PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper

dutchboy
02-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I purchased the local paper Saturday and was surprised to see two full pullout sections of ad's for new and used cars. Another full section of real estate ad's.

Seemed odd since normally there would be one section of a few pages for both auto and real estate.

Overlay
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't know how odd it is. A greater-than-usual number of homeowners trying to sell homes they can't afford before they get foreclosed, and auto dealers or private parties trying to unload cars either because they're gas guzzlers, or as a means of raising extra cash. And the increased volume of ads because so many people are competing for so little available business, either because people don't want them at any price, or they're just holding on to their money instead, due to the uncertain conditions currently prevailing.

Tom
02-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Since papers are no longer allowed to print the truth, they have lots of available space. :D

Overlay
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Two other factors that occurred to me would be people who are "upside-down", owing more on their homes than the home is now worth due to depreciating property values, and who are trying to sell before the value drops any further (even if they can afford their current mortgage payment). And on the buyer side of the equation, people who don't have the resources to pay cash for a home or a car, and can't get the credit they need to finance the purchase (even with all the bailout money floating around).