PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling for a boycott of another newspaper!

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I mean, seriously...where do we draw the line?

Columnist Wally Matthews (white man) in Newsday just called A-Rod a GORILLA! I shat you not...

No, the real power in the organization now belongs to Rodriguez, the $300-million gorilla in their clubhouse, who, for the next nine years, no one can move.I think you can see where I am going with this...on the heels of the chimp cartoon in the NY Post a few days ago...where's Al Sharpton when you need him?

Full article here (gorilla comment in last paragraph):

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spwally216043898feb21,0,216230.column

Grits
02-21-2009, 10:28 PM
PA, you know the old adage, "monkey see, monkey do." Newspapers just applying same.;)

Thursday morning on the Imus show, one of his assistants stated, "ARod, can get away with all of this ...... because he's pretty." Huh? Granted, the guy is handsome but what does this have to do with steroids and lying, and lying, and more lying?

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
It's funny how a perceived "right wing" paper like the NY Post will get called on the carpet for their chimp cartoon, but I betcha nobody will even blink an eye that A-Rod is referred to as a GORILLA in the perceived "left wing" Newsday.

Now, I'm not saying for one minute that I think Matthews is racist or that his line was a thinly veiled racist comment.

But then again, I didn't think the chimp cartoon was intended to be a racist cartoon either...but we all know what happened there....

So, I am left asking again...where do we draw the line?

pktruckdriver
02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Isn't A-Rod The 300 Million Dollar Cheater, who cares.

I say ban him and make him payback his money.

And all the others too.

Racism is wrong, but so is cheating is it not?

My Opinion

Patrick

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Ummm...ok Patrick...not sure I was looking to go down that road, but thank you for your input!

This really isn't a thread about A-Rod or the Yankees, so let's not turn it into one...or else I'll have to move this to "Off-Topic Sports" and I don't wanna do that! :lol:

pktruckdriver
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Ok Bossman

Just tell me who to Boycott, but the pity wagon stops on these million dollar cheater's.

If some rag is writing something you feel is racist, or inappropriate, that is fine too, let us know, point it out, and we can decide whether to boycott, but calling a man a gorilla, or a Spic, or a cheater, all are deragatory, which some of them may be true, all of them, not really, but freedom of the press is still allowed in this country, whether it is right or wrong, you can still print what you want.

Right wing or left wing, does either side allow for racism, not in my opinion, but it sure would show me how stupid one side is over the other by spouting racist remarks, even I can tell when some one has gone too far, and then I must agree , there are times when I think they have not gone far enough, so it is a fine line for each of us to interpret what is too far, and what is not.

Like your board here, great place to say what you feel, and not be afraid what will happen , some people lay into the trainers who cheat, others take up for them.

Some hype real things and others hype nothing, but do we boycott them , no we do not, maybe we should, but we do not.

Dang man where did that all come from, whew, I am done...

Sorry
Patrick

Tom
02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Have we lost all our marbles theses days?
$300 million dollar gorilla is a take off on 800 pound gorilla.
Geeez, people are looking for boogie men around every corner.

Seriously, anyone who took that as racist really needs some help. In the context of the article, there is no rationality to assume a racist remark was made. He is also called other names, referencing other common things:

But because the general manager was overruled by Hank Steinbrenner (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/hank-steinbrenner-PESPT008436.topic), A-Rod (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/baseball/alex-rodriguez-PESPT008368.topic) is a toxic mortgage the Yankees are stuck with until 2017, and a lingering migraine from which it seems there is no relief.

JustRalph
02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
PA...........Point well made.......!!

miesque
02-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Seriously, anyone who took that as racist really needs some help. In the context of the article, there is no rationality to assume a racist remark was made. He is also called other names, referencing other common things:

Unfortunately, the answer seems to be, yes, we have all lost our collective marbles, both literally and figuratively because Americans have gotten way to sensitive, so much so that I have noticed that there seem to be less and less that have any real balls anymore.

jballscalls
02-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Thank you!! 800 pound gorilla, elephant in the room, its just a play on an old cliche, chill out everyone!!

kenwoodallpromos
02-22-2009, 02:05 AM
"08.19.08 Wally Matthews Marvels At Joe Torre Landing On His Feet. Posted in Baseball, Sports Radio, Racism Corner at 6:52 am by GC .

