PDA

View Full Version : Empathy and Progressives

hcap
02-25-2009, 07:54 AM
George Lakoff and Obama’s moral vision in "The Seven Intellectual Underpinnings of the Obama Code"

http://buzzflash.com/articles/node/7792

"…Obama’s second …move concerns what the fundamental American values are. In Moral Politics, I described what I found to be the implicit, often unconscious, value systems behind progressive and conservative thought. Progressive thought rests, first, on the value of empathy—putting oneself in other people’s shoes, seeing the world through their eyes, and therefore caring about them. The second principle is acting on that care, taking responsibility both for oneself and others, social as well as individual responsibility. The third is acting to make oneself, the country, and the world better—what Obama has called an “ethic of excellence” toward creating “a more perfect union” politically."

.... Obama has consistently maintained that what I, in my writings, have called “progressive” values are fundamental American values. From his perspective, he is not a progressive; he is just an American.

That is a crucial intellectual move.

Those empathy-based moral values are the opposite of the conservative focus on individual responsibility without social responsibility. They make it intolerable to tolerate a president who is The Decider—who gets to decide without caring about or listening to anybody. Empathy-based values are opposed to the pure self-interest of a laissez-faire “free market,” which assumes that greed is good and that seeking self-interest will magically maximize everyone’s interests. They oppose a purely self-interested view of America in foreign policy. Obama’s foreign policy is empathy-based, concerned with people as well as states—with poverty, education, disease, water, the rights of women and children, ethnic cleansing, and so on around the world…."

Tom
02-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Obama is a communist.....in the making.
Young Trotsky? Little Lenin?
His values are decidedly not American. Try USSA.
When do we get our first 5 year plan?
Who will stop the rain?

DJofSD
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
George Lakoff and Obama’s moral vision in "The Seven Intellectual Underpinnings of the Obama Code"

http://buzzflash.com/articles/node/7792

"…Obama’s second …move concerns what the fundamental American values are. In Moral Politics, I described what I found to be the implicit, often unconscious, value systems behind progressive and conservative thought. Progressive thought rests, first, on the value of empathy—putting oneself in other people’s shoes, seeing the world through their eyes, and therefore caring about them. The second principle is acting on that care, taking responsibility both for oneself and others, social as well as individual responsibility. The third is acting to make oneself, the country, and the world better—what Obama has called an “ethic of excellence” toward creating “a more perfect union” politically."

.... Obama has consistently maintained that what I, in my writings, have called “progressive” values are fundamental American values. From his perspective, he is not a progressive; he is just an American.

Those empathy-based moral values are the opposite of the conservative focus on individual responsibility without social responsibility. They make it intolerable to tolerate a president who is The Decider—who gets to decide without caring about or listening to anybody. Empathy-based values are opposed to the pure self-interest of a laissez-faire “free market,” which assumes that greed is good and that seeking self-interest will magically maximize everyone’s interests. They oppose a purely self-interested view of America in foreign policy. Obama’s foreign policy is empathy-based, concerned with people as well as states—with poverty, education, disease, water, the rights of women and children, ethnic cleansing, and so on around the world…."
I reject the entire idea that if it's new it's better.

I much prefer to remember how this nation was formed and to learn the lessons from other civilizations both past and present to then decide how we move forward. A knee jerk reaction that is in large part a rejection of the principles the country was founded on is wrong.

A revolution is coming. Hope you libs have something more in your hand than your dick when it happens.

ArlJim78
02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
hogwash.
its all over when we switch over to an "empathy based" foreign policy.
that kind of approach is for dealing with your family or friends.

the world is like nature, it's survival of the fittest. the empathetic are killed and eaten by others.

Tom
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Well that was very well put. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
hogwash.
its all over when we switch over to an "empathy based" foreign policy.
that kind of approach is for dealing with your family or friends.

the world is like nature, it's survival of the fittest. the empathetic are killed and eaten by others.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

HUSKER55
02-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Empathy based economics might work with Peter Pan in Never Never land

In reality it is nothing but crime cleverly disguised as Robin Hood, who really was a thief.

DJofSD
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Empathy based economics might work with Peter Pan in Never Never land

In reality it is nothing but crime cleverly disguised as Robin Hood, who really was a thief.Ya but he had good intentions! :)

boxcar
02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey, Cap, your naivete is only surpassed by the height of BO's horse manure-filled lies. You really believe the State is this benign, benevolent, virtuous entity who only has the best interest of the masses at its heart? Tell me: Do you really believe that crap? Are you that out of touch with reality? The only reason the State wants to expand the welfare roles is so that it can bribe votes from the slothful, lazy and idle citizens (a/k/a sluggards), thereby increasing it's power base. 'Cap, it all about power, stupid! :bang: :bang: The less self-reliant The People become and less personal responsibility we take for our own lives, the more powerless we become and the more powerful the State becomes. The more The People rely upon the State for our substance, the fewer personal freedoms we have. Freedom and liberty are the prices we pay to the devil State for its evil brand of charity!

