PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Lopez

cj
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Having watched his ride in the feature on Thursday and watched the replay a few times, could anyone here offer up any plausible explanation for his ride on Be Bullish? Do you think the stewards even bring it up or are they totally clueless?

For those that watch races, it is painfully obvious the C. Lopez stiff machine has been in full force this winter at Aqueduct.

boomman
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Having watched his ride in the feature on Thursday and watched the replay a few times, could anyone here offer up any plausible explanation for his ride on Be Bullish? Do you think the stewards even bring it up or are they totally clueless?

For those that watch races, it is painfully obvious the C. Lopez stiff machine has been in full force this winter at Aqueduct.

cj: I haven't seen all of the races at Aqueduct this winter as I have been focusing on other tracks given all of their cancellations and short fields there, but I respect your opinion greatly and know a number of other players who also share these sentiments. Will be taking a closer look via numerous replays of the Big A meet for sure..........

Boomer

onefast99
02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I would say he probably read this thread, nice win on a 5-1 shot beam Me Up yesterday at Aqueduct 6th race, just laid off the pace setter and rolled past him quite easily.

Shemp Howard
02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Like father, like son. His dad was the all-time stiff artist on the Jersey circuit.

:ThmbDown:

cj
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I would say he probably read this thread, nice win on a 5-1 shot beam Me Up yesterday at Aqueduct 6th race, just laid off the pace setter and rolled past him quite easily.

...which has absolutely nothing to do with the premise of the thread.

Tom
02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Especially when you consider the idea that he read the thread today and then went out and won a race yesterday!

BombsAway Bob
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Especially when you consider the idea that he read the thread today and then went out and won a race yesterday!
nominee #1 for post of the year... :D

onefast99
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
...which has absolutely nothing to do with the premise of the thread.
I just tried to add a little humor to the post. I watched the replay he did look a bit stiff on the horse and yes like many other jocks he has given bad rides in the past. My question to you is what jock hasn't? And why pick on CC? You should also direct your question directly to the stewards, with your contacts they should welcome your comments and suggestions with open arms.

jotb
02-22-2009, 10:02 AM

Hello CJ:

After, watching the replay just once, I can see why you feel this was a stiff job. Here's the problem with this. Who else is involved? Let's face it CJ, if you were the trainer of Be Bullish, would you ever ride Lopez again on any of your horses? You will need to watch and see what trainer Scott Schwartz will go to next time out with Be Bullish. It's not like Schwartz has only rode Lopez on a few horses over the year's. Schwartz has rode Lopez more than any other jockey since 1999. I think since 1999 he's rode in 190 races. His other go to rider would be Luzzi (160 races). Of course Lopez has won the most races for Schwartz in this period with 30. Scott Schwartz has won 154 races since 1999 which is not a whole lot. My point is, they have a long term business relationship.

I would think Lopez had some explaining to do after the race with Schwartz. What did Schwartz say to Lopez after the race? If you and I saw the same thing, I would think the trainer felt the same way. What excuse does Lopez give the trainer? Maybe, Lopez told Schwartz the horse was getting out the whole race. How does Schwartz handle Lopez's comments after the race? It's a given Be Bullish would have finished a clear cut 2nd with a better ride. That's an extra 7k in purse earnings for Schwartz. He's the breeder and owner for this NY BRED. Let's wait and see if this long term business relationship comes to an end. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't ride him again. Does the Schwartz family feel the same way? If they ride Lopez back on Be Bullish, I have to question Schwartz. Only time will tell....

Joe

onefast99
02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Yes you have the same issue as me, CJ just wants an answer to his question. Other then Shemp it seems as if no one else even cares.

cj
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I just tried to add a little humor to the post. I watched the replay he did look a bit stiff on the horse and yes like many other jocks he has given bad rides in the past. My question to you is what jock hasn't? And why pick on CC? You should also direct your question directly to the stewards, with your contacts they should welcome your comments and suggestions with open arms.

On a track almost certainly biased to speed and the inside, in a race with little speed, and on a horse that was the only one that remotely showed any speed, he basically made no effort at any point in the race while running about 4 paths wider than anyone else. There are bad rides, but this hardly falls into that category.