With the Dodgers claiming a share of the NL West lead with Arizona and the New York Yankees gazing upwards at Tampa Bay and Boston respectively, Newsday’s Wallace Matthews concludes, it is clear the Yankees owe Joe Torre an apology, because he wasn’t the problem with this team last year any more than Joe Girardi is the problem with it this year.” I don’t get it, is there no one else willing to blame everything on Hal Steinbrenner?"

socantra
02-22-2009, 02:21 AM
I, for onw am outraged. Matthews is a pig and and I'll never read his sleazy rag again.

whyhorseofcourse
02-22-2009, 03:18 AM
As far as I am concerned Steroids should be illegal but A-rod broke no rules in baseball at the time. He in-fact broke the law which he should be punished for (But outside of baseball) but he is still a great baseball player (one of the best!) and is still a shoe-in; in the hall of fame.

GaryG
02-22-2009, 08:30 AM
IColumnist Wally Matthews (white man) in Newsday just called A-Rod a GORILLA! I shat you not...Imagine if you will that it was Barry Bonds and not A-Rod......the feces would be hitting the fan in all 31 flavors.

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Imagine if you will that it was Barry Bonds and not A-Rod......the feces would be hitting the fan in all 31 flavors.No it wouldn't. There would be no difference. And why should there be?

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I must say that the few that have taken my initial post seriously have provided a humorous and unexpected twist to this thread.

For the record, I was being sarcastic to prove a point.

But I'll ask again...where do we draw the line?

And why isn't Al Sharpton marching on the Newsday offices in Melville?

Steve 'StatMan'
02-22-2009, 05:45 PM
No it wouldn't. There would be no difference. And why should there be?

Because then Al Sharpton might care enough to get involved.

socantra
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I must say that the few that have taken my initial post seriously have provided a humorous and unexpected twist to this thread.

For the record, I was being sarcastic to prove a point.

For the record, what makes you think anyone took your initial post seriously and why would you possibly think that your ham handed attempt at sarcasm proved any sort of point.

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Why don't you read reply #6 again socantra.

Of course I didn't think YOUR sarcastic reply was taking my thread seriously. I know you better than that.

The point that is trying to be made is "WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE" at this "LOOKING FOR RACISM AROUND EVERY CORNER" business?

Maybe you can answer that question. Obviously, we can't draw a cartoon containing a chimp and refer to current events of the day if Obama is connected in any sort of way (never mind he didn't write the bill, which is what the caption of the cartoon refers to).

But, it seems to be ok if a white man calls Alex Rodriguez (a non-white man, a man of Dominican ancestry, a man who once referred to himself as bi-racial) a gorilla. Now, reasonable people of reasonable intelligence KNOW what Matthews meant.

I'm just wondering why some of the knee-jerk folks aren't out calling for a boycott of Newsday like they did the NY Post.

thespaah
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Columnist Wally Matthews (white man) in Newsday just called A-Rod a GORILLA! I shat you not...

I think you can see where I am going with this...on the heels of the chimp cartoon in the NY Post a few days ago...where's Al Sharpton when you need him?

I think you are being far too politically correct and on top of that hypersensitive.
Crap like what you are saying is one reason why we don't communicate any longer. People are afraid to say ANYTHING for fear of committing some kind of far flung obscure offense. Screw that and get a thicker skin.
Jesus Christ!
BTW have you ever heard the expression "800 lb gorilla"?
Example.."The XYZ company is the 800 pound gorilla of the ( choose business type)business in this area".
This is meant to indicate thwt XYZ id a really big company...
Well A-Rod commands a really big salary.
There was no racial intent here. Besides. Mr Rodriguez is Latino. I am sure you are into the black offense thing since you metioned one of this country's biggest race baiters.
It's people like you who are always loking for a racist under every bed. You open your mouth and set back race relations 20 years with your ignorant comments.
Leave it alone

PaceAdvantage
02-23-2009, 03:52 AM
How is it possible you have been registered here for over one year, have 400+ posts under your name and be absolutely clueless as to where I am coming from in this thread.

But thanks for making my point for me...I appreciate that...

Now, what did you think about the "Crazed Chimp" cartoon?

And why is it ok to call A-Rod a gorilla (even though you and I know what was meant by the comment), but it's not ok in a cartoon to link a crazy monkey to the writers of the crazy stimulus bill?

thespaah
02-23-2009, 08:12 AM
How is it possible you have been registered here for over one year, have 400+ posts under your name and be absolutely clueless as to where I am coming from in this thread.

But thanks for making my point for me...I appreciate that...

Now, what did you think about the "Crazed Chimp" cartoon?

