PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on best Magazine

duckhunter3
02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Guess the thread didn't appear, so I will try again.

I would like your opinions on which magazine you considere best for handicapping information and wagering strategies (not just general racing news):
1. American Turf Monthly
2. Horseplayer Magazine
3. Other _________(name).

Thanks very much for your time.

the Duck

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I have been reading the American Turf Monthly for over 35 years and though it has changed in many ways I still enjoy the reading. I remember going down to the main office on 505 8th avenue a block or so from madison square garden and buying the back issues from the 50's and such...they were good times.

judd
02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
why did you quit postingpicks ?

duckhunter3
02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Judd, I assume you are referring to me. Well, no particular reason. I just got very busy with lots of stuff and something had to give. Maybe I will start again if you and others are interested. Most people really aren't interested. Most people here are very independent mnded and have their own views and I think that is good.

Although I do enjoy reading cappin chatter. That guy has a great sense of humor.

all the best.
the duck

laff
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I picked up a copy of American Turf Monthly a couple of weeks ago. It's not your fathers ATM. I was pretty impressed. I quit getting Horseplayer a while back. To me, it's gone downhill. (when you finally get it)

duckhunter3
02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Looks like this thread was a dud. I appreciate those who did give me their views. I currently subscribe to ATM, and based on the replies, think I will stay right there.

the duck

pktruckdriver
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Maybe it should be a Poll thread?

I think you'd get a better response

patrick

point given
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I think they are both thin. If you combined the two of them i'd think of subscribing . The Bloodhorse magazine is an option for you since they may have lowered the sub price

clore1030
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
American Turf Monthly is my preferred among the current crop.

Back in the 70s and 80s, I did prefer "Turf and Sports Digest" to ATM, but the former has disappeared and the latter has upgraded its content significantly.

strapper
02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Turf & Sport Digest was the first racing publication I ever got my hands on. Used to buy it at the local Winn Dixie in New Orleans East. I'd spend my allowance on it.

Back in the 70s and 80s, I did prefer "Turf and Sports Digest" to ATM, but the former has disappeared and the latter has upgraded its content significantly.

cj
02-27-2009, 12:46 PM

I haven't seen one in years. The old ones were pretty bad, but that was the only one out there so I always bought it. I'll have to find a new one and give it a read.

Tom
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I like it for reading pleasure, but sometime you get a good article or an idea.
Far more interesting than Time or Newsweak.

HP is pretty good, overall, but nowhere as good as it could be.

I get both.

wildcats
03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
i read both of them. horseplayer seems to have a lot
of turnover. for me the best mag i liked the best was the
old racing action magazine.

BIG HIT
03-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Was the best over hp for sure had something for everybody.Being a angle player mostly couldn't wait for it every month.Hp would have some good article but would run section on it for months.

onefast99
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred for those in the Northeast. Good coverage of the mid-atlantic region.

miesque
03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred for those in the Northeast. Good coverage of the mid-atlantic region.

Although its not a horseplayer publication, I agree Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred magazine does a good job covering racing in the Mid-Atlantic region and has a nice collection of articles each month. I think they really do a outstanding job for a regional publication. I also like the fact that for whatever reason I have getting the magazine free since it began (I have just been assuming they have been sending it out complimentary to all licensed horsemen in the region or something to that effect)

onefast99
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Although its not a horseplayer publication, I agree Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred magazine does a good job covering racing in the Mid-Atlantic region and has a nice collection of articles each month. I think they really do a outstanding job for a regional publication. I also like the fact that for whatever reason I have getting the magazine free since it began (I have just been assuming they have been sending it out complimentary to all licensed horsemen in the region or something to that effect)
Maybe it has to do with being licensed in a particular state. I enjoy the coverage of our local tracks.

NJ Stinks
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
I get Horseplayer and like it a lot. I haven't looked at a American Turf Monthly for a long time but from what I read here I'll give it another look. I get the Thoroughbred Times too but you wouldn't know people actually gambled on races if you read one.

FlyinLate
03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
While I loved ATM's magazine itself I thought the service was AWFUL.
I ordered a 6 month subscription to test it out.
Issues came extremely late. One issue never showed up.
Customer service was closed all the time and even when I got through it was terrible.