PDA

View Full Version : Recapping past events

cj's dad
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
puts todays problems in perspective:

On this site (PA) in the Off-Topic section there are many diverse views and opinions; occasional name calling and character assassination.

The age range is wide (one has identified himself as 25 while another has stated he is 77) as are the political affiliations.

One thing shared by all is the turmoil and events (some of which could be described as devisive) that all of us have shared in the course of our lifetimes.

To recap some of the events which have shaped our lives:

Korean War – 37,000 dead (Pentagon)

Vietnam War – 58,000 dead (Pentagon)

Assassination of John F. Kennedy

Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy

Assassination of Martin Luther King (and the riots that followed)

Attempted Assassination of George Wallace

Bay of Pigs Invasion

Cuban Naval Blockade

Cuban Missile Crisis

Cold War

Nuclear Arms Race

Slain Civil Rights Workers in Mississippi

Alabama School desegragation

Civil Rights Act

Voting Rights Act

Kent State

Chicago Riots- 1968 Democratic National Convention

The Watts Ca. Riots

Watergate

Impeachment of William J. Clinton

Resignation of Richard M. Nixon

Massacre at Columbine High School

Space Shuttle Columbia

Bombing of the World Trade Center

Bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Building – Ok. City

Bombing of the Marine Barracks – Beirut, Lebanon

Persian Gulf War

9/11

Iraq/Afghanistan War

A few of you may remember all of these events, some may remember most, and a handful just a few. The point is that while they were occurring, they were dealt with as necessary. Hopefully, the current state of affairs will be dealt with in a reasonable manner and not have a deep and lasting effect on this country. Only time will tell.

Lefty
02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I could add WW!! to that. I was just a kid, but to see people pull together with the Victory Gardens, women going to work to make War Equipment. My own mother was a riveter and a welder. She worked on Airplanes, the kids collected newspapers and tin foil. Often there were blackouts, and we all sat on the porch watching the skys. Those were the days when we all truly did our part.

cj's dad
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
WWII-

My dad was a US Navy seabee (Pacific) and my step dad was US Army (North Africa). The events I listed are ones I recall, although Korea is a very distant memory; mainly a few guys in the 'hood coming home with the jackets that had "Korea"
on the back and the multi-colored designs. Boy they were ugly (the coats, that is) but I remember the guys were proud to wear them.