I do happen to watch all the riders in New York, and all the others combined don't add up to the number of puzzling rides given by Lopez. Again, I'm not talking bad rides, like the other day when Dominguez got himself stuffed aboard a 4 to 5 trying to be clever. Bad rides happen, it is the complete mysteries that bother me.

My point is that in other countries, the rider would absolutely be called in before the stewards to explain what happened. The trainer would be there also. The results would be made public. Here, we get nothing. Keep in mind, this wasn't a race at Beulah Park or Retama. This is a race at the biggest circuit in the country.

boomman
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes you have the same issue as me, CJ just wants an answer to his question. Other then Shemp it seems as if no one else even cares.

It may seem that way, but rest assured people care when a jockey gives "less than his all" on a horse, and I commented that I would definitely check this out (which I have done reviewing the pan shot and head-on several times) and this is a tough one. First of all, there is no question that he didn't put in a great deal of effort here, but he did pass several horses to run 3rd and usually when I see an out and out "stiff", the rider doesn't hit the board or make any effort to do so. As for Schwartz pulling Lopez from future mounts after this ride, doubt it will happen.............:confused:

Boomer

cj
02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
It may seem that way, but rest assured people care when a jockey gives "less than his all" on a horse, and I commented that I would definitely check this out (which I have done reviewing the pan shot and head-on several times) and this is a tough one. First of all, there is no question that he didn't put in a great deal of effort here, but he did pass several horses to run 3rd and usually when I see an out and out "stiff", the rider doesn't hit the board or make any effort to do so. As for Schwartz pulling Lopez from future mounts after this ride, doubt it will happen.............:confused:

Boomer

If it were a one time thing, I could understand. However, it is a consistent pattern with Lopez over the last few years. It just amazes me he is allowed to continue to ride at NYRA tracks.

cj's dad
02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Anyone able to post a video link to this race?

onefast99
02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
On a track almost certainly biased to speed and the inside, in a race with little speed, and on a horse that was the only one that remotely showed any speed, he basically made no effort at any point in the race while running about 4 paths wider than anyone else. There are bad rides, but this hardly falls into that category.

I do happen to watch all the riders in New York, and all the others combined don't add up to the number of puzzling rides given by Lopez. Again, I'm not talking bad rides, like the other day when Dominguez got himself stuffed aboard a 4 to 5 trying to be clever. Bad rides happen, it is the complete mysteries that bother me.

My point is that in other countries, the rider would absolutely be called in before the stewards to explain what happened. The trainer would be there also. The results would be made public. Here, we get nothing. Keep in mind, this wasn't a race at Beulah Park or Retama. This is a race at the biggest circuit in the country.
Here is something you didnt bring up in your assessment of CC's ride. How about the fact this horse just ran on 2-8 battled every step of the way with St Daimon before leo ran them down in late stretch. I didnt notice anywhere in his pp's that when they bring him back quick he can run. This was a tough field and the best horse on paper did win. Be Bullish was stuck on the outside and it looks as if going 8 wide on the clubhouse turn cost him a few lengths and 2nd place money but he wasnt going to win this one. I know its easy to say this after the race but the 2-8 speed duel took something out of this horse.

onefast99
02-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Anyone able to post a video link to this race?
I can forward it to someone off of racereplays. There is no head on shot.

cj
02-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Here is something you didnt bring up in your assessment of CC's ride. How about the fact this horse just ran on 2-8 battled every step of the way with St Daimon before leo ran them down in late stretch. I didnt notice anywhere in his pp's that when they bring him back quick he can run. This was a tough field and the best horse on paper did win. Be Bullish was stuck on the outside and it looks as if going 8 wide on the clubhouse turn cost him a few lengths and 2nd place money but he wasnt going to win this one. I know its easy to say this after the race but the 2-8 speed duel took something out of this horse.

What you say could be true, but it doesn't explain the total jockey non-effort.

The race had trouble filling. I believe they had to scramble for horses to get enough entered to make it go. Maybe this was a "favor" horse. If so, it is one that took a lot of money and is a very bad thing to do to the public. The horse that on paper looks like the "favor" horse actually ran second. For the record, I didn't bet one cent on the race.

