PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to win the Grade 1 Makers Mark Mile for a third year in a row....

DrugS
02-22-2009, 04:51 AM
....When you can run 11th in Dubai instead?

From the DRF:

Kip Deville breezed a leisurely half-mile in 52.40 seconds under exercise rider Michelle Nevin here Thursday, after which trainer Rick Dutrow reported everything is still a go to send the horse to Dubai for the $5 million Dubai Duty Free Stakes on March 28.

"He leaves on the 17th," Dutrow said

leaves on the 17th huh? Assuming no other American horse goes over there ..he will be lucky to not finish 17th. Last of 16 runners and beaten home by the ambulance.

DrugS
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
It was hard to see because the camera never actually showed him coming across the finish line ... but I do think he might have finished 11th beaten many, many lengths.

They passed up a chance to be heavily favored in the Grade 1 Makers Mark - and go for Kip's 3rd win in a row in that race - so they could fly him halfway around the world and embarass him in a totally absurd spot.

Shrewd.

cj
03-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Tossing American based horses in overseas turf racing is the closest to a sure thing not called death or taxes. The 11th call was impressive if you nailed it.

DrugS
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Thought I nailed it ... but I just looked at the chart and he finished 10th beaten double digits instead of 11th. Oh well.

The only American I ever remember running ok in that race was The Tin Man, who finished 2nd as an 8-year-old. He, of course, was by Slewis's favorite sire Affirmed.

The following year, English Channel, Lava Man, and Miesque's Approval all ran in this race ... A runaway BC turf winner, a runaway BC Mile winner, and I believe the only horse to ever win a Gr 1 race on turf, dirt, and synthetic ... they finished 12th, 15th, and 16th.

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
....When you can run 11th in Dubai instead?

From the DRF:

leaves on the 17th huh? Assuming no other American horse goes over there ..he will be lucky to not finish 17th. Last of 16 runners and beaten home by the ambulance.

Cant give you enough credit....you called it way in advance and hit the nail on the head....looks like the "Experts" at IEAH called this one.....glamour and glitz over sense....if I was one of their investors, I would be quite pissed

DrugS
03-28-2009, 01:27 PM
They'll be ok. They have Dutrow.

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 01:32 PM
They'll be ok. They have Dutrow.

I dunno....Dutrow can train but if he is the one telling them who to buy....it doesnt seem to have been panning out that well lately

DrugS
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
If you have guys like Dutrow and now Mullins ... as a buyer - you can end up looking awfully smart when you really aren't. Especially if you're buying these expensive hot prospects off of trainers who don't have the magic.

Sad reality it is.