And why is it ok to call A-Rod a gorilla (even though you and I know what was meant by the comment), but it's not ok in a cartoon to link a crazy monkey to the writers of the crazy stimulus bill?
OOPS. Sorry PA ..Just realized I replied to the worng poster. Apologies all around.
Was going after the OP.

thespaah
02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
OOPS. Sorry PA ..Just realized I replied to the worng poster. Apologies all around.
Was going after the OP.
Didn't see the cartoon in the Post. But what I find irritating is the double standrad.
Do you remember the Sarah Palin look a like mannequin that was hung in effigy from an apartment window in California?. Law enforcement was called to investigate and they determined the display was free speech. Now if that had been a likeness of Obama? Forget it. Al Sharpton would have burned the town to the ground and every Lefty would have applauded.
We don't have freedom of speech here anymore because it does not applly to everyone equally. And the most sad of this is we put up with it.

raybo
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I haven't read all the replies in the thread, but, I did read the article and, in no way, was the "gorilla" reference a racial slur.

It's taken from the old joke about "What can an 800 pound gorilla do?" , the answer is "Any damn thing he wants".

The joke might not be worded exactly right, but, you get the point.

Greyfox
02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
This guy wakes up one morning to find a gorilla in his tree. He looks in the phone book for a gorilla removal service until he finds one.

"Is it a boy or girl Gorilla?" the service guy asks. "Boy," is the man's response. "Oh yeah, I can do it. I'll be right there." An hour later the service guy shows up with a stick, a Chihuahua, a shotgun, and a pair of handcuffs. He then gives the man some instructions. "Now, I'm going to climb this tree and poke the gorilla with the stick until he falls.

When he does, the trained Chihuahua will bite the gorilla's testicles off. The gorilla will then cross his hands to protect himself and allow you to put the handcuffs on."

The man asks, "What do I do with the shotgun?"
"If I fall out of the tree before the gorilla, shoot the dog."

pktruckdriver
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Why don't you read reply #6 again socantra.

Of course I didn't think YOUR sarcastic reply was taking my thread seriously. I know you better than that.

The point that is trying to be made is "WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE" at this "LOOKING FOR RACISM AROUND EVERY CORNER" business?

Maybe you can answer that question. Obviously, we can't draw a cartoon containing a chimp and refer to current events of the day if Obama is connected in any sort of way (never mind he didn't write the bill, which is what the caption of the cartoon refers to).

But, it seems to be ok if a white man calls Alex Rodriguez (a non-white man, a man of Dominican ancestry, a man who once referred to himself as bi-racial) a gorilla. Now, reasonable people of reasonable intelligence KNOW what Matthews meant.

I'm just wondering why some of the knee-jerk folks aren't out calling for a boycott of Newsday like they did the NY Post.

Ok Bossman

Your sarcasm escaped me the first time, and I took you seriously, boy you must be laughing your azz off at me :lol: , maybe I need Al to help me out??

Patrick

CincyHorseplayer
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Isn't this a horseracing forum???

Sounds like you have too much time on your hands that's not self serving.

I spend most of my time thinking about vaginas and winning horse races.Occupying my time with such drama is very self soothing!Try it sometime.

Tom
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Ha ha. That reminds me of the time I was in Africa. One morning, I shot a gorilla in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know!

toetoe
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I think ex-footballer and, therefore, eminently qualified ( :rolleyes: ) analyst Simeon Rice should be our guide on this one. Oh, and once he has spoken, the debate will be OVER.

highnote
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Ha ha. That reminds me of the time I was in Africa. One morning, I shot a gorilla in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know!

Reminds me of the time my college roommate said he liked to eat Chinese food in his underpants. I told him that I prefer a bowl.

But back to PA -- maybe we're just a "nation of cowards". :D

JustRalph
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I haven't read all the replies in the thread, but, I did read the article and, in no way, was the "gorilla" reference a racial slur.

It's taken from the old joke about "What can an 800 pound gorilla do?" , the answer is "Any damn thing he wants".

The joke might not be worded exactly right, but, you get the point.

????

JustRalph
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
This guy wakes up one morning to find a gorilla in his tree. He looks in the phone book for a gorilla removal service until he finds one.

"Is it a boy or girl Gorilla?" the service guy asks. "Boy," is the man's response. "Oh yeah, I can do it. I'll be right there." An hour later the service guy shows up with a stick, a Chihuahua, a shotgun, and a pair of handcuffs. He then gives the man some instructions. "Now, I'm going to climb this tree and poke the gorilla with the stick until he falls.

