PDA

View Full Version : Researching Track Bias/Track Profiles

Force of One
02-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Hello all,

New to the site, but have really enjoyed reading everyones thoughts so far. I have a question I was hoping you could all help me out with:

I am looking to get stronger in my handicapping with regards to understanding track bias/running styles that win/etc.

In my reading I have encountered two source of info on this: Brohmers "Modern Pace Handicapping" (Track Profiles) and Davidowtiz "Betting Thoroughbreds" (Track Bias). I have used this material with mixed results, but in my quest to round out my handicapping and leave no stone unturned, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any other books (or other resources for that matter) that would be of benefit.

Thanks in advance and much luck at the windows!

boomman
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello all,

New to the site, but have really enjoyed reading everyones thoughts so far. I have a question I was hoping you could all help me out with:

I am looking to get stronger in my handicapping with regards to understanding track bias/running styles that win/etc.

In my reading I have encountered two source of info on this: Brohmers "Modern Pace Handicapping" (Track Profiles) and Davidowtiz "Betting Thoroughbreds" (Track Bias). I have used this material with mixed results, but in my quest to round out my handicapping and leave no stone unturned, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any other books (or other resources for that matter) that would be of benefit.

Thanks in advance and much luck at the windows!

Force of One: First of all, welcome to the site! You have mentioned 2 outstanding sources of handicapping (both of which I have read myself) and @ the risk of not sounding too much like a "hawker", I also wrote a couple of books on horse racing including 1 which specifically breaks down 12 actual races from DRF via the formulas I have been using for the last 25+ years. No pressure, but if you decide to check it out let me know via PM if you have any questions........

Boomer

DanG
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
You mentioned ‘Modern Pace Handicapping and Ken Massa (HTR) was the programmer for the Brohamer’s MPH software so his newsletters might be of interest; and the archives are free btw.

http://www.homebased2.com/km/library.htm#newsletters

JustRalph
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
The problem with finding track bias is finding good data on it.

You have to have every race cataloged and some form of software or plan to analyze it. Too many times when I hear about a track bias, it is anecdotal evidence and not good factual data.

The same with rail bias. Good data, good conclusions.

Garbage in, Garbage out..............

Charlie
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Force of One...... Winner's File, written by the late Henry Kuck is a very good overall read. Chapter 29 is devoted to Finding Track Bias. The chapter itself is only 4 pages, but still is very informative. Welcome to the Board.

Tom
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Charlie,

That was a very good book...lots of good observations by Henry. :ThmbUp:

Force of One
03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks Charlie (& Tom), I had never heard of it, but will definitely check it out.