In closing, meditate upon this:

2 Thess 3:8-12
8 nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we might not be a burden to any of you; 9 not because we do not have the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you, that you might follow our example. 10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat . 11 For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.
NASB

Boxcar

rastajenk
02-25-2009, 11:01 AM
A couple of paradoxes with progressivism: one is that while the empathy for those less fortunate may be personal, the resources used to put it into action are not. Progressives expect others than themselves to carry out the good deeds.

The other is that a basic American value is the desire to be left alone, and progressive collectivism, statism, fascism, none of these isms that promote some faith-based improvement for all of society permit individuals from opting out. Not opting out of an "ethic of excellence," or doing decent things (in ways of their own choosing); opting out of state-defined measures of improving society. Progressive embrace moral relativism yet think they have all the answers for making things better. Better than what? There's no need for debate when progressives run the show (see: global warming). Therefore, they do not reflect true American values at all, in spite of what Obama's cheerleaders and spin meisters spew forth.

boxcar
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
A couple of paradoxes with progressivism: one is that while the empathy for those less fortunate may be personal, the resources used to put it into action are not. Progressives expect others than themselves to carry out the good deeds.

The other is that a basic American value is the desire to be left alone, and progressive collectivism, statism, fascism, none of these isms that promote some faith-based improvement for all of society permit individuals from opting out. Not opting out of an "ethic of excellence," or doing decent things (in ways of their own choosing); opting out of state-defined measures of improving society. Progressive embrace moral relativism yet think they have all the answers for making things better. Better than what? There's no need for debate when progressives run the show (see: global warming). Therefore, they do not reflect true American values at all, in spite of what Obama's cheerleaders and spin meisters spew forth.

Excellent post! And you make a great point about the close association many if not most "progressives" have with moral relativism. Yet, they feel they are on this high, solid moral ground -- unquestionably! They think they know what's best for the "poor" -- not wanting to acknowledge or recognize that very many people choose to be poor via their poor personal choices. Many just simply chose to be lazy. They chose to be unproductive. They chose to live an irresponsible lifestyle, etc.

Boxcar

kenwoodallpromos
02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
".... Obama has consistently maintained that what I, in my writings, have called “progressive” values are fundamental American values. From his perspective, he is not a progressive; he is just an American.

Those empathy-based moral values are the opposite of the conservative focus on individual responsibility without social responsibility. They make it intolerable to tolerate a president who is The Decider—who gets to decide without caring about or listening to anybody. Empathy-based values are opposed to the pure self-interest of a laissez-faire “free market,”
To me, he is stating the obvious attitiude of all politicians regardless of party- that anything they think, they believe they are the "middle of the road", and they take examples from the extreme of the other side to justify themselves as populist.

ArlJim78
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM

I couldn't have said it better. their ideals are always for others to follow. like taxes. Biden says its patriotic to pay them, and they always claim that the rich don't pay enough. but guess what? when held up for scrutiny we find that many of these phonies make use of taxes loop holes or actually cheat the system. Al Gore and his huge carbon footprint is another example of a phony.

They want taxpayers to bail out mortgages where people acted irresponsibly, but then we find that Obama was aided by Tony Rezko in a shady way when he bought his house, and Chris Dodd got cozy financing from Countrywide for his real estate. These do-gooder types always feel they are above the rest of us.

So nobel they are, so intelligent, so caring, so empathetic. No one should dare look behind the curtain to know the truth.

cj's dad
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=hcap]
QUOTE]

And on what men's room wall may these writings be found??

Tom
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
You're thinking of Larry Craig. :D

BlueShoe
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Bluntly put,"progressive" is a buzz word for Marxist/Leninist.Since the term "Liberal" has somewhat fallen out of favor,the collectivists now prefer the newer label of progressive.There is absolutely nothing new or remotely progressive in the ideology of todays progressives;only the old failed teachings of Karl Marx,Freidrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin.They believe in the flawed theory of dialectical materialism.The next time you hear a "Progressive",look behing the smiling face and claims of empathy and you will find a hammer and sickle.

boxcar
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Bluntly put,"progressive" is a buzz word for Marxist/Leninist.Since the term "Liberal" has somewhat fallen out of favor,the collectivists now prefer the newer label of progressive.There is absolutely nothing new or remotely progressive in the ideology of todays progressives;only the old failed teachings of Karl Marx,Freidrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin.They believe in the flawed theory of dialectical materialism.The next time you hear a "Progressive",look behing the smiling face and claims of empathy and you will find a hammer and sickle.

Ahh... a gent who really gets it. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

Tom
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
The alleged citizen, known terror supporter, proven liar, President Porkenstein last night said that the life blood of our nation was credit.

That says it all.
He is the enemy of America. Wake up.
This one ends in the streets.

ArlJim78
02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
speaking of the streets, i'll be going to the Tea Party protest in downtown Chicago on Friday. who's with me? the revolution starts now!

http://officialchicagoteaparty.com/