PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you admire enough to call a hero??

jballscalls
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
http://news.aol.com/article/american-hero/353807?icid=200100397x1219513799x1201311736

Saw this list and thought it was interesting. Its the top ten responses in a random poll of who people admire enough to call a hero. GWB came in at number 5, McCain at number 7, Sully from USair was at 9 and Mother Theresa at 10.

MLK came in at number 3, Jesus himself was number 2.......and who could possibly be more inspiring, more heroic than Jesus???? Number 1 of course.......Barack Hussein Obama!!

When polled i said Tom Durkin, i heard he came in 13

DJofSD
02-22-2009, 11:27 AM
That poll is very misleading. They ask for who do you admire most and least. That is not the same thing as a hero.

I posit that a majority of the American public has not an iota of what is a true hero. What you get is a popularity poll with no idea what separates the remarkable from the mundane.

Obama as hero? You've got to be kidding.

ArlJim78
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm surprised Durkin was so low, that can't be right.

Not surprised that Hussien was higher than Jesus though. He's not called The Savior for nothing you know.

Marshall Bennett
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Obama a hero ? He hadn't been around long enough to do anything . Getting elected may be an accomplishment but there's nothing heroic about it . Lets judge this " hero " when he's done . Until then its bullshit.

Tom
02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
He is the Anti-Christ.

DJofSD
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Is that anything like ante pasta? I love ante pasta. Maybe I can learn to love Obama. On second thought, that'll never happen.

NJ Stinks
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Of course, Obama finished on top. After 8 years listening to George Bush talk, anybody replacing that guy becomes an immediate hero.

Personally, Chesley Sullenberger is the only "hero" I see in the top ten. I certainly don't consider politicians to be heroes. Except Arnold, of course! :D

boomman
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
My definition of the word is someone who is willing to sacrifice himself to save the lives of others or through some incredible skill or accomplishment selflessly saves the lives of his fellow man and demonstrates true humanity in the process:

Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew fit that distinction 100%.

I am not an airline pilot and confess readily to not knowing much about how aircraft fly and how incredibly difficult it would be for a water landing, but what I am told from the people that I know that are is that "Sully" may have been the only man alive that could have accomplished what he did that day, saving the lives of 155 people in the process. They're not calling that the "Miracle on the Hudson" for nothing. And then when this humble man is interviewed, you even moreso attach the word "heroism" to him. He is the definition of a TRUE hero. Some of the people mentioned on this list are flat out ridiculous. I'll let you determine in your own minds which ones meet that criteria...........;)

Boomer

Suff
02-22-2009, 04:13 PM
The Pilot, Co-pilot and crew, & all the first responders are pro-union. Sully Sullenberg has been active in the Pilot's Union and has declined to speak at a number of places deemed anti-union. The Pilots Union in particular has been very harsh with any nonunion interest in this member or the event.

Pace Cap'n
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
That is for sure a screwy list. Only those who have risked their life to save another are worthy of hero status, IMO.

I have never thought of McCain as a hero, but he is for sure one tough sob. Everyone knows about his years as a POW, but has anyone seen the film of him jumping from his fully armed and fueled fighter jet on the flight deck of the exploding aircraft carrier? He had to climb out of the cockpit, out on the nose, and jump right into an inferno which he managed to run out of. Six weeks later he got shot down.

jballscalls
02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
My definition of the word is someone who is willing to sacrifice himself to save the lives of others or through some incredible skill or accomplishment selflessly saves the lives of his fellow man and demonstrates true humanity in the process:

Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew fit that distinction 100%.

I am not an airline pilot and confess readily to not knowing much about how aircraft fly and how incredibly difficult it would be for a water landing, but what I am told from the people that I know that are is that "Sully" may have been the only man alive that could have accomplished what he did that day, saving the lives of 155 people in the process. They're not calling that the "Miracle on the Hudson" for nothing. And then when this humble man is interviewed, you even moreso attach the word "heroism" to him. He is the definition of a TRUE hero. Some of the people mentioned on this list are flat out ridiculous. I'll let you determine in your own minds which ones meet that criteria...........;)

Boomer

They had an interesting debate on Howard Stern the other day talking about this guy and the word hero. Howard said how we label 'douchebag" athletes and musicians as heros instead of people like Sully who are real heroes.

Robin Ophelia Quivers on the other hand said this guy is not a hero, mearly a very skilled pilot who did his job. Her take was that because he was trying to save his own life as well, it didn't enter into heroism but rather skill and a good job of piloting.

they had a gal in studio who was on the plane that day and said "well he may not be a hero, but he's MY hero!"

he's a hero in my book.

Tom
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
The Pilot, Co-pilot and crew, & all the first responders are pro-union. Sully Sullenberg has been active in the Pilot's Union and has declined to speak at a number of places deemed anti-union. The Pilots Union in particular has been very harsh with any nonunion interest in this member or the event.

So basically, what we have here is a union guy doing his job and thinking he is hero for doing it.

JustRalph
02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Take nothing away from the guy......... he did a great job.

But he did have a vested interest in his own performance..........

He didn't run into a burning building to save somebody. He was already in the building............. :lol:

dutchboy
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Sculley and Mulder of the X-Files are two to be admired.

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Anyone notice that Obama holds a slim lead over GWB in the LEAST ADMIRED list? I found that notable.

jballscalls
02-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Anyone notice that Obama holds a slim lead over GWB in the LEAST ADMIRED list? I found that notable.

You would LOL I think most any president is going to be loved and hated with equal passion, or just hated