PDA

View Full Version : How many horses is Campbell going to ...

The Bit
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
OVERDRIVE this winter? Just because you are the lowest number on the toteboard doesn't mean you are driving Somebeachsomewhere.

Never thought I'd say it, but Campbell off is going to be a viable angle here soon.

camluck49
02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
well JC will make moves and if the horse isnt ready it will collaspe. I was betting him last week and he got locked on the rail and overdrove a few others. I pitched him last night and of course he beat me at 55 to 1 on on the 2 horse running 3rd in the triple. The big M im close but just cant cash right now, need to take a break.

nijinski
02-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks to people bashing him ,I got some good odds tonight.

JC is a little older and perhaps a little achy from old injuries,but he
knows his way around the Meadowlands.
Maybe we'll see him in the Hambo winner circle again soon .
The man can drive a trotter or a pacer , he's still a fine seasoned driver.

The Bit
02-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm glad you got good odds on him. However, that wasn't a good drive with Southwestern Dream and he even said so in the interview after the race.

nijinski
02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
But I still won't write him off.
Absolut Hall was also fine with me at 11-1 for place and show money.He should have been co favorite or at least the 9-2 morning line.I thought he
rode him well .If the betting public continues to dismiss him,that's ok
with me.

The Bit
02-22-2009, 02:04 AM
I'll take your word about his good steer on Absolut Hall, though I don't see what was very special about it. However, for that one good drive, he has overdriven quite a few in the last few weeks. And yes, his two terrible drives on Flash Lightning have cost me money. Flash Lightning, Armbro Durable, Order By Lincoln, I could probably find others that probably could/would run better with some patient handling and a trip.

Do you realize he is only winning at 5%? And at one point he was 0 for 90 something I think? And yes, I realize he isn't driving everynight of the week this time of the year and he doesn't have as many drives, but I'm not talking about number of winners. The fact that he is only driving the weekend cards means he is getting behind better stock than most of the other guys who are driving the Wed. night Nw1 and low condition trotters. Better stock and not driving the bad midweek races should equal a higher percentage.

nijinski
02-22-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm probably not there as much as you so I will take your word for it if you say
he put in some bad drives.
I did watch the races live few weeks back ,and while yes ,the quality may have been better than the weekday's he was not driving anything worthwhile.

toetoe
02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Bit,

For me he already is a throwout almost every time. :(

The Bit
02-22-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm probably not there as much as you so I will take your word for it if you say
he put in some bad drives.
I did watch the races live few weeks back ,and while yes ,the quality may have been better than the weekday's he was not driving anything worthwhile.

Well he isn't getting anything worse to drive than Goodell and Manzi, yet he isn't winning at the percentage that they are.

I'm not saying he isn't or wasn't a great driver. That fact is obvious. However, to come into this thread and exclaim you got great odds on a great driver because of my bashing is a bit excessive. I'm not bashing, just telling it how it is.

The Bit
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Bit,

For me he already is a throwout almost every time. :(

I'm not ready to make that statement yet, but it is getting close.

camluck49
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
ranked 11th at Med, 10 wins udr of 122.

Driver Standings
H Driver Starts 1st 2nd 3rd Win Pct UDRS Earnings
1 D Miller 406 64 52 57 16% 0.276 $1,117,380
2 G Brennan 401 60 60 38 15% 0.264 $1,068,890
3 B Sears 381 50 38 49 13% 0.230 $922,681
4 D Dube 379 45 42 41 12% 0.216 $807,740
5 A Miller 366 42 43 34 11% 0.211 $764,665
6 T Tetrick 230 42 37 23 18% 0.305 $695,070
7 Y Gingras 354 37 44 30 10% 0.202 $752,260
8 R Pierce 337 35 35 36 10% 0.197 $779,996
9 E Goodell 303 23 17 39 8% 0.150 $462,759
10 C Manzi 210 14 16 22 7% 0.144 $267,193
11 J Campbell 187 10 14 15 5% 0.122 $236,950

nijinski
02-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Well he isn't getting anything worse to drive than Goodell and Manzi, yet he isn't winning at the percentage that they are.

I'm not saying he isn't or wasn't a great driver. That fact is obvious. However, to come into this thread and exclaim you got great odds on a great driver because of my bashing is a bit excessive. I'm not bashing, just telling it how it is.
Actually I am not that naive to think your post created those odds,I was just
trying to throw so humor into the thread.
Of course it is obvious JC is slowing down,bit it is just MO that if he had a live
horse he does the best job he can and an honest one.

