PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

cj
04-13-2003, 11:19 AM
I guess it is hard to control, but is anyone here as sick and tired as I am of these selfless free promotions? Please guys, all you are doing is turning off potential customers. There are some guys here who also sell things, but they aren't on here pushing their stuff. They may answer questions if asked, but that's about it.

You guys are ruining the best racing site on the net. Enough already!

CJ

rmania
04-13-2003, 11:33 AM
CJ....

I was only responding to a question. I mentioned that I was the developer only because I had been accused of not doing that in the past.

If I was just a user I probably wouldn't be getting attacked from all sides.

If I was just a user I could supply all of the free advertising I wanted to and no one would question me, just like a lot of people on this board do...

Would you rather I just assume another name and act as a shill?

Take a look at the threads on this forum "Handicapping Software" and count the number which pertain to a software product. Kinda makes one believe that this is what this forum is for......

cj
04-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I wasn't just talking about you...

But, defending your own product will make you look bad. My opinion, take it or leave it, I don't care. If its good, users will defend it, if its not, the maker will.

Also, I wasn't just talking software, so maybe this thread should have been in another area. These "picks" threads are a joke, too.

CJ

rmania
04-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I wasn't just talking about you...

But, defending your own product will make you look bad....
I would like to think that mostly what I post is nothing more than an explaination as to what the software was designed to be. If I make claims its usually in reponse to posts such as the "Black Box" thing.

The only time I get defensive is when people such as betover start attacking me while they promote the products they use. Seems like a double standard to me.

BTW, I don't see anyone picking on pandy..................

betovernetcapper
04-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Whining is a very distastful trait.

rmania
04-13-2003, 12:22 PM
and the other two.

Any commission for that?

betovernetcapper
04-13-2003, 12:31 PM
No commision from Netcapper-At The Races or Equsim-just the simple joy one feels in sharing quality products with others.

rmania
04-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by betovernetcapper
No commision from Netcapper-At The Races or Equsim-just the simple joy one feels in sharing quality products with others.
How's about sharing some of your picks from those quality products?

betovernetcapper
04-13-2003, 12:55 PM
You may note my picks every Sat in the Haw section of the PA Contest. Thank you for your interest. By the way I noticed that Equsim (the original Sim program) is having a sale. You know Equsim the program that handles all tracks-distances. You know the one that has horses running in an oval rather than a stright line-yeah that one is having a sale.

rmania
04-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by betovernetcapper
You may note my picks every Sat in the Haw section of the PA Contest. Thank you for your interest.
You probably should have kept that a secret. LOL!

Tom
04-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Anyone interested in a little competition? Say, a Sat/Sun contest, each software guy has to make 20 plays from , say, 5 different tracks. Whatever races they want , split however they want. If you want 10 pics from SA and 10 from GG, so be it. Win% and total money returned are the criteria. I will volunteer to track the results. The only prize is bragging rights.
Any takers?

(I know some software is not black box and to use it as such is not the correct way to play it, but what the heck, do you have the confidence of your tool?)

betovernetcapper
04-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Just what I needed-more stress-but sure I'm game.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I guess it is hard to control, but is anyone here as sick and tired as I am of these selfless free promotions?

CJ, I share your sentiment. Watch your e-mail...I'm going to send you a note shortly (might take a day)...let me know what you think....

==PA

rmania
04-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
Anyone interested in a little competition? Say, a Sat/Sun contest, each software guy has to make 20 plays from , say, 5 different tracks. Whatever races they want , split however they want. If you want 10 pics from SA and 10 from GG, so be it. Win% and total money returned are the criteria. I will volunteer to track the results. The only prize is bragging rights.
Any takers?

(I know some software is not black box and to use it as such is not the correct way to play it, but what the heck, do you have the confidence of your tool?)
If your talking about a handicapping contest then how about 1 race 1 track, both of your choice with a minimum of 10 entries.

Handicap the entire field to project how each horse will finish and assign each horse a final running time.

Now that would be a "handicapping" contest.

It may be difficult to score, but them maybe not.

oldstuff
04-14-2003, 04:44 PM
This is getting disgusting

I see stupidity reigning supreme.

formula_2002
04-14-2003, 06:13 PM
cjmilkowski

As you know this is the "handicapping software" section.

What would you suggest be posted here?