BIG49010
02-22-2009, 10:40 AM
He did a nice job in the First on Saturday on Nkosi Reighs, the only speed in the race he breaks slow then takes horse wide.

cj
02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
He did a nice job in the First on Saturday on Nkosi Reighs, the only speed in the race he breaks slow then takes horse wide.

...from the rail no less. It was probably the new trainer. He was only 64% first off the claim coming in. ;)

rokitman
02-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Anybody have a recording of the trainers instructions to Lopez?

cj
02-22-2009, 11:03 AM

Of course not, but my point was they should have some explaining to do. Maybe there is a logical explanation for not trying with a horse that took a ton of money, I'd just like to hear it.

speed
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM

There should be a night club cover charge for lurkers like me. :)

Dahoss9698
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I will never ever understand the mentality of sticking up for cheaters. Whether it be trainers, jocks or really anyone. If you have a pulse and follow the NYRA circuit there are a few things you can count on year after year. One of them is during the winter when CC is here, he will without a doubt have way more than any jock in terms of "questionable" rides. And every year when it gets brought up people will defend it. :bang:

LIH
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Check with The Little Guy,

He is the resident expert on instructions given to jockeys, and rider failure to execute them properly.

cj
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM
There should be a night club cover charge for lurkers like me. :)

You earned your wristband with the 25th post.

boomman
02-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I will never ever understand the mentality of sticking up for cheaters. Whether it be trainers, jocks or really anyone. If you have a pulse and follow the NYRA circuit there are a few things you can count on year after year. One of them is during the winter when CC is here, he will without a doubt have way more than any jock in terms of "questionable" rides. And every year when it gets brought up people will defend it. :bang:

If you are referring to my post, I am the last guy on PA to defend cheaters of any kind, and have "lead the charge" several times on this board to expose them. And I am not for one second saying CC Lopez is guiltless, but in this one scenario I looked at, the case could be made that there might have been at least a little bit of effort on his part to get up for third. CJ immediately responded that CC has been "stiffing" 'em for a long time (not just this one incident of course) and I will certainly keep my eyes open on all of his rides from here on out, as I told CJ I respect his opinion and will follow this jock and watch all future rides closely. As I stated earlier, with all the bad weather and cancellations this winter I have simply put more of my focus on fair weather tracks and large fields...........

Boomer

pandy
02-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I missed this particular race so I have no comment on it, but I can say that Lopez, who I personally feel is a very talented rider, has also been a very profitable rider for me the past few years, especially on the inner track. This year he's done a great job of adjusting to the fact that the track no longer favors speed on most days. Of all the jockeys that I bet, I probably get less bad rides from CC than anyone with the possible exception of Ramon Dominguez.

onefast99
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
CJ is talking about this particular NY bred race. The horse in question Be Bullish just ran on 2-8 which was 13 days ago. He was in a speed duel with St Daimon for most of the race, Leo seized the opportunity to come off the fast pace and win drawing off. Be Bullish was used hard. Look at his past pp's other then one race where they wheeled him right back in 18 days(Nov) he really has not come back this quickly. Going 8 wide on the clubhouse turn cost the horse second but he was forced wide. I dont know how someone could ask the stewards to review this particular race and take any action against CC. If there is a better example of his purported "stiffing" please tell us the race and date. Mor Chances was the best horse in this race 30+ days since he came back off a win, solid beyer to boot. I also didnt bet this race, but CC did nothing wrong.

cj
02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't see how you can justify this ride based on how many days off the horse had. What does that have to do with being several paths wider than any other horse in the race on a track with an obvious inside bias? To each his own I guess.

onefast99
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't see how you can justify this ride based on how many days off the horse had. What does that have to do with being several paths wider than any other horse in the race on a track with an obvious inside bias? To each his own I guess.
CC elected to sit off the pace, watching this horse's past races he has done it before, especially in 6f races. He was outgunned to the front by the 3,2,4 and 5, the 1 horse who came back with 6 days rest kept his rail position and used it to close and finish second. I see where you may have felt that if CC went to the rail he may have gotten up for second, but he had to deal with his outside position and a horse who went wire to wire.