The Bit
02-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Well I'm sure he isn't the only one in the country who does an honest, good job, but doesn't succeed. :)

whyhorseofcourse
02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Campbell's over driving is not an issue with me.

I am starting to get POed at the way Brian Sears drives.
He constantly waits till the last minute to make the move, he either looks a genius or a bafoon. Either way he gets praised for it. He drives confidently, which is fine but when you hand ride a horse and get nipped at the wire or have a chance at a good second over trip but would rather wait because your horse is a closer and end up getting locked in. That is when confidence costs you.

I havent seen a drive in a while that Sears had that I said "Wow only Brain Sears".

I honestly dont mind, because he is constantly overbet. But its when I am watching racing and not betting it (as a fan) and he gets himself into trouble during a race (costing owners and trainers money) I get pretty pissed off.

IMHO Brian Sears is more about his image then Driving horses its not only being one of the best but looking the best too.

The Bit
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Sears is def. in a slump and he doesn't seem to always be in that perfect spot that he has been in the last couple seasons. Last year it seemed everyrace he drove in he ended up in the pocket or 2nd over. It was amazing how many great trips he worked out. Not so much this year.

Since we are on the topic, Goodell seems to have slid a bit. He was the king of the longshots the last few seasons because he worked out decent trips and made good decisions. This year, not so much.

LottaKash
02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think anyone is in a slump....

I think the yo-yo winter form is more of a factor than anything.....Plus there are not a lot of in form horses currently racing as of now.......If you couple that with the fact that are just a whole lot of whiz-bang good drivers, and they are looking for their due, and combine that with a lot of trainers alliances have changed their complexions as of late, then is it any wonder, why the top ones are up against it so far this season.....

As for Campbell, he is still a top flight driver on any score and at any track, at least in my book....True he has slowed down some, and some of his best trainers's have changed brand loyalty as well, but that dowsn't take anything away from his true talents.....It is just that he doesn't have his pick of the litter these days, and that has hurt his credentials as of now....When he has a live horse, he still knows how to get them home, especially without harming them, so they have something left for the next race(s).....

When the conditions are prime, I will never hesitate to put my money on him......When he doesn't get them home first when I thought otherwise, I always look to my own asessment of the race first...Sometimes good form is an illusion with an important ingredient that may been overlooked or missing from the whole picture.....

my $.02 anyway..

best,

mrroyboy
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I think you're right John

I think Meadowlands track conditions are the problem. It's not just that is snowy and cold. One day it's 20 degrees and the next day 45 degrees.That's got to affect the track and the horses.

LottaKash
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I think you're right John

I think Meadowlands track conditions are the problem. It's not just that is snowy and cold. One day it's 20 degrees and the next day 45 degrees.That's got to affect the track and the horses.

I think that's it Roy, when the temp is a crazy yo-yo, that is what happens at the Big-M, as well as othe tracks.....Look at this past Sat-nite-2/21/09...That track was lightning quick, to say the least and just look at those quick halfs, 3/4's and final times.....It is tough to contend sometimes when there is either a early speed/closer bias, as well as a pace bias....That is why so many horses are having a hard time closing in on their best form.......It will change soon, it always does......

best,

The Bit
03-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Add Celebrity Playboy to the list ...

Last week he looped the entire field from last or 2nd to last to win under Pierce. Tonight, with Pierce suspended, John hustles to hold position from the rail, brushes to the front and fades through the lane as the 3/5 favorite.

sonnyp
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
just a memory to bore you guys. in 1970's i was a second trainer for stanley dancer with a string of horses at the meadowlands. we had mistletoe shallee, zoot suit and saville row among others in the barn.

the meadowlands was wonderful. the best contingents of horsemen,horses and gamblers came from every racing jurisdiction in north america to compete.

california - joe obrien, stan bayless
chicago- jim dennis, dan shetler,jerry grahm
detroit- frank o'mara,merrit dokey
new jersey-mike gagliardi,carl lecause, george berkner
canada- ray remmen, shelly goodreau, greg wright, buddy gilmour and a young kid with a bunch of horses with the word "argyle" in all their names......john campbell.

that was a long time ago.......hard to believe he's still doing it.

in a sportworld full of ***holes and jerks, he's always conducted himself with class and dignity and has been a credit to his profession through his monumental success.