PDA

View Full Version : Fifty-Cent Trifectas- A Time That's Come!?

BombsAway Bob
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Don Stevens, track announcer/analyst @ Delta Downs,
asked my opinion on the addition of Fifty-Cent Trifectas @ Delta,
something he's trying to get started.
I told him I thought it was a super idea, likely to attract lots of small "action" bets from players that normally might not wager on Delta races.
While some bettors think lower minimums hurt payouts, I disagree strongly.
In fact, chalk players will likely benefit in Tri payouts,
since players will be spreading thier play over more runners,
increasing Chalk-chalk-chalk results!
In addition, it will keep W2G action down a bit on Big Prices, saving time at the mutuel windows.
For example, a $900 Tri on a $1 ticket results in a W2G,
even if you invested $12 on the play
(i.e.: keying one horse on top over 4 horses second & third).
With a .50 cent increment, players can punch two $6 Fifty-Cent tickets for the same bet, cash TWO $450 tickets,
& avoid 10 minutes in line showing multiple ID's to collect YOUR money.
(Money that you've probably given the track from previous visits!)
What's your thoughts?

cj
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Lowering minimums on trifectas is a lot better for the fan than it is on P3s, P4s, supers, etc. How often do you see a trifecta pay ALL in the third slot? There are clear tax benefits as well.

rrbauer
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I think that it will take more than 50-cent trifectas to get people to drop everything and run right over to the windows at Delta. I've seen some of the most blatant late-odds changes ever at that track and with the exception of their special stakes' nights the racing there ain't much.

jognlope
02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Finger Lakes has them

Steve 'StatMan'
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
So does Arlington.

May not attact gobs of new bettors, but lets existing customers either spread a little further at half their $1 bet size, for half the winnings. Might also entice some some extra bets that might have been skipped. It's a good teaser. Some might not want to box 4 hs in the Tri for $24 for a $1 box, but might throw be willing to throw $12 at it for $0.50 combos. Or not $6 for a 3-horse box per $1, but $3 for $0.50 combos. Not a great betting strategy per se, but it gets the money into the pools for them & others to play for.

spicytomato
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
pools can add up plenty

folks dont like plopping large amounts they can see

but given small amounts they go back over and over

you can lose just as much playing 50cters as 1 min wagers

so let them roll with that thought

every track should
i think they would see increase in betting pools
and they would become more popular too
people avoiding the higher priced wagers
to play the lower ones budget sized

i have seen many blow large sums
but mostly i see the ones that come to otb to
play small sums that they can easily afford to lose
as a distraction to everyday life
they hardly ever score, just play

my 2 cents
or 50c

whyhorseofcourse
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Keeneland and Penn National have them as well.
I personally like them, but I hope they do not go any lower then 50 cents. 1 Track with 10 cent tri's is enough.

BlueShoe
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Sure,why not?The topic has been kicked around on this forum,but imo lower minimums help the handle and do not depress prices.With dime supers and half buck tris the moon shooters and numbers players will spread their bets and play impossible combinations,thus helping the logical payouts.While we are at it,why not a 50 cent pick 5?The $2 pick 6 is too costly for all but the very well heeled bettor to play,and a half buck pick 5 would give a chance to win a lot for a small investment.There are a couple of tracks that have this bet,and a couple of harness tracks,but cannot recall which ones.

raybo
02-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I've said it before and still stick by it. Smaller minimums increase the pools and also the average payouts. I play small to medium size tracks in the midwest and midsouth and since the introduction of dime supers, at most of these, the super pools have nearly doubled and average payouts have increased slightly.

Some say that these smaller minimums take money out of the other pools. I haven't seen any evidence of that. It appears that traditional WPS, Exacta/Quinella, and DD players are still playing those pools while many of them are also venturing into the smaller minimum exotics in addition to their normal plays.

Zman179
02-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I love the 50¢ trifecta because I like to play bomb boxes and keys and it affords me the opportunity to make a score without busting me during a losing streak. $6 doesn't sound like much, but it adds up over 9-10 races + multiple tracks. $3 for a 50¢ box is better to deal with. :ThmbUp:

Thomas Roulston
03-01-2009, 05:21 AM
And I know just who they should use to promote it! :D