PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Tom
04-12-2003, 09:58 AM
In IE6.0, in the favorites drop down window, how do you get the favorites to stay where you put them? In IE5.0, all I did was drag them to the spot I wanted and drop them there and they stayed put. In 6.0, they always go back to the orignal spot they were saved to. I have renamed them, gone into the directory itself and sorted them, nothing works.

I am using W98SE.

WINMANWIN
04-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
In IE6.0, in the favorites drop down window, how do you get the favorites to stay where you put them? In IE5.0, all I did was drag them to the spot I wanted and drop them there and they stayed put. In 6.0, they always go back to the orignal spot they were saved to. I have renamed them, gone into the directory itself and sorted them, nothing works.

I am using W98SE.

Tom, Go to organize favorites and then you can move them anywhere you want. Hope that does it.

Tom
04-12-2003, 06:23 PM
OnceI exited IE and then came back, it was gone again.
Nothing works. Can you still get IE 5 anywhere - I really think IE 6 is a step backwards - like most microsoft programs - all they do in updates is screw things up. I swear I will NEVER buy nor update anything put out by micosh*t. Although, W98SE is nearing its end - everyone tells me I have to re-install it. Wrong. When it crashes, I am out of the computer business until someoone out there writes an OS that works and that has programs availabel for it. Unless they are broadcasting Bill Gates funeral on the web- for that, I would buy a new system just to watch.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I avoided installing ANYTHING IE6 or XP related on my Win98SE machine. I found it just messed lots of stuff up. So, I pretty much left win98 alone and set up a dual-boot with Windows 2000.

W2k is quite good with IE6 and Outlook Express 6, etc. Those newer versions were designed to work with Win2k and XP.

These are of course my experiences....your mileage may vary...LOL

gillenr
04-12-2003, 11:14 PM
I have had the same problem, BUT INTERMITTANTLY! One thing that seems to work all the time is, after dragging up or down in the list, immediately open the link.

JustRalph
04-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Tom

Don't go back to IE5 unless you really have to. In fact installing 5 over top of 6 can shut you down. You will have to format and start over if you do that on some machines. 5 is also 30% slower overall on some sites.

To get the menu in the pic below open the menu out to where you can see the favorites you want to sort and then right click on the list of favorites.

Try this: for sorting your favorites. I can make them go where I want by naming them appropriately......when you sort them like the pic below you get an alphabetical listing. Try naming conventions that are different.

Cnn.com
Foxnews.com

Above would be in alphabetical order. What if you want it the other way around?

Foxnews.com
x_Cnn.com

Makes it show up the way you want it. It works very well in the
"Links Folder" across the top of your browser. Give it a whirl
http://home.columbus.rr.com/justralph/sort.jpg

Tom
04-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Will not sort by anything - click on sort by name and nothing happens. This computer is cursed. I am going to the computer store today to find a real browser - not a beta one like IE.
thanks for the help, everyone.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2003, 08:16 PM
I still say one should not mix anything XP related (like IE6) with win98.....

JustRalph, what is your opinion?? I know you do this kind of stuff for a living, right?

JustRalph
04-13-2003, 09:07 PM
From the microsoft knowledge base. Check on this
I actually know somebody who had to do this. You have to make up some sub folders. Let me know ........the article doesn't say IE6 but that wouldn't be the first time that was wrong.

PA, In my experience IE6 can be a problem in Win98 if you have upgraded one step at a time thru more than a few versions. The crap gets convoluted to a point where you are mixing some very old stuff with some new. I had a machine with this problem a while back. It came with Win98 (first edition) I installed it clean and immediatly pulled out a IE6 CD and upgraded it straight away before I put anything else on it. Also did the same with latest version of direct X . They tell me the machine is fine now.
So your point can be valid depending on the machine.

Favorites May Not Sort in Alphabetical Order
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 95
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 95

This article was previously published under Q259735
SYMPTOMS
When you try to sort your favorites in alphabetical order, some of the favorites may not appear in order.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if you have more that 193 favorites listed on the Favorites menu.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, move the favorites into subfolders, or delete any unused favorites until you have less than 193.

Tom
04-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I still say one should not mix anything XP related (like IE6) with win98.....

JustRalph, what is your opinion?? I know you do this kind of stuff for a living, right?

It sounds logical that you shouldn't mix micro-crap, but then why does MS alert me to the IE6 update when I look for W98 updates?
Oh, yeah - they want me to screw up my system totally so I will have to buy a new one - that's Gates startegy - he is as crooked and unethical as they come. I guess that is the one thing I agree with CLinton on - I would spend more money to put this sorry-ass POS shit in jail than Bin Laden, too <G>

JR - thanks for the help-I made folders for the main favs I use every day, so i don't have to rely on anything MS builds in that won't work anyways.

Dave Schwartz
04-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Tom,

I recall from previous conversations that you have an unstable Win98 installation.

IMHO, things will only get worse until you ultimately are forced to format c: and reinstall again.

Dave

Tom
04-14-2003, 11:18 PM
Reformat? There will peace in the middle east long before I do that. <G>
I am prepared to leave the land of computers and wait until a real OS with widespread software support sold by a reputable company (NOT MS) comes onto the market. I will never buy another prodcut from MS. I will not miss having to be slave to a stupid POS machine that only makes things more complicated that they need be. I have a box of pencils, a pad of paper, and Finger Lakes is 7 miles away. Racing is covered. SR+TV, add 5 points for top 3 trainers/jocks. Capping done. Have a beer. Racing the way it was meant to be

:eek: