on her behalf:

"This is pretty bad. And I think you've used worse than poor judgement in posting this.

The sport is difficult at times like the one shown above and one doesn't need to be reminded of it being so--it doesn't benefit one soul's handicapping here today to show this.

What is your particular point in doing so?"

Cangamble
03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
@Cangamble

Since de-facto message board cop GRITS is on vacation or busy with message board cop duties on other websites, please allow me to post this on her behalf:

"This is pretty bad. And I think you've used worse than poor judgement in posting this.

The sport is difficult at times like the one shown above and one doesn't need to be reminded of it being so--it doesn't benefit one soul's handicapping here today to show this.

People want to see it. I wanted to see it. I'm just making it easy for people.
Nobody here has to watch it.

I put up the harness accident from Monday on the Youtube channel too. Today I got over 4500 hits. It was linked by Standardbred Canada. I'm sure that is where most of the hits came from.

People want to see these things. In fact, I saw the harness accident on a Toronto new broadcast. Heck, this is a racing forum. I've done nothing wrong.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
After I read the article on DRF's website, I went to some replays I have access to and watched it. Terrible accidents are upseting, but in my case at least, I wanted to gain some understanding of what & why some things happened. I wanted to understand how one horse falling in a field of only 7 horses could cause 4 other horses to fall. Now I understand, the poor horse that broke down fell and rolled sideways, creating a much wider path for others to trip over. There were a couple horses directly behind and they fell over the broken down horse. The two trailers were close and following directly behind them and coming around & out of the turn - therefore limiting their vision as to what was happening ahead, and now I understand why the trailers were not able to avoid the disaster as well.

With some of the better racing at competitive, high level tracks, it seems the riders stay closer to the rail and save ground on turns, but a bad instance like this can cause terrible troubles as we have seen. I now have a greater appreciation why some of the riders on the cheaper circuits I frequently follow are often spaced further apart and not always taking the rail route or are fanning out wide from the turns for a clearer path. They may lose ground, and it may cost some victories and closer finishes, but perhaps they also avoid more spills and accidents that way. I know on days when it is very cold and the track cannot be watered, they avoid a lot of flying sand kicked in their faces as well. I don't like to dwell on the terrible and the macabre but I know I understand more, learn more. Plus somehow I feel more connected, and feel the sorrow that others are experiencing, don't know, just helps me to mourn with those affected and the others who witnessed it I guess. Very sad, and I feel sad with them, albeit safely from afar.

Marshall Bennett
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
@Cangamble

Those who hear about it , a major pile up , are curious . I don't see any harm in posting the video . There was no loss of human life , minor injuries , and we move on . If this is that bad for you , I suggest you keep your eyes closed 24/7 , humans are viewed in much more graphic sufferage daily on all networks . Where is your concern for them ?

Cash_McCool
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Please re-read my last post. I don't have any problem with posting videos/pictures of racing mishaps. I just wanted to make sure that the opinions of resident message board cop GRITS make it into this thread. It's somewhat in jest, but here none the less. See the Johhny V thread for additional info.

Marshall Bennett
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
@Cangamble

... and I beleive this is bullshit , pass it along or whatever . You posted it . If you don't agree with it , then you should have waited and let " Grits" post it herself . There was no harm done here posting this video .

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2009, 02:54 AM
@Cangamble

What is your particular point in doing so?"Are you kidding me? You took time out of your day to post THIS CRAP? Seriously?

Wow.

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Please re-read my last post. I don't have any problem with posting videos/pictures of racing mishaps. I just wanted to make sure that the opinions of resident message board cop GRITS make it into this thread. It's somewhat in jest, but here none the less. See the Johhny V thread for additional info.No, you just wanted to be an asshole. And start more problems where no problems needed to be started.

Job well done Mr. Useless!

onefast99
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Please re-read my last post. I don't have any problem with posting videos/pictures of racing mishaps. I just wanted to make sure that the opinions of resident message board cop GRITS make it into this thread. It's somewhat in jest, but here none the less. See the Johhny V thread for additional info.
Trying to post third party is a felony in most forums!

DanG
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I now have a greater appreciation why some of the riders on the cheaper circuits I frequently follow are often spaced further apart and not always taking the rail route or are fanning out wide from the turns for a clearer path. They may lose ground, and it may cost some victories and closer finishes, but perhaps they also avoid more spills and accidents that way.
Excellent point;

In most races; you could drive a truck through the gaps turning for home at Tampa for example.

IMO: Lower class horses are more prone to this type of rare occurrence because “normally”; less quality = less agility and frankly; often less racing intelligence.

mikey blanc
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM

i think you are just trying to be jerk, however, I see a big difference between Cangamble's post and the one in the Johnny V thread.

Cg's video was clearly labeled, leaving it up to the viewer to decide wether to watch it or not. The pic in the Johnny V thread was just there for everyone to see wether they wanted to or not.

Personally as long as the video is clearly labelled I see no harm in posting it.

garyoz
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Speaks to the fitness and athleticism of the jocks. Much worse the day Mike Venezia was killed about 20 years ago. Tough business--tough men and women, not to mention the courage of the animals. At least horseplayers are not titilated by spills like some of the NASCAR crowd.

jognlope
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I think you need to see to share the pain, get it over with, and so that your imagination isn't working overtime.

jognlope
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
That's John, can't remember last name, nice guy, never off the mark.

BUD
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I just learned something thanks----I never could understand why in some of the tracks why they were so spaced apart--Thanks---That info will help me understand the game and my capping a bit better.

