PDA

View Full Version : Wealthy Tax Cheats Caught

Secretariat
02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN1846444020090218?sp=true

UBS to identify customers, pay $780 million
By James Vicini

WASHINGTON, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Swiss banking giant UBS AG (UBSN.VX) (UBS.N) agreed to pay $780 million and identify certain U.S. customers in a deal to resolve criminal fraud charges that it assisted rich American clients evade taxes, the Justice Department said on Wednesday.

It said that Switzerland's largest bank has entered into what is known as a deferred prosecution agreement on charges of conspiring to defraud the United States by impeding the U.S. tax collection agency, the Internal Revenue Service.

Department officials said the agreement was unprecedented in pulling aside Switzerland's much-vaunted tradition of bank secrecy and described it as one of the biggest settlements ever. They said UBS admitted to helping U.S. taxpayers hide accounts from the IRS.

An indictment unsealed in November alleged that Weil and other unidentified bankers conspired to help 17,000 Americans hide $20 billion of assets in Swiss bank accounts in order to avoid paying U.S. taxes.

And in June, a former UBS banker, Bradley Birkenfeld, pleaded guilty to helping a billionaire hide $200 million in assets from U.S. tax authorities and agreed to cooperate in the investigation."

prospector
02-19-2009, 11:53 AM
how come we never hear about the poor tax cheats caught?
how about equal time...

Dave Schwartz
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
My guess is that there are more than a few "smart" people who are not sleeping so well.

Secretariat
02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
how about equal time...

Maybe because it doesn't add up to 20 billion?

The Judge
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I read the article and it does indeed say that the secrecy vail has been lifted with these overseas accounts. Yet this would wipe out all accounts in other countries soon. I just don't believe this there must be more.

lsbets
02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I saw the thread title and assumed it was about another cabinet appointment.

boxcar
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe because it doesn't add up to 20 billion?

But...there are many times more "poor" people than rich. How could you have forgotten this, since libs are so big on pushing their class envy acts on Americans at every opportunity?

Boxcar

schweitz
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I saw the thread title and assumed it was about another cabinet appointment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JustRalph
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I thought the Treasury Sec and Tom Daschle got pulled over for speeding

Secretariat
02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
But...there are many times more "poor" people than rich.

Wow....you actually noticed. Let's hope you nver forget it.

boxcar
02-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow....you actually noticed. Let's hope you nver forget it.

And you know what? This fact of life will never, never change. You can bank on it. In any society. Any place in the world. So...get over it. Stop supporting brain-dead, freedom-hating morons who want make everyone equally miserable with their idiotic, inane social engineering schemes because that's all that can happen whenever they try "leveling the playing field". Try for once in your life to get at least one of your feet touching the ground of reality. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

magwell
02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I saw the thread title and assumed it was about another cabinet appointment. CLASSIC.....:)

Tom
02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
How come we always have to spread the wealth around but never the responsibility?

Secretariat
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
And you know what? This fact of life will never, never change. You can bank on it. In any society. Any place in the world. So...get over it. Stop supporting brain-dead, freedom-hating morons who want make everyone equally miserable with their idiotic, inane social engineering schemes because that's all that can happen whenever they try "leveling the playing field". Try for once in your life to get at least one of your feet touching the ground of reality. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Sad to hear a supposedly Christian man with this take. I'm not sure why you feel that going after wealthy tax cheats (the subject of this thread) is "supporting brain-dead, freedom-hating morons who want make everyone equally miserable with their idiotic, inane social engineering schemes"

cj's dad
02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Because responsibility is the longest 4 letter word in a libs vocabulary.

How come we always have to spread the wealth around but never the responsibility?

ezrabrooks
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Now UBS is saying they are not going to release the names.

Ez

ddog
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
how about equal time...

poor tax cheats, poor don't pay fed income taxes or have "gains" to hide overseas while living here and taking advantage of our welfare to the rich.

ddog
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Now UBS is saying they are not going to release the names.

Ez

UBS has to try to stonewall , this is just the beginning if they cave they are out of the "privacy" biz.

Of course I doubt the regulars who chimed in with their jokes will understand the nature of some of the info that may be hidden in these "private" banks.

We wouldn't be "surprised" to find drug money and/or a little terrorist funding being ran through these would we???

Nah , could never never happen, it's all just class warfare.

Of course class warfare is what the country was built on , to deny it is to be blinded to ones surroundings.

it's not the idea of the war , it's which side is thought to be winning.