When he does, the trained Chihuahua will bite the gorilla's testicles off. The gorilla will then cross his hands to protect himself and allow you to put the handcuffs on."

The man asks, "What do I do with the shotgun?"

wow! haven't heard that one in at least ten years..............

lamboguy
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM

I think you can see where I am going with this...on the heels of the chimp cartoon in the NY Post a few days ago...where's Al Sharpton when you need him?

i have to agree with you. not only should you boycott newsweek, you should expand that to every single newspaper, and media outlet that exisist in this world. they all tend to be biased and stretch the truth a bit from whatever side of the coin you are looking at!

BlueShoe
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Just for fun,would like to poke a hole in a very overused cliche;the 800 pound gorilla.Male gorillas in the wild average around 350 pounds,with an occasional very large silverback reaching 450.It is doubtful if a 500 pounder exists anywhere in the wild,although obese captive animals often will exceed that weight.Females are only half the weight of males.Now that we have gotten that straight,will mention that I sure as heck would not want a 400 pound gorilla in a room that I happened to be in.

cj's dad
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I fondly refer to my 2nd wife as the "gorilla my dreams"

JustRalph
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I fondly refer to my 2nd wife as the "gorilla my dreams"

Hopeless Romantic huh? :lol:

My wife's cooking could turn a chimp into an 800 pound Gorilla in a year :lol:
You heard of "comfort Food" my wife makes "Comfortably numb Food" It is great and when you're done eating you pass out...........

BlueShoe
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Ralph,does your wife ever read this forum?For your continued health and comfort,hope not,would not want to lose you to an untimely accident.

skate
02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Phila Inquirer looking for BR.

And the-skate agrees with the AG.:kiss:

JustRalph
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Ralph,does your wife ever read this forum?For your continued health and comfort,hope not,would not want to lose you to an untimely accident.

sometimes she looks over my shoulder............... :lol:

Judicious Player
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Actually, the columnist should have used the phrase "800 lb. gorilla", which does not, believe it or not, have any racial connotations.

An "800 lb. gorilla" can refer to an immmovable industry giant that dominates an industry. It seems to me that is all the columnist was referring to: A-Rod is simply a clubhouse nuisance; a dominating presence that cannot be moved or ignored because of his talent and expensive contract.

For the record, in the software industry, Microsoft would be considered the "800 lb. gorilla". If there are any attorneys out there, bar/bri would be considered the "800 lb. gorilla" in the bar review industry (a dominating company that prepares law students for the bar exam).

All said, the phrase is not necessarily racial.

Last season, Brett Favre was the Jets' "800 lb. gorilla".

Bubba X
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I mean, seriously...

What other newspapers have you successfully called for boycotts of?

PaceAdvantage
02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I seriously can't believe there are posters continuing to try and educate me on the common "800lb gorilla" phrase. Have we not gotten past this point already? Have I not, MANY REPLIES ago stated (more than once) that I KNOW what Matthews meant and that I KNOW he's not racist, and that I KNOW his comment wasn't racist?

However, you are all helping me prove my point. And if you don't know what exactly the point of this thread was, well, I suggest you read it until you do.

The word OBTUSE readily comes to mind. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Bubba X
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I seriously can't believe there are posters continuing to try and educate me on the common "800lb gorilla" phrase. Have we not gotten past this point already? Have I not, MANY REPLIES ago stated (more than once) that I KNOW what Matthews meant and that I KNOW he's not racist, and that I KNOW his comment wasn't racist?

However, you are all helping me prove my point. And if you don't know what exactly the point of this thread was, well, I suggest you read it until you do.

The word OBTUSE readily comes to mind. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Obviously you invite the responses you got when you decide to start a thread like this.

But you know that, since you start threads like this occasionally, if not frequently.

PaceAdvantage
02-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Read reply #3 in this thread again. Thanks.

And you know...nobody has YET answered my question...which was the POINT of this entire thread:

Where do we draw the line?

raybo
02-24-2009, 06:21 AM

And you know...nobody has YET answered my question...which was the POINT of this entire thread:

Why even ask the question? Obviously "we" don't draw the line. Believe what you wish. Others will believe what they wish, it's that simple. We can discuss what is racist and what isn't but in a free speech society there will always be controversies. That's the point, isn't it?

Bubba X
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM

YOU draw the line where YOU think it should be. That is the answer. You try to teach your own children how to make that decision for themselves, without making it for them.

But of course, you probably know that.

And you know, re-read my post a couple up. You start a thread like this, you are going to get responses that go against your strongly held belief.