After I read the article on DRF's website, I went to some replays I have access to and watched it. Terrible accidents are upseting, but in my case at least, I wanted to gain some understanding of what & why some things happened. I wanted to understand how one horse falling in a field of only 7 horses could cause 4 other horses to fall. Now I understand, the poor horse that broke down fell and rolled sideways, creating a much wider path for others to trip over. There were a couple horses directly behind and they fell over the broken down horse. The two trailers were close and following directly behind them and coming around & out of the turn - therefore limiting their vision as to what was happening ahead, and now I understand why the trailers were not able to avoid the disaster as well.

With some of the better racing at competitive, high level tracks, it seems the riders stay closer to the rail and save ground on turns, but a bad instance like this can cause terrible troubles as we have seen. I now have a greater appreciation why some of the riders on the cheaper circuits I frequently follow are often spaced further apart and not always taking the rail route or are fanning out wide from the turns for a clearer path. They may lose ground, and it may cost some victories and closer finishes, but perhaps they also avoid more spills and accidents that way. I know on days when it is very cold and the track cannot be watered, they avoid a lot of flying sand kicked in their faces as well. I don't like to dwell on the terrible and the macabre but I know I understand more, learn more. Plus somehow I feel more connected, and feel the sorrow that others are experiencing, don't know, just helps me to mourn with those affected and the others who witnessed it I guess. Very sad, and I feel sad with them, albeit safely from afar.

A. Pineda
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM

This may well be true. The jockeys could confirm the validity of these statements, but I have always felt that the fanning out on the turns was a function of the tight turns on the half-mile tracks, the poorer quality animals that would not change leads, and jockeys that rush to get position and enter the turn too fast.

Also, have no problem with CG posting the video, but I didn't watch it. These spills make me sick.

jognlope
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Announcer is John Imbriale.

joanied
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Gonna jump:eek: in here...Cash McCool is way off base posting third party...even if you know someone, in this case, Grits, really well, you cannot presume to know what that person would say about a subject, or within a thread on this board...even if it's meant in jest...it's wrong.
Cash McCool...that was NOT :ThmbDown: cool at all...and maybe you owe Grits an apology...

As for the video of this wreck...I see nothing wrong in anyone posting a video that might not be appealing to everyone, as long as there is a 'disclaimer' with the video, folks can decide wether or not to view it.

That's my story....and I'm sticking to it:)

Grits
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Joanie, this person knows me? Seemingly so. I, though, don't know who this person is. And I'm really sorry, to others, that he used me for the purpose of hijacking the thread.

Gonna jump:eek: in here...Cash McCool is way off base posting third party...even if you know someone, in this case, Grits, really well, you cannot presume to know what that person would say about a subject, or within a thread on this board...even if it's meant in jest...it's wrong.
Cash McCool...that was NOT :ThmbDown: cool at all...and maybe you owe Grits an apology...

As for the video of this wreck...I see nothing wrong in anyone posting a video that might not be appealing to everyone, as long as there is a 'disclaimer' with the video, folks can decide wether or not to view it.

That's my story....and I'm sticking to it:)

toetoe
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
While I decide whether to :lol: or :( at the pitchforks-and-torches treatment of the Cash Machine, will someone please give me the status of the injured riders ? I found nothing at nyra.com, and nothing at Equidaily.com ... :confused: .

Grits
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
These may be of help for you, Toe.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49469/horse-euthanized-after-aqueduct-spill?id=49469

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/March/04/Riders-escape-serious-injuries-in-Aqueduct-spill.aspx

DeanT
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Dont watch the 8th. That was heartbreaking. My god that poor horse.

BUD
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Was that the same corner?

BombsAway Bob
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Dont watch the 8th. That was heartbreaking. My god that poor horse.
A Six-Year old with 6 works in 5 weeks, no less! He went out to the track in shape.
Other than Oscar Barrera, I haven't seen a NYRA trainer send an older horse out for that many works in a short amount of time. Very Sad..

JustRalph
03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
that was one hell of a strung out field.

The breakdown happen just as the field was coming together.........horses in front slowing.....horses in back moving up.........damn!! Timing is everything in life.........

onefast99
03-05-2009, 05:20 PM
A Six-Year old with 6 works in 5 weeks, no less! He went out to the track in shape.
Other than Oscar Barrera, I haven't seen a NYRA trainer send an older horse out for that many works in a short amount of time. Very Sad..
Beaten 111 lengths combined in its last three dirt starts isnt a horse in shape. Clearly someone may have been MIA for some of those works!

toetoe
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
These may be of help for you, Toe.

Thank you. :) .

Steve 'StatMan'
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Was that the same corner?

(Same post I put in the Sigh You thread, worthwhile here.)

Sigh You (3/5 Race 8) was running a pretty decent race up to the point of breakdown, was only about 1-1.5 lengths off the lead through much of the race through the 2nd turn, then seemed to slow a little (tiring, sore?) then broke down. Not sure if is left-front action was a little to the left, not quite a paddle but I haven't done a lot of body/leg action work to know for sure. Seemed to happen at about the same spot as yesterday's spill, except SY stayed upright (painfully) while decellearting, the jockey fell off and rolled to/under the rail, and thanfully the field was able to avoid striking both of them. The horses behind him were at least 2-3 lengths back, that had to help a bit as well to avoid them.

joanied
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Joanie, this person knows me? Seemingly so. I, though, don't know who this person is. And I'm really sorry, to others, that he used me for the purpose of hijacking the thread.

Glad to see you found this thread and McCool's posting...you needed to know...
we all can sure argue our points and opinions here...agree to disagree, but speaking for someone else just ain't the right thing to do :bang:

Have a good one, Grits:)