Thanks

Joe M

cj
04-14-2003, 06:47 PM
I would suggest opinions and questions about software from users, but not constant pumping from the writer or programmer. Follow the lead of PA, Nathan, and Dave Schwartz. They handle questions about there software with class and don't advertise. Perhaps something similiar to the Handicapping Library threads.

The other thing that happens is when brand new posters enter the site and immediately start pumping up "other's" products. Then they vanish into the night after a few posts never to be heard from again. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going on there.

There is much good discussion going on in all the sections here. I hate to see it get cluttered up with this junk. One thing I can say from my year and a half as a member is this...you aren't going to blatantly advertise on this board and get a positive response. All it does is tick everyone off and certainly won't do anything to increase sales.

If you have something to sell, get a web site and buy advertising on racing sites and in racing pubs, much more effective and much less annoying.

Lastly, if you read my second post in the thread, I said I wasn't just talking software, but picks also, and probably should have posted it elsewhere.

CJ

formula_2002
04-14-2003, 08:07 PM
cjmilkowski

I've been on the board about 4 months.
PA, Nathan and Dave Schwartz sell software?

They have been SO discreet, I had no idea that they sold software..what a loss.

I thought Dave sold real-estate and took shots at guys who sell software, Mike had a day job and who's Nathan.

I for one don't mind people coming into the board mentioning their software or software of others.

Many things can be learned by questioning the sellers on their product.

We can all learn from Q and A on an open board.

Joe M

Dave Schwartz
04-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Joe,

Want to buy some property in Florida?

A great deal... They discovered land on it last year...

<G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

formula_2002
04-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Dave, sorry, I can't raise anymore money from my partner's.

We're really tied up on this bridge deal we have been working on in Brooklyn.

But I dont hold out much hope for it..Too many "strings" attached.

So maybe latter.

Joe M

andicap
04-14-2003, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't put Pandy in the category of people pumping software here. He pretty much shows up to answer questions or to respond to when people post about his software. He does have a right to defend himself.
I don't think PA is selling his stuff anymore, BTW.

There is a fine line between "informing" people about new software and selling it.
I think Nathan and Joe Z. did it very well -- mentioned it, invited questions, but didn't press the issue. Dave did same thing a couple of years ago and got some customers, but you wouldn't know it from reading the site in the past year.

As PA owns the site, and pays for it, he has every right to sell whatever the hecks he wants to IMHO.

formula_2002
04-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Wow. I just went through the members list of web sites (through 'H'). Dozens of members selling software. mostly "TOOLS".

I just love that "tool" thing.
Tools, selections and little if any back-up or results.

Talk about "black boxes" !

Joe M

cj
04-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by andicap
I wouldn't put Pandy in the category of people pumping software here. He pretty much shows up to answer questions or to respond to when people post about his software. He does have a right to defend himself...

Oh really...

DIAMOND SYSTEM
Here is a copy of an email I just received minutes ago pertaining to the thoroughbred version of the Diamond System. By the way, on my SHARPHORSES SELECTION SERVICE www.sharphorses.com I picked 7 winners at Aqueduct on Wood Memorial day.

Bob Pandolfo

DEAR PANDY,

I JUST GOT BACK FROM AQU 4/12 I WENT FOR THE WOOD MEMORIAL AND ALL I COULD SAY PANDY MAN IS YOU CRUSHED
THE CARD WITH THE DIAMOND SYSTEM.I BOUGHT YOUR PROGRAM ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND LOVE IT BIG TIME.
ALL THOUGH I WAS AT AQU I ALSO PLAYED KEENLAND AS MY 2ND TRACK AND YOU CRUSHED JUST ABOUT EVERY PICK 3
ON THE CARD.

WELL PANDY THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING THE BEST PROGRAM ONTHE PLANET.TAKE CARE MY FRIEND

YOUR DIE HARD $$$$ DIAMOND FAN $$$
ROB VITALE JR ,BKLYN ,N.Y

What exactly does this lend to the site?

CJ

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2003, 04:08 AM
I haven't sold a thing in years....lol

I am not in the business of selling software, or anything else for that matter anymore....

==PA

formula_2002
04-15-2003, 06:37 AM
Sharphorses.com

short on stats (2 year old poor report on 304 races).
long on how to pay for service.

Joe M

JustRalph
04-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by formula_2002
cjmilkowski

I thought Dave sold real-estate and took shots at guys who sell software, Mike had a day job and who's Nathan

Damn that Nathan must be really discreet! If he doesn't know who he is.............makes CJ's point very well I think.