But of course, you know that. To not know that would make you, well, obtuse.

As an extra-special bonus, you might look back to the thread you started titled. "Chris Dodd has gialnt balls," where you stated:

"These Democrats (and the morons who voted for them) have no shame."

You start a thread in that tone, you are going to get what you have gotten. Personally, I'm not offended, but it is amusing to read some of your posts in these threads where you are amazed, shocked, etc.., at what responses you've gotten.

Greyfox
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
But I'll ask again...where do we draw the line?

And why isn't Al Sharpton marching on the Newsday offices in Melville?

Your point is well taken.

Clearly there is a spectrum between racism and non-racism.
The line moves depending upon several variables.

For example, if one black man jokingly does a rap song wherein he says:
"Hey n---" he is not being racist. He's just a fellow "bro."
If a black man in a rap song refers to "nappy headed ho" that will be accepted.
In contrast, if a white man singing a rap song says "Hey n---" or "nappy headed ho" the Al Sharpton's of the world will be all over him for making racist comments.

So rule number one for line setting:
Rule # 1. The line varies dependent upon who's making the comment.
(The more your skin coloration matches who the remark is being said about, the more acceptable the comment.)

Rule # 2 depends on who the remark is being made about. Referring to someone as a gorilla is going to be inversely acceptable depending on the lightness of their skin. In effect, if they are a "pale face Albino" no concern will raised. Sensitivities increase concerning "gorilla and chimp remarks" when they are made about dark skin individuals.
Light skin = acceptable
Dark skin = your a racist
(Of course you may not be a racist, but the rule will kick in.)

Rule # 3. The setting of the "line" varies in accordance to the idolization that is held by a group towards an individual.
For example, Al Sharpton is not going to go "bananas" (no that is not a racist pun) if you call the local newseller an ape. On the other hand, the closer one gets to the current rock star Obama with any type of innuendo regarding a chimp, the more likely the Sharptons of the world will surface and fire.
For whatever reason, any slight against an icon is considered to be a threat. Take for example, the cartoons and books implying negative things about Mohammed. People's thought systems came under such threat that they that Salman Rushdie still fears for his life today.

So I suggest to you that there is a line. It changes depending upon the person who says it, who it's directed towards, the context that it's said in, and the more that it "threatens" the sensitivities of a particular group.

Okay those are my suggestions.
I'm guessing that several other posters here might be able to add to those three rules or modify them so that we might understand why and where the line is drawn.

cj's dad
02-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll have to keep these in mind the next time I visit Pimlico.:eek:

Tom
02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
OK, there's the line! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
And you know, re-read my post a couple up. You start a thread like this, you are going to get responses that go against your strongly held belief.What exactly is my strongly held belief? I get the feeling your answer isn't going to be the same as mine.

In this thread, my strongly held belief is to treat similar circumstances in a similar manner, or don't treat either at all.

If one newspaper draws a cartoon containing a dead chimp borrowed from one headline and applies it to another dominant headline (the questioning of the sanity of those who wrote the stimulus bill), and that newspaper comes under fire because some people think the chimp represents Obama...well...then why doesn't Newsday come under fire for outright calling A-Rod a gorilla?

You'll tell me that the gorilla reference was some old, well recognized saying "the 800lb gorilla," but couldn't he have easily substituted "elephant" for "gorilla" just the same? Why is Newsday not called out in a similar manner as the NY Post. Nobody has given me a reasonable answer as to why this is so.

Or, maybe I'm just being obtuse.

thespaah
02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
What exactly is my strongly held belief? I get the feeling your answer isn't going to be the same as mine.

In this thread, my strongly held belief is to treat similar circumstances in a similar manner, or don't treat either at all.

If one newspaper draws a cartoon containing a dead chimp borrowed from one headline and applies it to another dominant headline (the questioning of the sanity of those who wrote the stimulus bill), and that newspaper comes under fire because some people think the chimp represents Obama...well...then why doesn't Newsday come under fire for outright calling A-Rod a gorilla?

You'll tell me that the gorilla reference was some old, well recognized saying "the 800lb gorilla," but couldn't he have easily substituted "elephant" for "gorilla" just the same? Why is Newsday not called out in a similar manner as the NY Post. Nobody has given me a reasonable answer as to why this is so.

you'll probably never get the answer you want to read.
In any event, I am not going to tab this cartoon as racist.
This is up to interpretation. Each of us has our own view. Rodriguez is Latino. The primate slur is usually reserved for Afro-Americans. Based on that, I don't see the connection.
Anyway, that's that.
Good evening.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Rodriguez is Latino.Specifically, he's Dominican. And as such, there really is no pigeonholing him on race, as he himself once referred to himself as "bi-racial."

From Wiki:

The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% mixed race, 16% White and 11% Black.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic#cite_note-CIADemo-0) The mixed population is a racial mixture of black, white, and to an extent, Taíno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno) heritage.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic#cite_note-Guitar-11) The country's population includes a large Haitian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Haiti) minority. A smaller, yet significant presence of East Asians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asia) (primarily ethnic Chinese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Chinese) and Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people)) can be found throughout the population. Other ethnic groups in the country include Middle Easterners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East) — primarily Lebanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_people), Syrian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian) and Palestinians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian) — Germans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germans), Italians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italians), Portuguese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_people), Irish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_people), Corsicans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsica), French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_people), and Americans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States).According to a study by the CUNY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_University_of_New_York) Dominican Studies Institute, about 70% of the contemporary Dominican population has African ancestry.[59] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic#cite_note-CUNY-58) Most Dominicans self-identify as being of mixed-race rather than black, in contrast to African identity movements in the United States.

But again, this isn't the point. You're trying to split hairs by trying to label A-Rod as Latino.

thespaah
02-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Specifically, he's Dominican. And as such, there really is no pigeonholing him on race, as he himself once referred to himself as "bi-racial."

From Wiki:

But again, this isn't the point. You're trying to split hairs by trying to label A-Rod as Latino.
We agree to disagrree.
I am simply putting this into terms of the mood of the country regarding this obsession with political correctness and the double standards that surround this pox on America.
A few years ago then Cubs manager made a racist statements about white ballplayers in that they could not take the intense heat of summer.
He was given a hall pass.
Jesse Jackson referd to NYC as "hymietown". He got a hall pass. Louis Farakhan called Judaism "A gutter religion". He got a hall pass.
An apartment tenant in CA hangs a mannequin in the likeness of Sarah Palin from a nboose. It's called "free speech" by local authorities. Hall pass.
So you now see my frustration with this. The liberal left wants a "level playing field". Yes, as long as the playing field fits their agenda.
I use the "800 lb gorilla" analogy all the time.
So what.
A student at I thunk Brown University was disturbed by students outside his window. He did not see them He called them "water buffaloes". These girls just happened to be Black. They got into ta snit and a big investigation went forth. Of course it turned out ot be much ado about nothing. But for the people refered to as loud and obnoxious and being Black, they took the animal reference as racist because they were of African heritage and the animal indigenous to that continent.
See how silly this has become.
Enough!
Everyone needs to settle down and acquire a thicker skin.
JMO.

Bubba X
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Why is Newsday not called out in a similar manner as the NY Post. Nobody has given me a reasonable answer as to why this is so.

Why? Try these:
1. One is tied to the president. The other is a baseball player.
2. The cartoon was probably seen by many, many more people than the last paragraph of the ARod article.
3. One guy is fairly popular. The other is anything but.
4. The stimulus bill is fresh news. Steroids in baseball is not.
5. People probably care more about perceived insults about a president than they do about a confessed, lying, steroid using baseball player.

The cartoon presents a single image. You are trying to equate the impact of the perceived negativity of that image to a single, poorly chosen word in a several hundred word article. You might think they are, as you wrote, "similar circumstances." They are not. Right or wrong, that's why.

PaceAdvantage
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for their participation in this thread. Time for me to find some other windmills to tilt...

thespaah
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for their participation in this thread. Time for me to find some other windmills to tilt..."Gee sarge does this mean we're through for the day?"....OX(John Candy) to Sgt Hulka in "Stripes".

Bubba X
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for their participation in this thread. Time for me to find some other windmills to tilt...Congratulations and good luck. So many threads need a good dose of obtuseness.

JustRalph
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Congratulations and good luck. So many threads need a good dose of obtuseness.

This is why you are who you are, politically. You don't get it..............

skate
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
obviously, those obtusnosities will never understand, while i attempt to esplain why "the eight hundred lb Parrot" is sexist and absolute to the White Man.;)

hcap
03-01-2009, 05:50 AM
obviously, those obtusnosities will never understand, while i attempt to esplain why "the eight hundred lb Parrot" is sexist and absolute to the White Man.;)Holy shit! You have outdone yourself.

skate
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
the man doth skate on hyperboleeees:eek: